Pregnant and wanting to loose weight.

Options
Hello all! So quick background. I joined about 9 months ago and was on here for 3 and lost almost 15 lbs. Then I started working again and got engaged and got pregnant so all that took up a lot of my time. I started at 223, and left at 209. I am now 218 and 3 months pregnant. My Dr just gave me the OK to do moderate exercise. I want to eat healthy and loose weight if possible, or if not to at least maintain it until after baby is born in July. Has anyone else gone through this and have any advice?
Thank you,

Alyssah

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :flowerforyou: Talk to your OB/GYN Doctor regarding your diet/ nutrition and weight loss during pregnancy. Don't take advice from people on the internet!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, yes. Don't cut calories, though, eat at your TDEE "maintenance level". You need all of that nutrition for the baby. Walk, or better yet, swim. Swimming is very low impact.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks lades :) My Dr just said to walk I can also ride my bike after my 16 week appt. I will start swimming when it gets warmer here! Its freezing! Im not cutting calories, but just not eating 2500. I'm eating about 1800 a day, with lots of water and walking. I have ALL my 100 lbs still on my from my first pregnancy and trying to not gain anymore :). My OB said it was fine to just maintain my weight and I was big enough to not really have to gain any.
  • karimah_jamila
    karimah_jamila Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just from my experience, engage in moderate activity. Instead of a diet or lowering caloric intake just make healthier meal choices. I wouldn't try to lose weight, but maintain your weight gain from here on out. Up until my 6 month I barely gained weight then in the last few weeks I gained a gang of weight from overeating. Congrats on your bundle of joy!
  • sherry_ann_mt
    sherry_ann_mt Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ob nurse here.....pregnancy is NOT a time to lose weight......you are growing another human and your body needs healthy eating and moderate excercise. Please speak to your ob provider regarding how much weight you should be GAINING during pregnancy. blessings to you.....
  • RenaeNguyen
    RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I brought in my fitness pal app on my phone and showed my doctor what exactly I've been eating and she said it was perfectly fine and it was perfectly fine for me to work out as well.... Well I didn't listen and I started junking out and I gained weight... I'll be here on this journey for you, I have to maintain my weight for the rest of my pregnancy, I recently lost 100 pounds, And then I game 30 when I got pregnant. My doctor told me to keep up what I'm eating and just add maybe 15 to 30 cal a day and that was it. But definitely talk to your OB/GYN about what you're going to be eating and your caloric intake :-) good luck
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :flowerforyou: Talk to your OB/GYN Doctor regarding your diet/ nutrition and weight loss during pregnancy. Don't take advice from people on the internet!!!

^ This.

And do pelvic floor exercises!!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! My opinion is I would go for nice long moderate walks. It's good excersize and a great stress reliever. And eats lots of veggies and fruits. I would worry about hard workouts after the baby is born.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts, and can only contribute my own experience. With my first pregnancy, I originally weighed about 180lbs. By the day I had my daughter I had only gained about ten lbs, and when I left the hospital (vaginal birth, so about a day and a half later) I weighed less than before, and put on a pair of jeans that barely fit me before I was pregnant a week or so later. Much like you, I had started working towards my goals before I was pregnant, but I felt a renewed drive to be healthier for during, and of course, after my pregnancy. As of right now, I am about 5 months pregnant and I have lost a few lbs since conception. I exercise 6 days a week, lift weights, and eat plenty (nutrition and calorie-wise). Feel free to look at my food diary. What I would tell you is follow the exercise guidelines given by your doctor. If you don't eat clean now, try your best to add healthful foods closer to their natural form. Now that I do get the things me and my baby DO need, I hardly have room for the bad stuff. Don't worry about losing weight right now. If you eat cleaner and get all the veggies/fruits/good oils/protein/carbs that you need, you will be losing some body weight that is strictly yours. Your blood volume is doubling, so this is a good time to gain some lean muscle that will help you recover from birth and drop weight faster. Also, drink a ton of water, you need it even more now! FYI, my first child was a perfectly healthy baby and this pregnancy is going very well. Also, my skin looks and feels so much better, and my heartburn which was terrible is near nonexistent. Hope this helps.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I do not want to be preachy about this, because it is a very personal choice; but breastfeed if you can and choose to do so. I have always heard estimates that it burns 500 cal/day, and of course, is the best for baby. I think it has other benefits for you too, though. When I breastfed (unfortunately I did not do it for as long as I would have liked to), weight just seemed to fall off of me and I was hungry all the time, so I ate a lot. Please keep in mind that I unfortunately have to be damn near perfect to lose any weight at all. I don't have a sweet tooth, don't drink soda, etc. (Carbs are my weakness, like homemade mac and cheese, and late at night.) Because I still had a responsibility to nourish my baby while breastfeeding, that same fierce motivation to put only healthy things in my body hung around longer. I know you can get a lot of hateful feedback when you say you want to lose weight while pregnant, but those of us who have done so know what you mean, and that you do not want to harm your baby. Personally, I'm 211 lbs, and I'm simply trying to maintain my weight. If I lose a little great, and if I gain a little that's great too. I know that I eat right and trust my body is doing what needs to be done for both of us.