Advice for eating out at a Mexican Restaurant.

Options

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    1) Order food
    2) Eat food

Stop acting like one meal is going to make you "fat." Friday 1/4/13 I had dinner at BD Mongolias. I had a giant 20+ ounce beer, 4 plates of stir-fry with meats, veggies and sauces, a glass of sangria, and wrapped it up with deep-fried Oreos with chocolate drizzle and ice cream. I was 201 that morning, and 205 the next morning. I laughed about it. Yesterday (do the math - 4 days later) I was 199.

Why do we say that weight loss is a "LIFE-LONG COMMITMENT"? Because the events of ONE DAY have VERY LITTLE influence.

Go have a nice dinner out. Quit making mountains out of a bowl of nachos.

I agree, except if you are eating like this every week or so. If you gain 4 lbs with one meal and then it takes 4 -5 days to lose it again and then you repeat each week, you don't get anywhere. And that can be frustrating. I think that he either has to stay clear of Mexican dining "birthday celebrations" except for the occasional meal OR find leaner substitutes for the usual Mexican restaurant meal that he likes to order. Ask how they prepare their food. Anything baked is better than fried. Stay clear of nacho cheese, if that's possible. (I know this isn't something that I can do easily.) Avoid the sour cream and limit guacamole. Here's a website that might prove helpful: http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm
  • camilla48
    camilla48 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have received lots of good tips. Just be careful. The SALT will cause you to retain fluids and weight gain may show up a couple of days later. I ate Mexican last week and posted .5 gain the following day, and then a 2lb gain the day after. Fortunately, it was all water and the 2.5 extra lbs fell off pretty easily in a few days, but it was horrifying at time.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is *very* healthy. Eat it without guilt. So is salsa! Skip the rice and the chips and the refried beans.

I'm always wary of restaurant guac. Common recipes add sour cream & other junk so it's not as good for you.

My rule of thumb, if it looks like a true green of an avocado, eat it. If it looks like it's whiter/added in sour cream, don't eat it. Or you could ask the waitress. I guess that's easier :P

That's insane!! Our mexican restaurant makes their guac in front of you. I love it! It is just advocados, lime juice, salsa and salt. I make the same version at home. Good stuff :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Chicken Enchilada no rice or beans
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Umlimited Chips and salsa
    This is where everyone's demise starts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Umlimited Chips and salsa
    This is where everyone's demise starts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

...and the pitcher of sangria you intended to "split" with your friends
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I normally have what I call a street taco when I go. Different restaurants call it different things but if you normally ask for a street taco, they know what you mean. Basically, it is a corn tortilla with chipped fajita beef on top (or chicken, pork, or barbacoa) with grilled onions and then topped with fresh cilantro. Some restaurants go ahead and top it with some Salsa but if they don't then top it with salsa and squeeze a lime onto it. I also sprinkle a little salt on top (and I do mean a little!) with the lime but that is your choice. I have seen some restaurants give lemon wedges instead of lime but you really want the lime. These are delicious and although they are not perfect they are so much healthier than a chimichanga!!! I have also had one restaurant over the years that put tomato and lettuce on it....yuck!!! That is not a street taco when they do that!!

Man, now I want a taco!!
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    When I go out to lunch, I go with a friend from work and we split chicken fajitas. It comes with chicken, onions, tomatoes, and green peppers. Than alll the salad stuff and 3 tortillas. We split everything. When I did Weight Watchers, this was the best bet and the points usually totalled 12. Skip the cheese and add the salsa. And try as hard as you can to skip the chips.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I LOVe Mexican. I've learned to enjoy it and still be successful.

The fajita advice is good--you can see what you're putting in that tortilla, or dont have the totilla.

Count the chips. Don't dip them in cheese. Salsa is good for you and has barely any calories.

Guac is good for you, eat a little. Not an entire bowl, though.

Shrimp tacos are good. The place I go does lettuce, pico de gallo and shredded cheese. I leave it all on, but you can opt for no cheese. Chicken tacos are great too.

Log whatever you eat, even if you eat more than you wanted to.

Realize that you can allow yourself to go and have a chimichanga or whatever you're really wanting. Log it, work out some more, whatever. Sometimes my best weigh ins come after a week where I've had a "cheat" meal. My body loves the extra calories. I think it helps boost my metabolism and keep my body functioning on a more normal and less of a diet level. Diets aren't fun if you don't find ways to enjoy what you're eating.
  • hesterterri
    hesterterri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican also. ! I get the chicken fajitas and take a tub of my own fat free sour cream with me to the restaurants . I have also been known to take a whole wheat tortilla and a bag of blue chips with me but now I have learned I don't need those extra carbs. You can have all the veggies that come with It. I know it sounds crazy but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If you are serious about losing weight -you need to take a few drastic measures. It will pay off in the end. Remember - Skinny never tasted so....good ! PS. Buy a purse big enough to carry your own stuff ( your own low fat salad dressing is a must). Good Luck !
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Green salad from the side dishes. Dressing on the side.
    Avocado tostado.

We also have a grilled chicken and salad option at the local place. Dressing on the side.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    1. no guacamole or sour cream (ask for it to be omitted)
    2. soft shell everything
    3. portion control
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mexican food. Personally I would have a buritto smothered in cheese and sour cream.
    Anything covered in cheese or sour cream is "mexican" food.

Get some seafood in ya. Ceviche's a great choice, as are any seafood cocktails.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a bowl of sopa de albondigas (meatball soup) and a side salad with salsa on top instead of dressing.

Dang it.....now I'm hungry.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love everyone telling the OP to avoid sour cream, salsa and guacamole. I put all three of those toppings on my mexican salads SEVERAL times a week.

People REALLY need to educate themselves before they talk.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    LOTS of good advice so far that I won't repeat. The only thing I haven't noticed so far is PLENTY OF WATER! At previous job, we went to local Mexican restaurant so often they knew our orders by heart (impressive considering their capacity of ~80 people and were often full during lunch). I'd start with 2 glasses of water, the 2nd with no ice to refill the first. I'd glug the ice water BEFORE eating chips and finish the 'refill' while eating some chips. Once the main course arrived, I'd put half in a to-go box and they'd refill both glasses. These were tall glasses so I estimate that I drank ~48-64oz during lunch. Kept me away from chips refill and ordering dessert!

I think that is some excellent advice and something I somewhat do almost every time I eat out. Plus, my wife and I have pretty much given up on appetizers.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Have a margarita, for sure ;)
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    and...now I need Mexican for lunch. :)
  • marthathebear
    Options
    12 chips and salsa 180 calories
    1 cup chicken taco salad 232

diet coke or unsweetened tea

what else do you need?
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My advice: Enjoy it. Go back to normal after lunch. You should order what you want, then just don't eat it all. It will still be a lot of calories, but 1 big meal here and there isn't going to hurt anyone's progress.