Tilapia or Fillet...what are my options?

Options
TheRightWeigh
TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
I've got frozen tilapia and salmon fillets in the freezer. I plan to eat one or the other for dinner....

What's the best way to thaw them out and does anybody have any suggestions of what to do with them??

Replies

• TheRightWeigh
    Options
    And that Title was supposed to read Tilapia or SALMON!! LOL
  • BadNamePicker
    BadNamePicker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If they are individually wrapped, I always put them in cold water (changing the water out as necessary) - DON'T use hot water to thaw them, but cold water will do the trick! That's what I plan on doing tonight, myself and I also can't decide between tilapia or salmon :-)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I usually let these things either thaw in the refrigerator or, if I'm in a rush, in a bowl of cold water.

I have to admit that I don't know what to do with tilapia other than breading it and frying it. However, for salmon, I usually bake it skin-side down in the oven with one of the following on top:

-Panko crumbs and lemon zest
    -Soy sauce and garlic powder
    -Panko crumbs, sliced garlic, and little cubes of butter
  • MonicaRoxxs
    MonicaRoxxs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I normally bake Tilapia and season with lemon pepper and eat a side salad with it! Its really good and healthy.
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I had tilapia last night (I thawed in cool water since was last minute idea). I just cooked in frying pan w/ pam cooking spray and sprinkled cayenne pepper/chili pepper/cumin on it and served with tablespoon of salsa. Yummy!
  • TheRightWeigh
    Options
    Thanks...these are some good ideas....
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I put Tilapia in the oven frozen and sprinkle it with spinach and herb seasoning. Takes about 20 minutes and it is done. Quick and easy.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Awesome salmon recipe- had it last night.
    Mix 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar free maple syrup, 1/4 t salt, 1/8 t black pepper and spoon the mix on top. Makes enough for 4 fillets, so you could half it if you're making less. Bake at 450 deg. for around 10 mins (the fillets I used are a little thin, may need longer if they're thicker)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I had some yesterday! I caught a sale recently. (giggle)
    I usually bake them and add Everglades seafood seasoning, olive oil and lemon. Sometimes I just use lemon and olive oil. I'm the only person in my household who loves fish. :frown:
  • bleis71
    bleis71 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thaw in fridge for an hour or so till starts getting soft, then it will take/absorb seasoning better. I went to food.com and found some recipies. Found a good one for Cod fillet if you like that type of fish too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Doing Salmon tonight myself. This is one of my favorites:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/salmon_roasted_with_tomatoes_olives.html

For the Tilapia, I like this:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baked_cod_with_chorizo_white_beans.html

It calls for Cod, but Tilapia works just fine...I do either depending on what I'm feeling like...Tilapia is a bit firmer than the Cod.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Tilapia:
    -a bit of lemon and pepper
    - spread two tablespoons of Parmesan over
    - mix together thawed frozen spinach and laughing cow cheese wedge, make a bed to lay the tilapia in

Salmon:
    -soy sauce, ginger and a sweetener (I use maple syrup now, have used Splenda) make teriyaki sauce
    -just put it under the broiler/ on the grill if you have a high quality fillet
    -dill is a good seasoning for salmon.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Talapia covered with some bushetta and artichokes hearts quatered, top with some panko crumbs and bake....yummy
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I had salmon last night with a cilantro lime pesto on top and a side of lentils. It was awesome.

I usually brown my tilapia in a non-stick skillet with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and top with roasted baby tomatoes.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have steak and chicken but cant decide, you know what I do, eat both.

Why not eat Salmon topped tilapia with seasoned brown rice?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Defrost them in a cold bowl of water. I used to add a little bit of olive oil to the pan and add Mrs.Dash on top with a side of asparagus.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I prefer to thaw in the fridge. Take out in the morning, good to go at night. If you don't plan ahead, which I usually don't, then either fish defrost button in the microwave is good or, as noted already, if it's individually wrapped, thaw in cool, not cold water. Most of the ways mentioned are awesome. In addition, I also like Pan Searing. Check out wegmans.com and look up pan seared in their recipes. YUM! I usually add some extra seasonings and herbs.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I had tillapia Monday. Sprinkled with cajun seasoning, fried in the pan coated with olive oil, four minutes on each side. yum!!
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    Dip tilapia in egg then coat with parmesan cheese. Pan fry in a small amount of oil. Delicious.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Salmon: combine a tbsp. of lite mayo (I use Miracle Whip) with fresh dill, a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and pepper. Spread over salmon fillet and bake in oven for about 10 minutes at 425F. 1 serving.

Tilapia: combine 1/2 tbsp. honey, 1 small jalapeño, 1/4 cup any BBQ sauce - heat in microwavable bowl. Pan fry the salt and pepper seasoned tilapia until cooked through. Enough glaze for 2 servings.

Both of these are delicious and I make them often...great go-to recipes!

Enjoy!