That One Slip Up... Uuuuugghhh!!!

Options
I am so proud of myself for doing such a wonderful job with my diet changes and exercise for the last month and a half. I've been staying under my allotted calories, going to the gym regularly; I even joined a intramural kickball team to get more active. All these great things happening and I feel like crap for the one day that I've reaaaaaaaally slipped up! I did great yesterday (1/8/13) in spite of all of the tempting goodies all around my office. Did great... until I got home. I realized about a year ago that I'm an emotional eater. Heartbreak- eat a quart of Blue Bell; uberly stressful work day- finish off that tray of Oreos; family on my nerves- down a complete bag of Doritos in one sitting... any little thing will trigger the eating. Since I've come to that realization, I've learned to keep those feelings at bay as best as I can by finding alternatives and what not. But yesterday, *sigh*... I got home, my little pooch dog (my dog Molly), pooped in the middle of my bed, my 17 y/o ran her car into the back of someone trying to ditch school, and my brother called me with some nonsense! I was totally spent by 5pm! Needless to say, I had two helpings of Rotel Cheese Hamburger dip. The calories in that dip are beyond ridiculous! I knew that, but I just needed SOMETHING to take the edge off! I feel so horrible for it though! I know it's one day; one slip up, but still... Anyone else ever have this happen?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips up. It is one day and isn't going to hurt your weight loss. Pick yourself back up and continue doing what you were doing. You probably only reached your maintenance calories anyway.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips up. It is one day and isn't going to hurt your weight loss. Pick yourself back up and continue doing what you were doing. You probably only reached your maintenance calories anyway.
    ^This
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Its not even a slip up, its just a day with more calories than usual. Keep doing great, no-one is perfect x
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yes. Frequently. But you recognize it for what it is - a slip up. Today you're back on the ball. Down extra water, fit in an extra workout this week if you can. I think one slip up (not a whole day, mind you but one meal/snack) isn't going to derail you too much. You can do it!
  • valeriejean1407
    Options

^ agreed. One day won't make you gain back the 30 pounds you have lost already. The important part is not letting it totally derail you. Today is a new day.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not only that...but mixing things up a bit from time to time...keeps your metabolism going.

Just because you didn't meet your target...doesn't make it a bad day.

I had a day like that this week too..

Biggest thing is to know it..and dont let it be an excuse to have DAY 2 and 3....
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Agree, everyone slips up! I'm an emotional eater too. When I get depressed or really anxious I crave and gobble up sweets!

A little perspective....Since a pound of fat is 3500 calories and your ticker shows you've lost 29 lbs that's "101,500" calories you have successfully shed. Don't fret that menial amount of calories you over consumed. Consider it a reward for all your hard work and accomplishments. No harm done!

Congratulations on your success!!
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add our bodies do not run a 24 hour clock. If you want to make up for it just subtract those calories over the course of the next few day. No harm no foul. Calorie cycling is a proven tool that many bodybuilders use.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No one got fat in a day. It'll be okay. Just get back on track and move on from there.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No worries dear! It's in the past, so leave it there. Keep it moving! :smile:
  • Suchacatch
    Options
    Girl i have had so many and still managed to loose 45 pounds in 6 months. One day I was tired of eating clean I took my kids to a chinese buffet and when i put in everything I ate in MFP I had eatin over 4,000 calories in one day, did i feel guilty (YESSSS WANTED TO DIE) but I learned to get over it and start fresh the next day bc it didnt do anything to my weight loss. Its totally fine to slip, actually a lot of diets encourage 1 cheat day so if you dont incorporate a cheat day in your diet then look at it as you combined about 2 or 3 in one day... YOU WILL BE FINE!!! GREAT JOB THUS FAR!!!!!
  • Suchacatch
    Options
    very true
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Agree, everyone slips up! I'm an emotional eater too. When I get depressed or really anxious I crave and gobble up sweets!

A little perspective....Since a pound of fat is 3500 calories and your ticker shows you've lost 29 lbs that's "101,500" calories you have successfully shed. Don't fret that menial amount of calories you over consumed. Consider it a reward for all your hard work and accomplishments. No harm done!

Congratulations on your success!!

Love the perspective here...I had one of THOSE days yesterday as well - although I just started with MFP last week the encouragement I receive on a daily basis is wonderful!

Feel free to friend me!
  • choncho007
    choncho007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All of the time. Mine is like that also, but mainly I like to eat at night. I don't know why that is so hard for me, but if I do slip up, it is usually at night. It is horrible :(