B12 Vitamin Question

Options
My doctor suggested I take B-12 because I was experiencing fitigue all the time. I didn't realize until I went to get a refill on my over the counter vitamins that my husband had been buying 2500 mg. I saw in the store they have 1000,2000,2500 how do I know the mg's best for me? I know I could call my doctor but everyone knows how tedious that can be. So I'm reaching out to MFP to get some helpful insight to this issue

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Are you still deficient? You should be able to get enough from food unless you have an absorption issues (guessing not since you only mention one micronutrient).
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000116000000000000000-w.html
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    Vitamin B12 supplements are recommended for everyone over the age of 50. Here's some dosing information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-B12/NS_patient-vitaminb12/DSECTION=dosing

Some time ago, I took megadoses of vitamin B12. I figured there was no harm, since it was water soluble and I thought any excess would simply leave my body unused. A blood test revealed that my blood levels of vitamin B12 were well beyond the normal range. This can trigger a diagnostic workup because a high serum B12 level can be due to liver problems.

My suggestion is to either take the RDA requirement, or to take a higher dosage less often (2 - 3 times a week).
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much I read what you suggested and I think it may be best to give my doctor a call. I would hate to trigger any readings that would call for more testing.
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do have RA and I also have to take iron & folic acid. I dont know if that is what you were speaking about. Thanks for your comment.
  • MadameLAL
    Options
    Thanks so much I read what you suggested and I think it may be best to give my doctor a call. I would hate to trigger any readings that would call for more testing.

Excellent idea to consult your doctor, since the dosage recommendations are different depending if you are deficient or not. I hope you feel better soon!
  • amyghough
    Options
    I went to see my doctor with symptoms I thought were related to hypothyroidism. He did blood work and it showed low B12, low folic acid and low serum iron. My doctor prescribed B12, Folic Acid supplement and Iron Supplement, but he also scheduled an ultrasound and then CT which showed I had a large fibroid tumor. I had surgical intervention and will go back to look at labs. I would get everything checked out if I were you.
  • MadameLAL
    Options
    I went to see my doctor with symptoms I thought were related to hypothyroidism. He did blood work and it showed low B12, low folic acid and low serum iron. My doctor prescribed B12, Folic Acid supplement and Iron Supplement, but he also scheduled an ultrasound and then CT which showed I had a large fibroid tumor. I had surgical intervention and will go back to look at labs. I would get everything checked out if I were you.

Were the vitamin and mineral deficiencies related to the tumor or was it an incidental (and fortuitous) finding?