McDonalds addict done good.

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
I posted this in my blog but thought I'd air it here also.

So guys, most of you probably aren't aware but I had (have) a serious addiction with McDonalds. And I use the word addiction in the full sense, smoking, alcohol, drugs kinda addiction. I would go there without even being hungry, and I would rarely have a regualr meal, it'd be a large meal and a medium meal, or something else.

Now I would like to start by saying that I haven't had a McDonalds since 30th October 2012. Funny remembering the exact date, but serious smokers an alcoholcis remembers their last smoke or drink. And just now I went through my online banking statement and saw what I spent on McD last year, now remember this is from a statement so is CARD TRANSACTION ONLY, which fortunately made up almost all of my McD purchases. So.....ready for it. I really hope I hear from some smokers that say they spend this or more on *kitten* lol.

January £182.25
February £66.88
March £77.03
April £140.06
May £163.06
June £148.43
July £176.71
August £118.95
September £138.04
October £162.81

Total: £1373.62

No words can describe how shocked I am. Thank god I've given up. Almost 3 months clear lol.
Now I started properly logging MFP 1st November, and that was just after giving up McD, I imagine both are responsible for why I suddenly started losing weight in Nov:
ScreenShot2013-01-09at171700.png

Replies

• cwright0604
    cwright0604 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!
  • pyrowill
    Options
    THanks
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hooray! And the weight will keep coming off, too, I feels it xxx
  • freedobandito
    freedobandito Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great work.

Unfortunately I am back to my smoking habit, after being free from it for 3 months last year, and multiple other periods from my life I have fallen back to it. Hopefully your addiction to McDonald's doesn't return, and hopefully I can set another date to quit smoking again and stick with it. Hopefully as we approach spring I can stop as I will have many more options to keep myself busy.

Most places in the United States a pack of major brand of smokes ranges between $5 and $10. Since it is $7 where I am at this habit of ~1 pack a day cost me
    $2,131.5 US in the 10 month time frame you listed.

According to Google in today's exchange of 1 USD = £ 0.77
    £ 1641.26
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Ouch, kinda horrible to think that we are spending something that does absolutely no good for us :(
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What n awesome story! Congrats and good luck to you!
    You are truly an inspiration to many!! :drinker:
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well done and keep it up! I know what it's like to break addictions (nearly 10yrs alcohol and 9 years cigarette free :bigsmile: ) Here's hoping I can conquer my food adiction once and forever :smile:
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot of $$$ going to McD's...good for you for giving it up!!!

I grew up on MCD's and other fast food since my dad was a single parent, so I know exactly how convenient and delicious (our taste buds decieve us to think) it is.

Keep going..and saving that $$!! :)
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great Job "kicking your habit" :drinker:
    I say stash away the exact amount you would have spent each month last year on McDonald's and when June comes around splurge on something nice/fun for yourself (clothes, vacation, etc)
  • hayleycreates
    hayleycreates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic accomplishment. I honestly believe they must put some chemical or something in their food that tells our brain to bypass reason for exactly what you were experiencing. Eating there even when you're not hungry.
    I agree it is an addiction and should be treated as such. Seriously, why else would we do something (myself very much included) over and over again when we know it's not good for us, and it will make us feel like crap.

I have the same feeling about pop/soda. Evil.

Good for you. just think, the money you're saving is equivilant to a really nice holiday each year you could now add in without even having to really cut back!
  • ejgballerina
    ejgballerina Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you!
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Great Job "kicking your habit" :drinker:
    I say stash away the exact amount you would have spent each month last year on McDonald's and when June comes around splurge on something nice/fun for yourself (clothes, vacation, etc)

Exactly what I was thinking!! Go you!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sweet good for you! I like McDonald's but not that much! Keep it going!!!
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We, wife and I, gave up drink purchases when we eat out and have saved enough to purchase her new road bike... just drink water now...
  • pyrowill
    Options
    I'm already putting money aside from cycling instead of driving, and cos McD was so varied I dont think I could put a set money aside that I'm saving. It's just mad, thats a holiday, a new posh racing bike, a crappy car, a sexy lens for my camera. All sorts. :( What a douche.
  • lonnieh2
    lonnieh2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This totally made my day cause I was a McDonalds freak too. I would eat there 2 maybe three times a week. Not as much as you but all the time. This is what i would order every single time...A Big Mac, A Quarter Pounder with cheese, a six piece nugget, a double cheeseburger, a Super sized fries and super sized drink. Every time. And I would eat it all in one sitting. And then eat my other meals too. Crazy amount of calories. I was just being lazy and not wanting to cook and it was too damn convenient.

Now I have sworn it off and my goal is to lose a total of 75 pounds from a high of 272lbs at 6'1. I am at 227 now and working hard and eating right.

Not eating Mickey D's is huge. Will I never eat it again..I can't say but I can say that if I do it will be once in a long while and only if I have worked out and eaten right in the days and months ahead of going.

so I have been there. Stick with it and avoid fast food. That stuff is poison. Thanks for sharing. You have inspired me.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! And good for you for accepting it and dealing with it.
    You are kicking *kitten* and taking names!
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    bump
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Just think all that money you are saving you will need to use to buy new clothes when you reach your goal hun.. great dedication!!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I am curbing my chicken nuggett addiction and now I go one time per month for nuggetts. A lot better than it was.......
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!