Eating Beans on Low Carb Diet/ Subtract Dietary Fiber

Options
:smile: I have to eat low carb because I just found out that I'm pre-diabetic.. had to change my eating habits fast. I always thought that beans were low carb & high in protein. So I made a big pot of pinto beans & when I scanned the bar code for my daily entry the carbs were 90g for just 2 cups.. When counting carbs do we subtract the dietary fiber? These have about 30g of dietary fiber. And should I just stay away from beans altogether?? :smile:

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine, if you just eat them in moderation. Most people subtract fiber out of the carbs, to get the net carb count.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    What kind of low carb diet did your doctor put you on? How many net carbs are you allowed per day?
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stay away from more processed carbs that involve high salt/sugar content - ie: Twinkies (RIP), cookies, potato chips, crackers. I dont think that beans are unhealthy unless over salted - but then again, I am not the one who restricted your diet!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt necessarily stay away from beans. They're a good source of fiber and protein. Most of us on a low carb eating plan do subtract fiber from carbs to get a net carb count.

I'm inclined to ask the same question as martinah4 - did your doc give you an eating plan or are you just on your own doing this?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I definitely subtract my fibre from my carbs. I try and stick around 100 - 150g a day of carbs. Keep in mind the "good carb/bad carb" debate too. If i'm at 200 carbs but i ate fruit today, then I don't worry. If I'm at 200 carbs and I ate nothing but bread and it's only noon, then I worry.