Fruit and Sugar Reduction

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
How can anyone consume under 45 g of sugar a day if you eat 2 servings of fruit, a sandwich for lunch and a _________. (yogurt, etc.) I really want to cut back my sugar, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I eat pretty "clean" as it were. Fruits, LOTS of veggies. Very little processed food. Even my yogurt, I generally get plain greek and mix in a few blackberries and sweeten with a little honey or agave.

Yet, I always seem to well exceed my daily limit as determined by MFP. If the source is generally natural sugar, should I be concerned? I'm not over indulging in fruits - I had gestational diabetes which puts me at risk for type 2 - so I generally stick to fruits low on the glycemic index. I'll have the occasional orange, pineapple or grapes, but usually stick with apples, watermelon, peaches, etc. I don't drink juices, except in the occasional mimosa. I DO eat peanut butter - which has some sugar in it, but I don't eat much in the way of meat, so it's a good protein source for me.

I am still seeing weight loss so I'm not worried about it from that end. Just curious what other people think on the topic and if you manage to stay under 45 g - how do you do it?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I don't stay under the MFP recommendation, but my sugar also comes from natural sources, as does yours. I just don't worry about it. I have no health issues that require me to watch my sugar, and it has not hurt my progress, so I just eat and enjoy my fruit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, it's really not necessary to even track sugar. It sounds like your sugars are comining primarily from whole foods, so I wouldn't worry about it. Look at the bigger picture and manage your macros not your micros (unless you have a medical condition)...you can customize these to be whatever % of your caloric intake that you want it to be.

Great thing about fruits and veg is that, yes, many of those calories come from sugar...but you're also getting fiber. With the fiber, your body processes this sugar differently. I don't know all of the scientific jargon behind it, but I do know that my diabetic dad is supposed to steer clear of processed sugars, but he can eat fruits and veg as long as he doesn't go overboard with it...like no more than 2 servings of fruit for him per day.