Cardio vs Weight lifting

Options
I am trying to lose about 15 pounds, im only 5 foot and I have been told that lifting weights it a better way to go to tone up and lose weight over cardio exercises. What's your opinion?

Replies

• New_Jayme
    Options
    I would say do a little of both...I think that would be more beneficial.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you want to look amazing naked lift weights, also muscle burns fat.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Both. Cardio before lifting. You'll see the results you want.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    wtf this thread is like 5 hours late!

and, What BellaFe said.

Don;t do a bunch of cardio before lifting. You will be safer lifting weights without already being gased. If you want to do cardio, do it after lifting and\or on non lifting days.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    @fullofwin, lol its 2pm here.

thanks, ill check out the link
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First post here, but going to give this one a shot. I'm not a Doc, trainer, or expert, so take this with a grain of salt substitute. Frankly, If considering cardio vs strength, I say do both. Circuit/interval training works great and, reportedly, boost your met for longer periods of time when completed. My preferred method (which may or may not work for you), was to warm up then jump rope for 2-3 minutes to get everything rocking, then hit strength station after station, one set each, lighter weights, reps of 10-15 depending upon the exercise (to or close to failure), no rest between stations. Repeat for a total of three sets. May take a bit of tweaking to find what works, but my goal was to start each set with rope and finish on my last strength exercise (about the time my HR lowered to approx 50/60-ish% of max -was not using a HRM at that time, so only guessing) for a total of three sets (circuits). If at a gym, this might be difficult as you don't want to waste time setting up stations for your abilities and/or monopolizing the equipment. If at home, it works great. It's brutal. I found this very effective, but since my knees have issues, it became unsustainable over time (the jumping rope portion). After a year of pinching pennies, I invested in a used comm Percor elliptical. Still figuring out what works best for me (which, again, may or may not be right for you), but I'm finding that doing intense interval training for 30 min (with 2 min warm up and 5 min cool down) on the Precor is very effective. However, doing strength training before hoping on the Precor (regular strength training, not circuit) appears much more so. The CW appears to be that if you want all the good cardio benefits without the muscle loss of long cardio workouts, then keeping the cardio portion to 30 min or under is a good idea. Again, not an expert, this is just what I've come up with a little research. Also, I think it is key to mix it up. The body adapts to the stresses you put on it, so to keep the body "shocked" for muscle development, you need to vary your workout(s). Again, that's what works for me and it may or may not work for you. However, I'm confident in suggesting that you want to do both cardio and strength training (unless you are just looking to be a long distance runner only).
  • skeefer13
    Options
    For best results do both!! Weight lifting helps build muscle. Muscles are essential in optimal calorie burning. The more muscle you have...the more calories you burn. I have never had a trainer tell me to do my full cardio before weight training. I warm up with cardio to get my muscles nice and warm so they are more receptive and less prone for injury, do my weight training, and then I end with my full cardio. You have to find what works for you and stick with it. But weight training is essential nonetheless.
  • Kay_313
    Kay_313 Posts: 11
    Options
    Both!

When we go to the gym, I do 15m on the elyptical. Than I go to the weight room and do circuit training- arms, legs, abs and repeat. Eachday at the gym my circuit is different. Then I do 5m on the elyptical to cool down then to the pool for about 30 min.

On alternate days, we do Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack and she is all about High Intensity Interval training. This includes cardio and strength training alternating during the workout. This DVD is awesome because it works 90% of your body and is only 30 minutes long.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    @fullofwin, lol its 2pm here.

thanks, ill check out the link

exactly. cardio vs weight lifting threads should be started in the morning by no later than 9am.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Both. Cardio before lifting. You'll see the results you want.

Don't do cardio before lifting you lift first then do cardio.