What to wear to a server interview?

Options
2»

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I don't mind selling too much, as long as it's soft sales, and I think it might be like that at this place and another two I'm looking at. These are smaller, independent restaurants, none of them with more than 6-10 tables. I am thinking the kind of service wanted here is maybe more time- and attention- intensive (am thinking the upselling might be more about booze?) and not so much about volume or turnover (maybe?). The menus look pretty short as well. Not that that would necessarily protect me from forgetting things, I guess!

It seems like the smaller places are better to work at and yes, they usually require soft sells (our big things were desserts and gift cards). I also worked at a chain (Texas Road House) and that is a disaster. The girls were full of drama and pretty b*tchy and they claimed you got better tables depending on your check average. The menu wasn't too bad, but when I introduced myself, I had to try and sell liquor and then an appetizer and then when they ordered, I had to upsell extras like mushrooms and onions on a steak or loaded baked/mashed/sweet potatoes and then I had to try and sell dessert. It was awful, but eventually I had the third highest check average out of 40 people. I had this for 3 months straight, but still kept getting the worst sections (usually 2 3 tops and a 2 top or 2 6 tops where they'd only seat 4 people or a family with 3-4 kids which usually meant awful tips). They definitely play favorites and it was terrible.

Honestly, I never would have left my job at the local restaurant if my boss didn't treat me like crap. The customers were great and I made really good money. The work was hard because I was the server/barista/cashier from 7AM-3PM Wednesday-Sunday and didn't have help. Once I broke my foot at work and the boss refused to fill out an accident report, I had to quit.

There's a good and bad side to every job and if you make the best of it, it won't be bad at all. I'd rather be serving than working a desk job any day and as you said, it is while you finish school for what you really want to do :)
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I worked as a server while going through both undergrad and graduate school. My mom has been a server all my life and so has my aunt. I can tell you that I've never had experience like Deedsie's; it was always fun and a nice job because the stress doesn't follow you home. I made more money waiting tables than I do as a teacher...by a lot, and I never worked at high end restaurants.

As for your questions: I always wore nice shoes, slacks, and a dress shirt (usually colorful) for the interview. I want to say that I always at least pulled my hair back. I think this helps them be able to see you as a server since you have to have it back for work. Bring your own pen...that used to annoy our manager. Be friendly, but also show that you can be serious and dependable.

Be prepared, they may ask you if you're willing to be a hostess first; it's quite common. Good luck!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    These are hugely helpful insights guys, thank you! It's really good to hear about positive experiences.

@Ashlin: You gave me a really good sense of what things were like for you, thank you :) Good to know what to expect around dynamics with coworkers (and money). That stuff happens in offices, too, though maybe in a quieter way :/

@melonclarinet: Very encouraging indeed to hear about money potentially being good. Thanks for the tips on key traits to get across, that's great. Love your idea about putting hair up!

I can hostess, no problem with that :)

For shirts: I've got boring cotton button-ups (pink, grey, white), or else silk blouses and tees (cream, tomato red, peach). The red looks best on me (have dark hair) - too much?
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Why is this not common sense? As somebody who has interviewed HUNDREDS of people it should be understood that any interview should be attended in business attire. I don't care if you're applying to give happy endings in a shady massage parlor.

I can't count the number of people I've declined to hire because of them showing up wearing casual clothing. It's not rocket science...and it doesn't need to be hard. You don't have to show up in a tuxedo looking like james bond. But a nicely pressed shirt, tie, and slacks as well as a good 10 minutes of brushing your teeth, combing your hair, and putting on some deoderant can really go a long way.

Thanks, but I've got the toothbrushing thing down. I have four good-looking suits I could throw on. My cuticles look amazing. My hair's groomed. Here's the issue: I've approached two managers dressed like that, both of whom looked at my resume, which is made up of 100% office work, and asked, "what are you doing here?"

There are definitely differences in work cultures, and they do vary according to industry.

I want managers to look at me, and be able to easily picture me working at their restaurants, instead of seeing an office worker.

Emily, thank you!

Maybe re-work your resume to show the skills needed for the waitress. Im not saying change the jobs or exclude but highlight the skills- customer service in the office world is different than a food chain BUT its not because you are still making sure the customer is satisfied. You still multi tasking at both places. im not sure how you could list those but im sure it might help solve some of the issue you said above :)