Gluten Free?! Help!

Options
Hi everyone! I was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy, and I'm actually kind of happy about it. Because now I have no excuse to eat those dreaded processed carbs that I'm always trying to avoid. I have more of a reason to avoid it now! But it's so hard. I'm struggling with what to cook for myself. I loooooove love love fresh fruits and veggies. I don't eat red meat, but I love chicken and fish :)

If anyone has any suggestions / advice they could give me, I would seriously appreciate it. SERIOUSLY.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    None of the things you listed contain gluten. Eat all the fruits, veggies, meats, rice, potatoes, dairy that fit in your budget. You can buy gluten free breads and pastas but to me they taste like crap and are way too expensive.
  • crfeeney
    Options
    None of the things you listed contain gluten. Eat all the fruits, veggies, meats, rice, potatoes, dairy that fit in your budget. You can buy gluten free breads and pastas but to me they taste like crap and are way too expensive.

I know :) Thank you! I personally hate the gluten free breads and pastas and stuff. They are just not the same, and calorie wise, it's just not worth it to me! Do you have any specific recipes??
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Check everything you use, even things like soy sause has gluten! One of the things that suprised me that had gluten in it was those crockpot creation little bag things you get at the store. Almost all soups have gluten in them mushroom soup made me sick for days!

It really depends on your allergy level but I cant eat rice at all :( It may not be the rice its self but perhaps because wheat is processed on the same machines it makes me ill. I have eaten many items that were "gluten free" but because it was processed on machines wheat is I get sick.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you love chicken, fish and vegetables what is the problem? Rice is naturally gluten free so you can add that to meals, or use rice noodles when you want a pasta dish. Quinoa is also a good gluten free grain option, though it is usually quite a bit more expensive than rice.

If you are just looking for recipe ideas, I'd suggest searching the internet for gluten free recipes, or search the MFP recipe forum. I'm sure there are probably gluten free groups you join as well.