blood flow, nerves & exercise (shoulders, neck & back)

muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all..

I'm looking for some tips on really good exercises to help loosen the above. I carry my stress in these areas which have resulted in "permanent muscle spasms", which then puts a ton of pressure on the nerves and vessels, causing numbness, my entire arm and sometimes neck to "fall asleep" (particularly while sleeping) and these sensations occur even when I stretch my arms out too far upward or outward. Makes it VERY uncomfortable to work out. So I thought it might be more functional to get the muscles loose before I attempt strengthening. I know what *feels* good, but that doesn't necessarily mean what I'm doing is accomplishing what I need it to.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Have you tried gentle yoga?? A studio would be best so you can get the right instruction and make modifications, but I can recommend some great DVDs if a studio is out of the question.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Yoga.
    and do the breathing -dont just do the stretching. USe the breath to help you loosen the muscles that you are working.
    It really works and it is very helpful for us "neck stressers" (as my massage therapist calls me)
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    I do yoga 2-3 times a week at home. I have awful back pain between my shoulder blades, it helps alot! One neck stretch I really enjoy is sit on the floor, clasp your hands behind you bend elbows and put the back of your hand on your hip. Try to squeese your elbows together as much as you can then lean head to the side your hands are on your hip. Sit for 5-10 seconds. Stay in the position then tilt head slightly downward to make eye contact with you knee (sitting cross legged), hold 5-10 seconds. Switch and do other side.

Really hard to describe, but really stretches out those neck muscles and that one off to the side coming up behind the neck :wink:
  • muth3rluvx2
    Well... seems to be a hands down win... yoga it is -

saw an offer to recommend some good dvd's? I have VOD (Uverse) and there's TONS of yoga on there too, so if you all know instructor names, I can look for those particular instructors. :-)

Thank you all SOOOO much!!!! :-))
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    We have VOD with Comcast. My fav when I first started out was Meaghan Townsend. I have Power Yoga by The Firm on DVD, which I do alot. I personally don't care for any yoga made by Gaiam, it was just a little weird to me. Maybe they've come out with ones I may enjoy now... I tried one of their workouts 4 years ago and just never used them again.
  • muth3rluvx2
    Ang,

Thanks! I'll be sure to look for those when I work out tonight! :-)
  • balance9
    Gentle yoga DVDs good for neck/back issues: Restorative yoga with Deborah Donohue and Yoga: Gentle Practice by Zyrka Landwijt. Deborah's DVD has specific sequences for neck/back issues, as well as migraines, etc. Both are excellent, and available on Amazon.com
  • balance9
    Gentle yoga DVDs good for neck/back issues: Restorative yoga with Deborah Donohue and Yoga: Gentle Practice by Zyrka Landwijt. Deborah's DVD has specific sequences for neck/back issues, as well as migraines, etc. Both are excellent, and available on Amazon.com
This discussion has been closed.