Will I ever "learn" to love veggies?

Options
I am NOT a veggie girl. The only ones I like that's actually good for me is green beans and lettuce. Besides beans I really only like potatoes and corn which are loaded in sugar. I have tried making myself eat raw carrots but I would have to eat so much ranch dressing with them that I might as well not eat them. I don't like broccoli, cauliflauer, asparagus, celery, etc....and the smell of cabbage turns my stomach. I know I need to eat them but literally gag at the though. Are any of you guys like me? I hope I'm not the only one who is trying to diet without eating veggies. It is very difficult at times.

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    I'm like that. I really can't stand salads. The idea of eating a salad every day sounds like the worst kind of torture and even on my hungriest days, I still would not want a salad.

Do I love veggies? No.

I like carrots and I can sometimes get myself to put lettace on a subway sandwich.

I take vitemins because I know I'm probably not getting that many from my foods. I watch my calories intake and lose weight. I'm not sure how "healthy" it is. But I have yet to fall in love with veggies. I might crave something every once in a while but its pretty rare. I might have broccoli and cheese for lunch every once in a while but thats about it.

I feel your pain in the difficulty or finding low calories foods that I'll actually eat and finding recipes that I'll actually eat.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I don't like most veggies. I do like corn and potatoes and I'll only eat carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers and celery if they are raw. And peas only raw straight from the garden, lettuce only in cold food (I hate how limp and slimy it gets on a hot burger, for example). That said, I can make a salad out of the lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers and carrots, since they are all raw in that. Anything else, no way!

But don't choke it down. Honestly, it's not worth it. Yes, they are good for you, but if you are doing this by forcing yourself to eat things you hate, you will be much more likely to give up. Plenty of people lose weight and are healthy without eating the recommended servings of veggies.

Some will recommend a good multivitamin. Others will say it's a waste of money because your body doesn't really absorb it. I don't know the answer, but my boss (she's a chiropractor and a runner, extremely healthy!) recommends Juice Plus. Apparently, that uses dried whole fruits and veggies, rather than chemically manufactured vitamins. I don't take that either, although I am thinking of starting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Veggies aren't required for weight loss. But they contain so many valuable nutrients you really should try to eat them. Instead of lettuce for salads wraps or sandwiches, why not try a mix of other greens (kale, spinach, collards, arugula, etc.).

And if you like pasta with red sauce, try adding chopped onion, carrots, celery and greens to the sauce. Puree it when they are softened if you don't want to see/feel them in the sauce. You can do this with other sauces, gravies or soups as well.

Instead of eating vegetables raw or steamed, try roasting them. Letting vegetables carmelize in an oven can have a totally different taste than raw or steamed (a lot better taste IMO).

I absolutely LOVE most veggies so it's hard for me to relate, but I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that I'm not alone here in the dislike of veggies. I am currently not taking a multivitamin but I think I might start doing that.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You will like them one day. A few years ago I lived on potato chips, brownies and junk food. I was 50 lbs heavier, a smoker and never exercised. In fact, I hated sweating. The I quit smoking. The weight started coming on and I was starting to hate myself when I looked in the mirror.

Long story short, I changed my life, joined the gym and now, instead of craving cake and chips, I actually crave broccoli, yogurt, oatmeal....I never thought I'd say that.

Your body adjusts and you learn to love it. Have an open mind and give it time.

Best of luck.
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You will like them one day. A few years ago I lived on potato chips, brownies and junk food. I was 50 lbs heavier, a smoker and never exercised. In fact, I hated sweating. The I quit smoking. The weight started coming on and I was starting to hate myself when I looked in the mirror.

Long story short, I changed my life, joined the gym and now, instead of craving cake and chips, I actually crave broccoli, yogurt, oatmeal....I never thought I'd say that.

Your body adjusts and you learn to love it. Have an open mind and give it time.

Best of luck.

I once heard someone day that you crave what you eat.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When my husband & I got married, I was like you. The only veggies I liked were pretty much beans, corn, and potatoes. My husband, however, loves all veggies. Over the years, I have tried different things cooked different ways and have eventually learned to love most all of them, not just tolerate. Some took me making myself eating them a few times before I developed a taste, and others I loved immediately once I was determined to try them. I think a lot of what I had hated in the past was the idea of the veggies, not the taste...because honestly, I wouldn't try most of them! LOL That said, there are still a few things that I absolutely will not eat.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a veggie girl. The only ones I like that's actually good for me is green beans and lettuce. Besides beans I really only like potatoes and corn which are loaded in sugar. I have tried making myself eat raw carrots but I would have to eat so much ranch dressing with them that I might as well not eat them. I don't like broccoli, cauliflauer, asparagus, celery, etc....and the smell of cabbage turns my stomach. I know I need to eat them but literally gag at the though. Are any of you guys like me? I hope I'm not the only one who is trying to diet without eating veggies. It is very difficult at times.

There are several things that should be addressed.

First, how do you generally eat veggies? Boiled, steamed, roasted, braised, fried?
    Second, are you getting the best version? Fresh, frozen, canned?
    Third whis is it you don't like? Smell, taste, texture, all of the above?

The reason I ask, it because I learned a long time ago that I generally don't say I don't like something...usually I don't like the way it's prepared. And if it's a new prep, I'll try it again. (exceptions being, raisins and grapes...can't stand them in any form except maybe wine).

I would say to check what is seasonal and look for one new thing to try. Look at propper prep (how it will be at it's best), and go from there.

For example; my husband does not like cauliflower. However we were out to dinner and I got a veggie curry (peas, carrots, eggplant, potatoes and cauliflower) Guess what...he not only liked it but tried cauliflower at another place. He'd only had it boiled/steamed and thus didn't like it prepared that way.

I have always thought that I hated brussell sprouts (always frozen never fresh). I saw a episode of Good Eats where Mr. Brown had a proper tutorial on basic cooking of fresh sprouts. They were on sale at WF and I picked so up. Not only did I love them, but my sister, and parents loved them too. And cook on a reg. basis now.

So my suggestion is start small and seek out ways to try something that isn't too scary for you.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try different ways of preparing the veggies that you do like, and incorporate some other veggies too. Since you like lettuce, you could try to add a small amount of grated carrots in a salad and gradually add more as you get used to them. Like you, I don't like eating a big ole raw carrot, but I like them grated in my salad, or added to soups or roasted with some other root veggies. I try eating veggies prepared in different ways. Do you eat other veggies when you go to restaurants? Maybe you could try to recreate dishes that you have eaten out before. You could also try to 'hide' them in your food, like in The Sneaky Chef or Deceptively Delicious cookbooks.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am willing to say that anyone who claims to hate most vegetables probably haven't had them prepared the right way. If my only intro to green beans were the sad gray beans that come from a can, I would hate them.

Find recipes for making vegetables tasty. Roasting is a fantastic way to get great flavor out of loads of different veg. Toss veg in olive oil, season w/salt and pepper and roast at 425 until brown and tender. I do this to broccoli, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc. You can also steam whatever veg and add a little cheese...even kids usually eat their veg when done that way.