Anyone running their 1st marathon in 2013?

Options
Pretty comfortable at 1/2 marathon distance overall. Starting a 16 week marathon training schedule beginning of Feb. Feeling a bit intimedated by the 42.2km. Who is tackling their 1st marathon in 2013??

Replies

• marmalade2000
    Options
    I am!! In the BMO Vancouver Marathon in May.
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    I ran my first marathon Oct. 2012. Its amazing what our bodies can do. I used the training schedule from the website MarathonRookie.com. I also used the Galloway Run/Walk method, I love the run/walk method and use it all the time. Using the Galloway I PR on a 5k and a 5miler. Which marathon are you running?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet. My original goal was to do 3-4 1/2's this year and a full in 2014 but I'm really considering a full in October. Won't decide until late spring. :/
  • DallasEl
    Options
    I ran my first marathon Oct. 2012. Its amazing what our bodies can do. I used the training schedule from the website MarathonRookie.com. I also used the Galloway Run/Walk method, I love the run/walk method and use it all the time. Using the Galloway I PR on a 5k and a 5miler. Which marathon are you running?

Doing the Saskatchewan Marathon in Saskatoon. Really looking forward to it, maybe a little scared too! haha

I have heard the Galloway mentioned before. I'll have to check into it. Thanks!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Planning on running my first marathon Oct 20th 2013. Going to do a 1/2 in april and a 20k in june also. The summer training is going to SUCK!!!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am!! I ran my first half in 2011, 3 more in 2012, and am signed up for 4 half in a span of 7 weeks this spring! eek! 3 of them are part of a 39.3 series where I live, then a 4th a few weeks later. Then I'm going to make Chicago my first marathon on October 13, 2013! Can't wait! My training program will start on 5/27. I'm with the previous poster that said ick, summer training! I am guilty of slacking on training July - September because of the heat, this will force me to not stop running! I'm nervous about the full, but I purposefully ran my 3rd of 3 halfs in 2012 at a slower pace (super hilly course) and had plenty of gas in the tank at the end and it was the first time I thought "ok, I can see training beyond 13". My husband has been wanting to do a full for a year, but he waited until I said i was ready and we're doing it together (although we won't run it together, he's faster!). Two of us training, both working full-time, and two kids at home. It's going to be a busy year!!
  • bidwhist
    bidwhist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Did my first half in Savannah in 2012. In 2013 going to make Savannah my first full also.
  • DallasEl
    Options
    Good luck on your running events this year to the folks in here!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to the BCS Marathon held in December in Bryan-College Station, Texas.
    One of the best organized races ever!
  • emilynw10
    Options
    I was going to! I decided to wait until 2014 though :) I'm doing a 1/2 in April and a 18km trail thing in September. It's crazy, but I get more excited about improving my running times than I do about weight loss!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    If you have a good base, you'll do just fine. 16 weeks is the perfect amount of time to build yourself up to marathon readiness. The more you enjoy your training, the more you'll enjoy race day. Good training, good racing, have lots of fun!
  • mbaileyblock
    Options
    I am! I did my first half in November (North Face Endurance) and working on another in April (Rock the Parkway). I wanted to do 2 half's before I attempted the full Marathon. My goal is to do the Full North Face Marathon in November!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would like to run a marathon this year if I can stick to my run conditioning.... I have been working out, running and eating healthy and havent really lost any weight, so I dont know its going to work out for me....