What's so wrong about a thigh gap?

Options
Okay, don't throw things at me, but it seems like anytime anyone posts anything about wanting or having a thigh gap, it's received negatively? Why?

I suppose I should add that on my journey (I am purposely stalled out right now, due to pregnancy just being healthy and still logging and such just not as heavy handed) I lost 106lbs with good eating and Jillian Micheal's, walking, swimming and hiking and ended up with an awesome thigh gap...never had one before, so I think it's kind of cool that my thighs don't touch...what am I missing here? I don't lift heavy... YET, so maybe it's the inner thigh muscles that I haven't built up yet...

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't throw things at me, but it seems like anytime anyone posts anything about wanting or having a thigh gap, it's received negatively? Why?

I suppose I should add that on my journey (I am purposely stalled out right now, due to pregnancy just being healthy and still logging and such just not as heavy handed) I lost 106lbs with good eating and Jillian Micheal's, walking, swimming and hiking and ended up with an awesome thigh gap...never had one before, so I think it's kind of cool that my thighs don't touch...what am I missing here? I don't lift heavy... YET, so maybe it's the inner thigh muscles that I haven't built up yet...

It isn't that the thigh gap is BAD...it is that many people don't understand why it is all that. Why are some women willing to do just about ANYTHING, including getting anorexic skinny, to GET a thigh gap? Some women just are not orthopedically capable of getting a thigh gap...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's a huge thing in the pro-ana community. Things that are big with that crowd tend to be received with suspicion here.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    hmm. maybe I'm reading different threads. I see most stating they want a gap.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It's the not the actual thigh gap but the people. The people associated with wanting them so badly are usually willing to go to unhealthy lengths to achieve one, which may not even be possible given their bone structure.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    AH HA! I think I get it..so my well earned thigh gap is suspicious because they may not realize how top heavy I started out...That makes sense to me...I just always found that curious...I still have work to do, but the fact that I can stand shoulder width apart and nothing touches, is kind of cool considering that I started out at 292...
  • pastryari
    Options
    AH HA! I think I get it..so my well earned thigh gap is suspicious because they may not realize how top heavy I started out...That makes sense to me...I just always found that curious...I still have work to do, but the fact that I can stand shoulder width apart and nothing touches, is kind of cool considering that I started out at 292...

That's not a thigh gap. A thigh gap is when both feet are touching next to each other.

Ex from google:
    GTXxw.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

But you obviously have wide enough hips to make this possible.

Some people, me included, do not.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's a huge thing in the pro-ana community. Things that are big with that crowd tend to be received with suspicion here.

Yes. This.

Thigh gap isn't a measure of health or fitness, and shouldn't be considered a weight loss "goal." It's not attainable for all body types and many people would say it's a characteristic of anorexic bodies. It's one thing to want smaller thighs but lots of people who post here about "thigh gap" are already skinny and seem to be wanting to emulate the underfed model look. They sort of make us question if they're going to starve themselves as soon as someone reinforces their thigh gap obsession & gives them the green light.

Out of all the fitness goals possible, why pick sunken-in inner thighs?
    It's not like one's going to be standing around with their feet together or hopping down the street like that...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    That pic HAS to be shopped. Look at the calves!! In proportion, that's not really possible, is it?
  • pastryari
    Options
    That pic HAS to be shopped. Look at the calves!! In proportion, that's not really possible, is it?

I think it prob is. Look around the room. Everything is the exact same as the first pic.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

It isn't that the thigh gap is BAD...it is that many people don't understand why it is all that. Why are some women willing to do just about ANYTHING, including getting anorexic skinny, to GET a thigh gap? Some women just are not orthopedically capable of getting a thigh gap...

^^^This. It's not a realistic goal for some of us. And to me - it's not right to focus in on such a singular goal. When I look in the mirror I'm zeroing in on my overall appearance and muscle tone, what do I need to do to tweak my workouts. I'm not worried about if there's a gap between my thighs.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I think it prob is. Look around the room. Everything is the exact same as the first pic.

That was the first thing I thought. Good grief woman work on your calves, how does she walk? :noway:
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I want a thigh gap.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x
  • SONIA820
    Options

Yes. This.

Thigh gap isn't a measure of health or fitness, and shouldn't be considered a weight loss "goal." It's not attainable for all body types and many people would say it's a characteristic of anorexic bodies. It's one thing to want smaller thighs but lots of people who post here about "thigh gap" are already skinny and seem to be wanting to emulate the underfed model look. They sort of make us question if they're going to starve themselves as soon as someone reinforces their thigh gap obsession & gives them the green light.

Out of all the fitness goals possible, why pick sunken-in inner thighs?
    It's not like one's going to be standing around with their feet together or hopping down the street like that...

OH man, I have had so many goals since beginning this little trip! First one was just to lose weight, then whew 20 lbs, 40...speed, endurance...can I run? I can run... :) Well I started to run! Getting pregnant was a byproduct of the weight loss! HAHA I can't wait to keep going, I started seeing muscles that I didn't even know I had! :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    yeah, ppl who b*tch about thigh gap probably want one and are jealous. nothing wrong with it! x

Silly goose.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a thigh gap. It is, however, unrealistic and unattainable for some people. It's just body type... I know plenty of people that are stick thin and still don't have it. They won't achieve a thigh gap unless they undergo some pretty unhealthy lifestyle choices.

For example, I'm a bit more chesty than the average woman my size. Sure... I could starve myself and the girls would eventually disappear... but it isn't healthy. So: I accept my bustiness and deal.

Moral of the story: There are more important things than a thigh gap.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really answer your question but my biggest problem with thigh gap threads is that they normally turn into body shaming threads IMO.

Nothing wrong with a thigh gap if you have the bone structure. I happen to have wide hips so I have one. I'll trade someone for some boobs.

Now if you are not genetically inclined, why worry about it? It's silly. Why not focus on being strong, healthy, etc?

I don't mean you OP, I mean in general.
  • SONIA820
    Options

But you obviously have wide enough hips to make this possible.

Some people, me included, do not.

Apparently! LOL! It has been quite a shock to see what was hiding all along! :) Still a ways to go!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Seeing a thigh gap on a woman would send my grandmother into orbit!!! She thought it was the most vulgar display imaginable.

protruding clavicles? Bring it on.. A stomach that does not have a top or a bottom? sign me up... but thigh gap? I'll pass... If I naturally had one, It wouldn't bother me.. but It's certainly not a hallmark of something I'm striving for.