Losing too fast?

Options
So, I'm following MFP and my calories to the letter. I eat AT LEAST half of my exercise calories back. (When I go do the elliptical I eat pretty much all of them, but on days when I do racquetball and get back around 600 I only get about 300 of them back.) I work out 5 days a week. I feel great. I take a multi-vitamin and drink a lot of oolong tea.

I'm losing about 4 pounds a week.

I'm getting a lot of comments that this is too much and that I must be starving myself. But I'm really not. I'm following MFP best I can. I'm even seeing a HUGE improvement in muscle mass and I usually go over on my protein!

I'm not endeavoring to lose that much, it just seems like I can't really stop it.

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something terribly wrong. Is this weight loss okay? I started off with about 50 pounds that I needed to lose.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you're losing too fast. As you get closer to your goal weight, you will lose less per week. If you are eating and exercising correctly, good for you on your weight loss goals!!
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    I had about 50 pounds to loose, and in the first few weeks in came off really fast, too, then it slowed to a more manageable 2 lbs/ week and now I am at about 1 lbs/week. It sounds like you are doing everything right, and eating enough food. I say you are ok fo rnow, but if you feel like you are still loosing too fast in a few weeks, you should maybe consider consulting a doctor or fitness/ wellness professional to help tailor a program for you.
    Good luck!
  • sechmanojo
    sechmanojo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it is working well and you are working hard and staying commited! Good for you! I do not think it is too much...I mean if you are burning enough calories to lose 4 lbs a week then that is what is happening and it is working! I heard someone ask Jillian that same type of question on the internet and she said it is all in the math. If you are working out that much and eating 1200 calories then you are doing well. It might eventually slow down a little if you slow down...but if you keep it up you will be to your goal weight in NO TIME! I really wish I had the will power to eat only 1200 calories a day....I am taking it slow with 1 to 1.5 lbs lost a week eating 1800 calories! It is working though and I am proud of myself! Reading your post though makes me feel inspired to maybe leave out a snack or two!
    Best of Luck!
  • mhughes_52
    Options
    The best advice that I have gotten with trying to get healthy, is listen to your body. If you feel great and are not feeling run down, then continue to do what your doing. I think people get too wraped up in what others have to say about what is enough to lose and not enough to lose, or what you should be doing and what you should not be doing. Your body will tell you. Good luck!!
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I personally don't think that's too much at all. So long as you know you are following a healthy diet plan and are getting everything you need, I say that's fantastic. I, too, lost most of my weight very rapidly. Everyone assumes you're doing something very wrong because not many people can lose that fast, but the truth is, there are some exceptions to the rule. All of our bodies are different, and respond differently to similar efforts. I know it can actually feel like an insult when others make comments about how fast you lose, but try not to let it bother you. If you feel you are approaching weight loss in a healthy manner, then keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the results!
  • Sarah219
    Sarah219 Posts: 46
    Options
    I am the same , when i entered my details on my profile when i joined MFP i put that i wanted to lose 1.5lb a week , and i would be exercising 3 times a week for an hour !! i do alot more than that , i put that just in case there are times when i cant get to the gym etc ....... I eat my calories too everyday ...sometimes going over ...i must admit- i do try to not eat my exercise ones , they are there for my back up if you like !!! the last 2 weeks I have lost 8 lb !! i know it is the exercise doing this and not the fact i am starving myself ...i think i eat quite alot actually ...anyway just thought i would let you knwo you are not alone xxxxxxx:smile:
  • Yvette1127
    Yvette1127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you're losing too fast either. Very good point that was brought up is the fact that aAs you get closer to your goal weight, you will lose less per week. If you are eating and exercising correctly.
    CONGRATS!!!! on your weight loss!!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I agree, you seem really in tune with your body, so if you feel good, then keep it up! Good for you! =)
  • Sarah219
    Sarah219 Posts: 46
    Options
    also i would like to add that i have quite abit of weight to shift .... i think the heavier you are the quicker it is at first then it does slow down ..i started out at 219 lb (15 st 9) and am now 196 lb (14 stone)
  • Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First of all thanks for spelling it "losing" and not "loosing".. it's been quite some time that I've seen it spelled right!! Second, I think losing 4lbs a week is ok but I see from your profile you used to be, how did you put it, "kind of anorexic"? Please make sure you don't fall into that trap again. That could also be the reason people around you are saying it's unhealthy, because of your past.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    First of all thanks for spelling it "losing" and not "loosing".. it's been quite some time that I've seen it spelled right!!

Wow- thanks for reminding me- I sure hope I've been spelling "losing" correctly!

As for the 4 pounds a week.. I am jealous! :)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    First of all thanks for spelling it "losing" and not "loosing".. it's been quite some time that I've seen it spelled right!! Second, I think losing 4lbs a week is ok but I see from your profile you used to be, how did you put it, "kind of anorexic"? Please make sure you don't fall into that trap again. That could also be the reason people around you are saying it's unhealthy, because of your past.

Hahaha! No problem. Minor spelling problems like that (and "your" vs. "you're" bother me - I was a journalism major and a grammar nut).

I'm definitely not falling back into my old pattern. Back in high school I ate one meal a day and took ephedra. It was pretty bad.

When I first started MFP I kept coming in under my calorie goal and it told me I wasn't eating enough. I hit a brick wall pretty quickly with my weight. But since then I've been eating way more. I have a solid three meals a day and usually a mid-morning and afternoon (pre-workout) snack. Usually yogurt, low fat cheese, fruits, veggies, etc. And I'm cooking very nutritious FILLING meals for dinner.

I definitely feel like I am eating more now than I was before I started dieting - just a different kind of food.

That combined with my past diet experience is why I was kind of concerned with the idea that I was STILL starving myself.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and support!