Diet soda linked to risk of depression

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    There was another 2studies done on diet drinks, these as well were observational using food questionnaires like the one above.

The 1st study showed that people that were obese, drank more than 3 times as much diet pop than people with normal weight, linking diet pop to weight gain.

In the other study, same parameters they found that obese people that lost more than 15% of their body weight in the last year drank 4 times as much diet pop as people of normal BMI.

In an interview 1 Dr. was asked what he made of these findings and was quoted saying" We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'd be depressed if I had to give it up, tbh.

ditto that! I only drink 1 can but I *need* my can of diet dew.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Sheesh..I guess that's why I'm depressed..need to stop seeing my shrink and just stop drinking my diet sodas.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    :grumble:
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can Google and find something negative or positive about almost everything. I like coffee and I know I would be depressed if i gave it up ;)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Living has been linked to depression too.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you're speculating about diet soda affecting mood, then it's going to be hormonal since hormones have a direct affect on it. So please post a peer reviewed clinical study on aspartame directly affecting serotonin, dopamine, testosterone and estrogen for starters. If you can't then you're speculating.
    Allergies are a different ballpark. Someone who is allergic to something wouldn't keep ingesting it so they can be in a bad health state.:laugh:

This is what the entire post and article is about. Large study etc etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    If you're speculating about diet soda affecting mood, then it's going to be hormonal since hormones have a direct affect on it. So please post a peer reviewed clinical study on aspartame directly affecting serotonin, dopamine, testosterone and estrogen for starters. If you can't then you're speculating.
    Allergies are a different ballpark. Someone who is allergic to something wouldn't keep ingesting it so they can be in a bad health state.:laugh:

Well, they are using the gold standard for studies..... observational epidemiology, doesn't get any better than that. :explode:
  • Esmeralda007
    Options
    It's pure chemicals.. -_- Everyone should just go with natural sweeteners! :) XO
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Thank you, that was my point. It *is* a peer reviewed study.

I also never said that aspartame causes depression, neither does the article - it points out a link between diet soda and a higher risk of depression. I'm not speculating, I simply posted an article and said it was interesting, I didn't even say whether I agreed with it or not. All I know is what I put in my body can have an effect on how I feel. My point about allergies was that what you eat can effect your mood. Sheesh.
  • millyvanilli321
    Options
    When I'm in a depressive slump, I'm lethargic and mopey, sometimes with nasty headaches, so I'm more likely to drink more diet soda for the caffeine pick me up. So in my case, it's not that diet drinks cause depression, but depression causes me to turn to more soda.

I'm also more likely go shopping when I'm depressed.
    Lol, there's some suggestion that aspartame does increase dopamine transmission to the brain making people more alert.

IDEA Fitness member

You got a certified peer review study for that assertion?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options

And it concluded that aspartame directly affected the hormones stated above? Nope.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's pure chemicals.. -_- Everyone should just go with natural sweeteners! :) XO
    Hate to tell that all food and drinks are pure chemicals.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When I'm in a depressive slump, I'm lethargic and mopey, sometimes with nasty headaches, so I'm more likely to drink more diet soda for the caffeine pick me up. So in my case, it's not that diet drinks cause depression, but depression causes me to turn to more soda.

Lol, there's some suggestion that aspartame does increase dopamine transmission to the brain making people more alert.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep.

http://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/liu10/files/2010/09/Direct-and-Indirect-Cellular-Effects-of-Aspartame-On-The-Brain.pdf

IDEA Fitness member
  • millyvanilli321
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yep.

http://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/liu10/files/2010/09/Direct-and-Indirect-Cellular-Effects-of-Aspartame-On-The-Brain.pdf

IDEA Fitness member

"The aim of this study was to discuss the direct and indirect cellular effects of aspartame on the brain, and we propose that excessive aspartame ingestion might be involved in the pathogenesis of certain mental disorders (DSM-IV-TR 2000) and also in compromised learning and emotional functioning."

The study you posted supports the conclusion of the study I posted.

"Compromised dopamine production will result because phenylalanine will bind more frequently and freely than tyrosine owing to its higher concentration, and thus lead to lower concentrations of dopamine in the brain. After administration of aspartame to humans, the increases in blood levels of both phenylalanine and tyrosine have been well documented (Fernstorm, 1988; Filer and Stegink, 1988). Therefore, phenylalanine (formed by breakdown of aspartame) will increase in the brain owing to the ingestion of aspartame, and tyrosine will increase as a breakdown byproduct of phenylalanine in the liver (Fernstorm, 1988; Filer and Stegink, 1988). Thus, aspartame and its components could potentially disrupt a wide range of processes in the
    body, including amino acid metabolism, protein structure and metabolism, nucleic acid integrity, neuronal function and endocrine balances."

phenylalanine is the main constituent of aspartame.

You should really read the studies you post before posting them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    "The aim of this study was to discuss the direct and indirect cellular effects of aspartame on the brain, and we propose that excessive aspartame ingestion might be involved in the pathogenesis of certain mental disorders (DSM-IV-TR 2000) and also in compromised learning and emotional functioning."
    This was the AIM of the study.
    The study you posted supports the conclusion of the study I posted.

"Compromised dopamine production will result because phenylalanine will bind more frequently and freely than tyrosine owing to its higher concentration, and thus lead to lower concentrations of dopamine in the brain. After administration of aspartame to humans, the increases in blood levels of both phenylalanine and tyrosine have been well documented (Fernstorm, 1988; Filer and Stegink, 1988). Therefore, phenylalanine (formed by breakdown of aspartame) will increase in the brain owing to the ingestion of aspartame, and tyrosine will increase as a breakdown byproduct of phenylalanine in the liver (Fernstorm, 1988; Filer and Stegink, 1988). Thus, aspartame and its components could potentially disrupt a wide range of processes in the
    body, including amino acid metabolism, protein structure and metabolism, nucleic acid integrity, neuronal function and endocrine balances."

phenylalanine is the main constituent of aspartame.

You should really read the studies you post before posting them.
    Where in the study does it mention that the breakdown of aspartame is linked to depression? The "conclusion" from the thread you posted spoke of diet soda and depression being linked. Not to mention that the study spoke of no conclusion and that other studies need to be conducted (even after studying it for 10 years). I read it just fine.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member