Is exercise really the key?

Options
2»

Replies

• muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    something else to consider - excercise helps balance hormones, loosen tendons and increase blood flow - ALL of which could possibly be contributing to or acting as triggers for your migraines.

1) high androgen hormones can have all kinds of rotten effects on some: acne, migraines, hair loss and weight gain.
    2) tension headaches can trigger a migraine and tension can come from your daily stress - which we all have or just from not keeping your body somewhat fluid
    3) same tension can pinch nerves and constrict blood flow causing numbness, weakness and pain in your limbs. Additionally, it can constrict flow to your brain (not to the point of damage) and this can lead to headaches as well.

I get migraines periodically as well - just recently, during my visit with TOM. I had no idea that - for me - there was a corrolation; until I started living healthier. I knew such existed, just had no idea it applied to me. I've also stopped my BCP's for a while to see what happens. I found out they were high androgen and I have a high androgen system as it is, as it turns out.

I do wayyyyy too much research. LOL webmd is a wonderful tool. :bigsmile:

I guess the short answer is no. exercise isn't "key" to losing - but it's key to health.
  • thinn10
    thinn10 Posts: 5
    Options
    FLORIDA??? I am in cold Ohio :sad: We are heading down on spring break to orlando for a week...yes, going to Disney for only 1 day ($$$$ stops more)....Will be glad to get down there! Anyway, do you have a dog? My husband has our dog in a habit of taking a walk every day. I took her out today for 15 minutes. I know you said you have headaches, but maybe on good days? I am sorry to hear that. My older sister gets them and they are pretty devastating :sick:

We received a free 30 day trial to a local little gym we signed up and are going our first day tomorrow....yey....

Glad you sent a message...I know I can use all the help and support I can get. I have only been on here about 1 1/2 weeks. I would like to lose 50 lbs. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    muth3r,

If she can exercise. You and I posted at the same time. :wink: I could not exercise because if I began to get warm, I would get a migraine. I wanted to exercise, but I couldn't.

Now my migraines are treated not only prophylactically, but I have drugs to stop the migraine once it starts. BUT - when I do exercise, the side of my face where I get my migraines (left side) - turns bright red - but the right side of my face remains it's normal color. There is a line right down the center of my face. It's freaky weird - which convinces doctors even more that it is vascular. As you said, blood flow to the brain is the physiological cause of migraines. But it is the dilation and contraction of the smallest blood vessels involved in migraines , and until the vessels shrink again, the pain remains. The body is weird. 'Splain that one to me........

I have never been officially diagnosed with migraines...so I always call them "one of MY headaches" around friends and family that know what I mean. It is completely different than the stress or migraine headaches that I get also, to where I can't move without teeth jarring pain, have to put a cold rag over my face and lie in a dark room, and even then it feels as though my skull may split open and the whole bed feels like it's going to fall out from under me. Sometimes it is accompanied by nausea or vomiting. I didn't realize how serious migraines could be though, so I'm very glad some more experienced have posted on this topic. I think maybe I should get them checked out. I was wanting to share with the OP that exercise did decrease the frequency and duration of these headaches and that since my headaches usually hit in the afternoon to evening hours, if I got my exercise in early in the morning it was done and over with before one would strike. I absolutely agree that you would be completely unable to exercise during a migraine, and it's possible that exercise could trigger a migraine, but luckily it's helping mine so far. And if heat is a trigger, I started out with moderate step or low-impact aerobics and an oscillating fan to ease into exercise, so maybe that would help to get started with SOME sort of exercise?
  • kaikowa327
    Options
    For me exercise is the key bc without it you're just dropping pounds, you're not toning or strengthening your body. Speaking from experience, I dieting once without exercising not 1 day and dropped 20lbs in 2 months. After I stopped dieting, ALL the weight came back. A few years later I dieted again but accompanied it with a steady exercise routine. Again I lost an average of 8-10 lbs a month but my body was more toned which means it looked like I lost even more weight. And on top of that, after I stopped dieting & exercising for a while (6 months) and ate all the bad stuff, I did not gain any of the weight back bc the muscle & metabolism I gained through exercise helped sustain my weight.

So in short, if you want lasting results, exercise is the key!:happy:

211003.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods