BMR calculator differences

Options
Any idea why there is such a difference in BMR calculators and which one is the most accurate?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There are different formula's ie: HarrisBenedict, Mifflin, Katch-McArdle etc. They'll all give you different numbers but they should be reasonably close to each other. Human nature usually leads us to pick the one that gives the highest number!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you have a higher or lower than average BF%, the Katch-Mcardle is more accurate. If you are around average BF, then there isn't a big difference for most people. The KM is definitely more accurate for me, however it doesn't take into consideration my age, which can lower your BMR on other calculators. If they would create one that took age, height, weight and BF% all into consideration, it would be great!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you have a higher or lower than average BF%, the Katch-Mcardle is more accurate. If you are around average BF, then there isn't a big difference for most people. The KM is definitely more accurate for me, however it doesn't take into consideration my age, which can lower your BMR on other calculators. If they would create one that took age, height, weight and BF% all into consideration, it would be great!

Scooby's Workshop has an accurate Calorie Calc that takes in all of those and I think even gives you the option to switch between BMR methods too

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/