How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I'm new to this game and thought I'd weigh myself once a week.

The first week's weigh in was good, a 6lb loss. I'm eager to weigh myself again now, 3 days after the last weigh-in but I'm wondering if I should wait for the week. What do you folk do?

Replies

• Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I recommend not more than once a week. It gets way too easy to become scale obsessed and let that little mechanical devil rule your life. Also, take your measurements. Sometimes you will lose inches and not pounds.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i step on it everyday cause it's there. every 4 days seems about the most accurate. always good to measure bodyfat too
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    weighing is very much a personal choice, you will find loads of threads about it.

Some do monthly some daily, some weekly, some whenever they go by the scale

I weigh daily, just to check, but only record weekly on the same day

The only thing with daily weighing is it can vary up or down depending on water, salt, beer etc you had day or two before, but no reason not to do it if you will not get in a tizzy if no change, or gone up a pound or so
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning every Monday. That's my 'official' weight for the week. I'll weigh other times during the week if I'm curious, but only Monday morning counts. My weight will fluctuate 5-6 lbs. throughout any given day.
  • Elleacive
    Options
    Everyday... and I log it. Keeps me motivated.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Friday morning is my official weigh-in, but I'll weigh myself daily to satisfy curiosity.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Once a week, it gives me a better sense of accomplishement of my week. If I do it more than that it doesn't feel like i am making great gains.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I recommend not more than once a week. It gets way too easy to become scale obsessed and let that little mechanical devil rule your life. Also, take your measurements. Sometimes you will lose inches and not pounds.

^^^THIS^^^
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning, keeps me in check! :-)
    Check my body fat about every few weeks to make sure it's also in check :-)
  • slimbyten
    slimbyten Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to weigh in weekly during weight loss and daily during maintenance.
  • DaveAsh8
    DaveAsh8 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i like to weigh in once a week at the same time of day. as you get to see a bigger difference than if you weighed yourself every day.
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Weigh every morning but log it on a Friday. If my weight has gone up in a day I'm then really good that day :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning but I wouldn't recommend it. It is very easy to think the number means everything. Overall trends are what matters not daily fluctuations. Try to stick to once a week if you can.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think when you start out once a week is good. I've been here 2 years now and haven't weighed myself in 4 months, but my clothes fit, so I know I am not gaining, so I don't care!
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I have 70 lbs to lose and I am going to weigh myself one a month. I more go by how I feel, how my clothes and body feels. I feel like l have gotten too frustrated with numbers in the past and quit. I can't quit this time.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It depends on your mindset. I weigh everyday, but I'm used to seeing the ups and downs and know what to expect. I don't get upset when I gain a couple of pounds over the weekend. But if you get discouraged easily, I would recommend no more than once a week. Also, I trust waist, hip, and neck measurements over weight.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    every day, but I use a fitbit Aria and I focus on patterns and trends.

The number on the scale is a good tool, but don't let it be your only one.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Everyday. People say that its bad to weigh everyday, but it keeps me on track!
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday at the same time, first thing in the morning, just to maintain focus. I have found that weighing in every week allows me to say to myself "Oh it must just be a bad day..It will be better next week.." and somehow I have used it as an excuse.. I like being accountable every day, always knowing that it will change day to day so long as there is not a continuous climb in the upwards direction.
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, and post it on a calendar at work and on the fridge at home.. it keeps me motivated.