Diet fizzy pop

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    I posted this in another thread but I think it's appropriate here.
    There was another 2studies done on diet drinks, these as well were observational using food questionnaires like the one above.

The 1st study showed that people that were obese, drank more than 3 times as much diet pop than people with normal weight, linking diet pop to weight gain.

In the other study, same parameters they found that obese people that lost more than 15% of their body weight in the last year drank 4 times as much diet pop as people of normal BMI.

In an interview 1 Dr. was asked what he made of these findings and was quoted saying" We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    alarmists will say dont drink it.

I say...meh
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I'm probably not going to make any friends from this post, so no offense everyone:

This thread is a bunch of alarmism.

Using epidemiological studies to show that people on diet soda got fatter, and therefore diet soda makes you fat, is pretty far-reaching if you ask me.
    Steer clear of all artificial sweeteners, diet or no diet if you ask me. They slow your metabolism down. Especially avoid aspartame. Avoid diet sodas, chewing gum and some low fat yogurts they are full of these vile sweeteners. When your body tries to break down aspartame it metabolizes into methanol which then converts into formaldehyde. Basically its poison

Your body produces formaldehyde and it is NOT a poison in doses typically seen in humans and it's certainly not toxic from people who drink a few diet sodas.. Formaldehyde metabolizes into formic acid and formic acid is excreted without causing harm.

You know who should steer clear of aspartame? People with phenylketonuria because they can't metabolize phenylalanine, which is one of the amino acids in aspartame.

Beyond that I don't see reason to fear it.

Your body doesn't know how to cope with all those fake sweet chemicals,

Also incorrect. Aspartame is metabolized into phenylalanine and aspartic acid and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids found in regular food items (check out the contents in chicken and bananas for example) and methanol converts into formaldehyde in the liver via dehydrogenase.

Edit:
    Effects of Methanol: About 10 percent by weight of aspartame is released as methanol. In the body, methanol converts into formaldehyde and formate. Because formate can cause blindness and metabolic acidosis [Tephly and McMartin, 1984], methanol is toxic when humans consume it in large quantities. In order for the body to accumulate a significant amount of formate, a human must consume 200 to 500 mg of methanol per kg of body weight [Food and Drug Administration, 1984], an amount that corresponds to drinking 600 to 1700 cans of diet soft drink at once

http://elvis.engr.wisc.edu/uer/uer98/author2/content.html

^ And this would be a good example of dose/context-- good post. This is why you can't take research using ridiculous doses delivered via injection and extrapolate that to say "better not drink that can of soda".
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Thought this said, "diet fizzy poop". Was gonna refer you to this guy I know...kind of an expert. Now, I got nuthin'.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    I'm probably not going to make any friends from this post, so no offense everyone:

Using epidemiological studies to show that people on diet soda got fatter, and therefore diet soda makes you fat, is pretty far-reaching if you ask me.
    Steer clear of all artificial sweeteners, diet or no diet if you ask me. They slow your metabolism down. Especially avoid aspartame. Avoid diet sodas, chewing gum and some low fat yogurts they are full of these vile sweeteners. When your body tries to break down aspartame it metabolizes into methanol which then converts into formaldehyde. Basically its poison

Your body produces formaldehyde and it is NOT a poison. Formaldehyde metabolizes into formic acid and formic acid is excreted without causing harm.

You know who should steer clear of aspartame? People with phenylketonuria because they can't metabolize phenylalanine, which is one of the amino acids in aspartame.

Also incorrect. Aspartame is metabolized into phenylalanine and aspartic acid and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids found in regular food items (check out the contents in chicken and bananas for example) and methanol converts into formaldehyde in the liver via dehydrogenase.

*swoon*
    science
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    tumblr_m4ju4mimrb1qcb58yo2_500_zps706ffc8a.gif

I LOVE you!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member

Your body produces formaldehyde and it is NOT a poison. Formaldehyde metabolizes into formic acid and formic acid is excreted without causing harm.

I know my own body. I trust my own results, which I don't have to prove to anybody!

Sorry, I just miss her so..
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Meh, if the artificial sweeteners don't give you headaches or digestive issues, go ahead and drink it. If you are drinking your body weight in it a day, you may want to cut back some though.....
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    I never used to drink diet anything. But considering i can barely taste a difference between reg and diet i figured why throw away 160 calories when i didn't have to? I drink about 2-3 diet cokes a week and for me it has aided in my weightloss by giving me something sweet to help with my cravings.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member

Your body produces formaldehyde and it is NOT a poison in doses typically seen in humans and it's certainly not toxic from people who drink a few diet sodas.. Formaldehyde metabolizes into formic acid and formic acid is excreted without causing harm.

Edit:
    Effects of Methanol: About 10 percent by weight of aspartame is released as methanol. In the body, methanol converts into formaldehyde and formate. Because formate can cause blindness and metabolic acidosis [Tephly and McMartin, 1984], methanol is toxic when humans consume it in large quantities. In order for the body to accumulate a significant amount of formate, a human must consume 200 to 500 mg of methanol per kg of body weight [Food and Drug Administration, 1984], an amount that corresponds to drinking 600 to 1700 cans of diet soft drink at once

^ And this would be a good example of dose/context-- good post. This is why you can't take research using ridiculous doses delivered via injection and extrapolate that to say "better not drink that can of soda".

Can you prove this? Oh wait you did! That's why I think your awesome!
    thumbsupgasmask_zpsd9b60950.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Diet pop isn't as dangerous as dihydrogen monoxide. 100% of people who drink it end up dying.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    Should I log it as sparkling water or plain water ....gggrrrr I am so confused.
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm not quoting the wall of text "studies" but I will say this:

Check out my ticker. You see that big, shiny number? Yea, I got to that big, shiny number drinking about 2-4 diet sodas a day.

That is awesome!!!
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Heck, anyone can look up aspartame or whatever on google and check out the various studies, theories and what not about artificial sweeteners and make up their own minds. Personally I think its terrible stuff not fit for consumption, but everyones different I guess.

A relative of mine who works in the RAF also told me once that the pilots are barred from consuming aspartame/artificial sweeteners before flying aircraft, because aspartame toxicity leaves them more susceptible to suffering from vertigo and even seizures during flight.

"Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods. Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include:
    Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2)
    Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes."

Believe what you will. If you feel good and drink diet drinks carry on as you are. Even though I am under the belief that artificial sweeteners are very bad for you, I know it would be ridiculous to believe that they can cause EVERYONE harm. Like a medication, some might suffer from adverse side effects where as others may not be affected at all and I think its the same with sweeteners but I am not willing to take the risk.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member

Edit:

I appreciate your info on the matter. Thank you for the input.

I am a massive cynic when it comes to all artificial ingredients in foods and thats just me so, I'll never be convinced otherwise I must admit haha but each to their own!!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    sparkteens.com :flowerforyou:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Heck, anyone can look up aspartame or whatever on google and check out the various studies, theories and what not about artificial sweeteners and make up their own minds. Personally I think its terrible stuff not fit for consumption, but everyones different I guess.

A relative of mine who works in the RAF also told me once that the pilots are barred from consuming aspartame/artificial sweeteners before flying aircraft, because aspartame toxicity leaves them more susceptible to suffering from vertigo and even seizures during flight.

"Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods. Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include:
    Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2)
    Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes."

Believe what you will. If you feel good and drink diet drinks carry on as you are. Even though I am under the belief that artificial sweeteners are very bad for you, I know it would be ridiculous to believe that they can cause EVERYONE harm. Like a medication, some might suffer from adverse side effects where as others may not be affected at all and I think its the same with sweeteners but I am not willing to take the risk.

mercololololola?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Diet pop isn't as dangerous as dihydrogen monoxide. 100% of people who drink it end up dying.
    But that's a chemical in loads of stuff!

I think people should also look it up and make up their own minds too!
    http://www.dhmo.org/
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    I have nothing to add but the phrase "diet fizzy pop" sounds like something from the Wonka Factory so it made me smile.

Drink up people if it makes you happy. The phrase "healthy lifestyle" also contains the word LIFE! Go live it!