protein shakes

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My vote also goes to Body Fortress and Muscletech Six Star- but ONLY the six star ISOLATE whey. I HATE their regular protein as much as I like the isolate.

Body Fortress is especially good if you intend to use it hot- in coffee or oatmeal. Seems to mix the easiest and tolerate the heat very well without denaturing- which is really important to me. Plus it's cheap.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar - Chocolate and Vanilla flavors are good...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You want to pick a protein powder that fits your over all macros. There is no point using one that has 15 grams of carbs per scoop.
  • gettingstronger4me
    Options
    I am just barely getting into the protein shake thing and I use it for breakfast most of the time. call me crazy but I bought the chocolate "biggest loser" one, I just add a cup of non fat milk, some ice and 1/2 a banana, it's delicious and keeps me feeling pretty satisfied. I'll be going to GNC next week and hopefully will find a better one. I'd love to try shakeology but geez, over $100 - not so sure
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress protein powder

You can buy a 2 lb. tub for about $15 at Walmart. Tastes decent. I mix mine with 2% milk.

Would it work with Almond Milk? #DumbQuestion
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Amplified Wheybolic Protein Powder - goes a long way i use one scoop instead of three. Lifters that want to build muscle use three scoops. It goes a long way and i use almond and coconut milk blend 60 cal per cup or nonfat yogurt as a base.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Body Fortress protein powder

You can buy a 2 lb. tub for about $15 at Walmart. Tastes decent. I mix mine with 2% milk.

Would it work with Almond Milk? #DumbQuestion

Totally.
  • Lizard5648
    Options
    I love the Evox Lean: 21g protein, 1.8g Carbs and 0.5g fat/per serving and yummy flavours :-)

http://www.evox.co.za/product-item.aspx?prid=26
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I am just barely getting into the protein shake thing and I use it for breakfast most of the time. call me crazy but I bought the chocolate "biggest loser" one, I just add a cup of non fat milk, some ice and 1/2 a banana, it's delicious and keeps me feeling pretty satisfied. I'll be going to GNC next week and hopefully will find a better one. I'd love to try shakeology but geez, over $100 - not so sure

DO NOT spend $100 on protein. The Body fortress one everyone is talking about from wal-mart is $15 for ~24 servings of 26g protein and every bit as good as something more expensive. GNC is really pricey, too. I would only buy from GNC if it was the only available option.

ETA: One benefit (little known) about GNC, though, is if you don't like something, you can return the unused portion for a refund. That might make it worth it while you're brand-shopping. It's up to the discretion of the sales person if they think you're using most of a product and trying to rip off the system.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Not sure if you get it in America (as I'm Australian) but I use Body For Women shakes in 5 different flavours and I love them all!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like body fortress (strawberry and vanilla flavors), available at Walmart for pretty cheap - In the morning, I blend 1 scoop with some milk (or water) and frozen peaches/strawberries for a yummy, protein smoothie. Sometimes I'll add a packet of diet hot cocoa for a chocolate kick. It keeps me quite full
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

DO NOT spend $100 on protein. The Body fortress one everyone is talking about from wal-mart is $15 for ~24 servings of 26g protein and every bit as good as something more expensive. GNC is really pricey, too. I would only buy from GNC if it was the only available option.

ETA: One benefit (little known) about GNC, though, is if you don't like something, you can return the unused portion for a refund. That might make it worth it while you're brand-shopping. It's up to the discretion of the sales person if they think you're using most of a product and trying to rip off the system.

Not really true. As with just about everything, you get what you pay for. The protein used in the body fortress brand is lower quality, does not dissolve well and it appears that the actual amount of protein per scoop is over estimated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/

Body fortress appears to only have half the protein content claimed on the label.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Not really true. As with just about everything, you get what you pay for. The protein used in the body fortress brand is lower quality, does not dissolve well and it appears that the actual amount of protein per scoop is over estimated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/

Body fortress appears to only have half the protein content claimed on the label.

I've seen this before- I do agree that it's interesting- compelling even. But my experience is that it dissolves well, and I would not make a decision to spend what would amount to several thousand dollars a year on protein based on one sample analysis. The economics make it still a better decision than a lot of brands, even if you only get half the protein.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I use Lean Pro Matrix, made by Nutrition Zone. It has a slow release formula that also has digestive enzymes (help with staying regular). Google it, you will find great reviews from people that seem t know much more abut it than me lol
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I've seen this before- I do agree that it's interesting- compelling even. But my experience is that it dissolves well, and I would not make a decision to spend what would amount to several thousand dollars a year on protein based on one sample analysis. The economics make it still a better decision than a lot of brands, even if you only get half the protein.
    If you're getting short changed on the amount of protein per serving, you're only hurting yourself in the end. All just to to save a few dollars.
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    just get any whey protein and make your own shakes. Anything from sams club/costco or walmart will work, as long as its whey protein. I like to freeze bananas and throw them in my shake along with frozen strawberries (no need to add ice). 2 scoops whey protein, 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana, and half cup cottage cheese and blend it all together.. this will yield around 4 cups and 800 calories. It tastes amazing IMO and it sits in your stomach for a while :). You can throw spinach in there and blend it all together too! You won't even taste it.
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The original poster is a 45 year old female... I'm assuming that she doesnt want to bulk up and use creatine.
    Carnivor. made by Muscle Meds..... I have tried just about everything out there, and in my opinion, nothing beats it. Its beef protein vs whey, but is just as fast acting as whey. It also has 2.5 g of creatine per scoop.

[imghttp://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server3300/76a30/products/703/images/3070/musclemeds_carnivor-4lbs-1814g_1__68043.1332789230.1280.1280.jpg[/img]