Protein Shakes, Building Muscle, Staying Lean

Options
lwebsmfp
lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
I'd like to understand how it works and what I should be doing to achieve my goals. I'm already doing the best I can to eat a healthy and balanced diet. I work out 3 to 4 times a week for at least 30 to 45 minutes which includes cardio and strength training. My weight gain came on after the births of my two kids and I'd like to lose the body fat, gain some muscle, but stay lean. I don't want to bulk up. Most of the weight is in my belly, hips, and thighs. Building muscle burns more fat, right?

I've read a lot of good reviews online about Protein Shakes and their benefits. I've been drinking the Special K Protein Shakes and love them. Should I drink them anytime or should I drink them after a workout? I'm also concerned about sugar content. I think these shakes have like 18g of sugar. Are their better Protein Shakes out there with less sugar but still taste good. I read up some on Muscle Milk and that seems appealing too but someone said if you have belly fat to lose that it probably isn't a good idea to drink this right now.

So, I'd really appreciate some information on the benefits of Protein Shakes and the best time of day to drink them. Will eating right, exercising, and drinking Protein Shakes help me towards my goal of losing body fat, gaining muscle, but staying lean?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to understand this all and want to make sure I'm doing the right things. Your support is always appreciated. :)

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Bump.....I would like to know this too!
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I drink the gnc soy protein shakes. They are really low in sugar and carbs and are only 130 calories if you mix with water. I blend the chocolate powder with ice and water, its really good. I read that you should have them first thing "breakfast". another good time in addition is after excercising for recovery. They are definetely filling especially if you blend them with ice.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha 6 for a number of reasons

1st - it only has 2 g of sugar per scoop
    2nd - 22 g of protien per scoop
    3rd - and most importantly it tastes good....thats the key for me

But, Muscle milk light isnt that bad either

Protein shakes are great for anybody exercising...it promotes healthy building of lean muscle mass
  • angelajeanne23
    Options
    Here's a great article on the benefits of adding more protein to your diet. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/more-protein-equals-leaner-you.htm

The protein I use is the Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition. It has 120 calories per scoop, 24 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of sugar. The flavors I've tried are absolutely delicious! (Cake batter and Rocky Road really satisfy any sweet tooth cravings!)

It's a good idea to have one before you workout and one after. That way you're feeding your muscles as much as possible!
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Special K but I occasionally drink the Atkins Shakes. They are delicious and I drink one instead of an entree for lunch and just supplement with additional fruits and vegetables. I also eat South Beach protein cereal bars daily and South Beach protein snack bars in the evening. The extra protein is good for the short term. I plan on utilizing these products for approximately 3 months. WIth that being said, I am never within the recommended guidelines for protein intake but always under everything else!
  • Newtrail
    Newtrail Posts: 3
    Options
    I've started using GNC's Pro Performance - 100% Whey Protein with BCAA's I'm seeing good results so far, flavors are a bit bland...
    I preferr to do one cup of 100% natural O.J. to 2 cups of H2O + the Whey Protein.
  • floridasea1
    floridasea1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a great recipe for a Whey protein shake in Women's World Magazine this month. Whey totally satisfies you and you don't ever feel hungry if you have a fruit and protein shake for breakfast. Good luck.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    From what I have read here, I have learned that while on a calorie deficit you CAN NOT gain muscle. However, you want to keep the muscle you have and not lose it - so by exercising, using those muscles, and getting protein you are protecting them from loss while you lose mostly fat. Protein shakes are beneficial in getting that extra boost of protein - that help you keep the muscle you have.. then when you hit you weight goal, if you want to build muscle you can go on a calorie surplus (yes, eating to gain) and eating a lot of high protein foods and shakes (especially as a recovery after weight training) to help you gain weight in muscle mass.

So to answer your question, it will help you keep your lean muscle and lose fat to get that protein, especially if you aren't getting enough protein from foods.

I am by no means an expert, this is just what I have come to understand from reading I have been doing. :smile:
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, I take BSN Syntha 6 protein as well. It is one of the healthier proteins, and it is very tasty! If you get the Strawberry or Vanilla flavors, you can mix one scoop with some water and fresh fruits, or some orange juice and frozen fruits and it makes a great smoothie (thus skipping the step of adding sweeteners or yogurts, etc)!

In terms of what time of the day to take your protein, it depends on what your protein is made of. Check on the back for ingredients. If your protein is a Whey compound, then this protein is a FAST absorbing protein and is best taken immediately following your workout (the optimal time window is about 30min).

Other proteins are generally made of egg or soy (Syntha 6 is a mix of soy, egg and whey), are best taken when your body has time to absorb the protein completely and repair your muscles. Breakfast is an OK time, but 2 hours after your workout or as healthy desert after dinner are the best times.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for a post strength training replenishment. You can gain muscle and you won't bulk up. Women just don't have the hormones for this. You can gain muscle and lose body fat but you have to really know your body and the calories you are consuming. In the last month I've lost 2.5 lbs and gained 1 lb of muscle. To do this I have been eating my exercise calories, doing 45 minutes of strength training, 10-20 minutes of high intensity cardio and eating at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

I also recommend myoplex ready to drink shakes. They are one of the healthier ones on the market with less sugar, saturated fat, and calories.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluexiii
    Options
    From what I have read here, I have learned that while on a calorie deficit you CAN NOT gain muscle. However, you want to keep the muscle you have and not lose it - so by exercising, using those muscles, and getting protein you are protecting them from loss while you lose mostly fat. Protein shakes are beneficial in getting that extra boost of protein - that help you keep the muscle you have.. then when you hit you weight goal, if you want to build muscle you can go on a calorie surplus (yes, eating to gain) and eating a lot of high protein foods and shakes (especially as a recovery after weight training) to help you gain weight in muscle mass.

So to answer your question, it will help you keep your lean muscle and lose fat to get that protein, especially if you aren't getting enough protein from foods.

I am by no means an expert, this is just what I have come to understand from reading I have been doing. :smile:

Calorie deficit DOES NOT mean you can't gain muscle! This is a common myth. It all depends on what kind of calories you are taking in! Taking in the proper amount of carbs and protein (whole grains, lean meats such as chicken and turkey) will allow for muscle gain. Filling your body with excess sugars or fats will obviously not allow for proper muscle gain

I am not sure if this is the rule of thumb for women as well, but for men to gain muscle they should typically take in 1g of protein for every 1lb in weight. This may seem like a lot, but you will see and feel the results in the definition of your muscle!

Most proteins are high in cholesterol and caloric content. If you are starting a new protein regiment, start with one serving a day. If you are still losing ample amounts of weight, you can try adding more shakes during the day until you find a healthy balance.

For healthy (and economical) choices of protein, I recommend either BSN Syntha 6 or EAS Myoplex Meal Replacement powder packs. GNC 100% Whey protein is nice (I used this for about 4 years), but is WAY overpriced, doesn't taste that great and leaves you feeling cotton-mouthed.

www.dpsnutrition.com is a great place to order either the Syntha 6 and EAS proteins at by far the cheapest prices.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm marking a spot - curious to see what other answers come out of this.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - whether you are intending the protein shake to be a meal replacement or a supplement. That information could also help choose one. I personally have a homemade protein shake every morning for breakfast during my commute to work. Here is my recipe - 192 cals, 14 carbs, 30 protein, 1 fat, 2 fiber, 11 sugar.

1 can Diet Rite Tangerine SF Soda
    1 single-use packet of Crystal Light - I like Wild Strawberry Energy
    1 serving MLO High Protein Powder
    1/2 cup Plain FF Yogurt
    1/2 cup Strawberries

Blend well, add some ice cubes, blend again, and this is usually enough to fill my 32-ounce Rubbermaid Glug Bottle.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    bumper
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit DOES NOT mean you can't gain muscle! This is a common myth. It all depends on what kind of calories you are taking in! Taking in the proper amount of carbs and protein (whole grains, lean meats such as chicken and turkey) will allow for muscle gain. Filling your body with excess sugars or fats will obviously not allow for proper muscle gain

I am not sure if this is the rule of thumb for women as well, but for men to gain muscle they should typically take in 1g of protein for every 1lb in weight. This may seem like a lot, but you will see and feel the results in the definition of your muscle!

Most proteins are high in cholesterol and caloric content. If you are starting a new protein regiment, start with one serving a day. If you are still losing ample amounts of weight, you can try adding more shakes during the day until you find a healthy balance.

For healthy (and economical) choices of protein, I recommend either BSN Syntha 6 or EAS Myoplex Meal Replacement powder packs. GNC 100% Whey protein is nice (I used this for about 4 years), but is WAY overpriced, doesn't taste that great and leaves you feeling cotton-mouthed.

www.dpsnutrition.com is a great place to order either the Syntha 6 and EAS proteins at by far the cheapest prices.

I was just reporting my understanding from my readings. One of the main places I learned this was from this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss

I am not looking for an argument, just giving advice from what I have learned in reference to me not being an expert. I am pretty new to this myself. :flowerforyou:
  • bluexiii
    Options

I was just reporting my understanding from my readings. One of the main places I learned this was from this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss

I am not looking for an argument, just giving advice from what I have learned in reference to me not being an expert. I am pretty new to this myself. :flowerforyou:

This article is only partially correct. Muscle MASS can mean two things, not only size but also lean muscle.

While trying to cut weight, is it harder to build any kind of muscle? Sure is. However, if your workouts and diet are properly structured you should be getting a mix of both. Muscle SIZE is normally only gained from a very high excess of carbs and protein. Lean muscle (tone) can be gained from proper nutrition, which can occur whether or not you are losing weight. When gaining lean muscle, you are still building muscle and will gain some kind of muscle weight. This however is generally considered the "healthy" kind of muscle and is responsible for being able to move from 10 reps of bicep curls to 15 reps. Most men shoot for size and tone which is entirely possible due to their hormones, while only tone is available for women (unless supplements such as testosterone or creatine are being used).

Adding strength training to any workout/diet routine is essential. Why? Because more lean muscle = more fat burned. On days where strength training is a part of the picture, eating the proper amount of protein is not only essential to your bodies proper growth, but is also going to gain you some muscle mass.

Yes, muscle weighs more than fat. However the fat you are burning will be MUCH greater than the muscle you are putting on. Would you rather burn 10 lbs of fat and at the end of the day still have no body figure? Or lose 10 lbs of fat but gain 2 lbs of muscle for a more defined you?

This is not so much a problem for men. Men naturally gain large muscles and definition due to the testosterone in our bodies. Not only that, but how many guys just want to be skinny? Most men aspire to be lean, cut, and have noticeable muscle mass. This does not hold true for women. This is because womens bodies simply do not produce enough testosterone to get "bulky."

Long story short, without the proper nutrients and intake of proteins, yes you will lose more weight. H
  • thebatacs
    thebatacs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump... Awesome topic and information provided!!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely learning some new information here and look forward to more feedback on this. As for the shakes, I'm not looking for a meal replacement. I haven't been very active for awhile but just started recently and so whatever muscle I have and whatever I build I want to take care of properly in order to achieve my goals. As far as the Special K shakes go, I've been consuming one after my workout to help repair/feed my muscles. I read the label and it says Whey Protein so I'm guessing that's a good thing. I'm going to look into the other shakes some of you have mentioned as I want something with less sugar too. Thanks again for all the info. I'll continue to watch this thread for any further info. anyone wants to share.
  • bluexiii
    Options

This article is only partially correct. Muscle MASS can mean two things, not only size but also lean muscle.

While trying to cut weight, is it harder to build any kind of muscle? Sure is. However, if your workouts and diet are properly structured you should be getting a mix of both. Muscle SIZE is normally only gained from a very high excess of carbs and protein. Lean muscle (tone) can be gained from proper nutrition, which can occur whether or not you are losing weight. When gaining lean muscle, you are still building muscle and will gain some kind of muscle weight. This however is generally considered the "healthy" kind of muscle and is responsible for being able to move from 10 reps of bicep curls to 15 reps. Most men shoot for size and tone which is entirely possible due to their hormones, while only tone is available for women (unless supplements such as testosterone or creatine are being used).

Adding strength training to any workout/diet routine is essential. Why? Because more lean muscle = more fat burned. On days where strength training is a part of the picture, eating the proper amount of protein is not only essential to your bodies proper growth, but is also going to gain you some muscle mass.

Yes, muscle weighs more than fat. However the fat you are burning will be MUCH greater than the muscle you are putting on. Would you rather burn 10 lbs of fat and at the end of the day still have no body figure? Or lose 10 lbs of fat but gain 2 lbs of muscle for a more defined you?

This is not so much a problem for men. Men naturally gain large muscles and definition due to the testosterone in our bodies. Not only that, but how many guys just want to be skinny? Most men aspire to be lean, cut, and have noticeable muscle mass. This does not hold true for women. This is because womens bodies simply do not produce enough testosterone to get "bulky."

Long story short, without the proper nutrients and intake of proteins, yes you will lose more weight.

I don't know how to edit my previous posts. But what I meant to say at the end there is yes you could lose more weight if you don't take the proper nutrients, but if you build some lean muscle mass as you go you will see more results and be looking and feeling better in no time!

Much love and best of luck to everyone! We can do this!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump