Dieting as a High school student

I attend high school for half the day and vocational school the second half. I have been trying off and on to become healthy and drop some weight. At school it's no problem because I have a wrap loading with veggies for lunch everyday. But my house doesn't really have much healthy food and I am not the one who buys it so I can control all the processed food and lack of vegetables. I'm not sure what kind of help I could get but some advice would help for like getting healthy snacks for school and being healthier at home.

Replies

• poc1919
    poc1919 Posts: 44 Member
    I can totally relate with you! I was the same way for years.. The best way that i find works, is having a group of people help you/motivate you to make smart choices with food. Myfitnesspal is an amazing way to do that. I would recommed staying away from processed foods. Youre on the right track with your lunch though, as long as you can keep all the processed/junk out of those wraps, you are good to go. As for your home life, try to explain to the people who buy the food that you are wanting to start eating more veggies,fruits,almonds (healthier foods) and im sure they will understand and help you out :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    I know you're hugely busy with school, but would it be practical to cook dinner some of the time? Then you would have good standing to ask your family to buy healthier foods. Heck, buy some tupperware and cook large batches at once, and you'll have a nice bit of food for throughout the week in less time (this especially works for soups, stews, and chilis).
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Like what bathsheba said... you cook or ask for some specific things for your family to buy. If you can get the shopper to buy you a pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then take some time on Sunday to grill them up and then store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Take one out each night- heat it up and eat as is, with a side of rice or something. Another night, cut it up and have it in a tortilla with some lettuce/cheese, etc. Another can be on a salad. Another can be as a chicken burger...
    Kind of boring, but healthier than the processed stuff...
    It must be hard to not be in control of what comes into the house or what is served... maybe your family can use this as an opportunity to ALL eat better? Good luck!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Just remember: Nobody will be impressed by your excuses.
  • poc1919
    poc1919 Posts: 44 Member
    I totally agree with both of you. Very good advice coming from everyone. Cooking and pre packagin your meals ahead of time is probably the best way to do it:)
  • Thank you for your help guys! I do cook I just don't determine what we cook. I just recently got a job so I am hoping to starting buying veggies and things for me to eat.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Even when you can't control what you are eating (I totally get that since I live at home) you can control your portions. I know that my mom would sometimes be offended or get upset if I didn't want to eat what she made so I would eat less. I'd try to pick the healthier parts of the pean (protein and veggies) and eat more of those and avoid the extra pasta, bread, dessert, etc.

Good luck!