Fruit add too many calories.

Options
Do you think i shouldn't add fruit to my foods records .. if it adds so many calories, because i eat alot of fruit, so it takes up about 500 of my calories, and then it tells me i need to cut down on calories .. well i thought fruit were healthy and we were went to eat 5 a day? Its confusing.

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How much fruit do you eat? an apple is only 80-90 cal. I don't know if cutting fruit is good, you'd be cutting a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and a good amount of dietary fiber
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    You should add everything you eat to your food diary and stay within your calories. Fruit is good for you, but there are other food groups as well. Try to balance the food groups as to provide your body with a variety of nutrients. Your body needs different nutrients in order to function properly, hence, a well balanced diet/lifestyle.
  • smae1980
    Options
    5 a day is the old food pyramid recommendation of fruit and veg. I believe the fruit recommendation is 2-3 servings a day
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should eat 5-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day, but most should come from veggies (over half) so if you eat 5 servings you should not have more than 2 fruit, if you have 7 or 8 servings 3 should be fruit.

Calories are calories (when it comes to loosing weight) and you should count those from fruit and veggies.
  • juelsJUSTICE
    Options
    I eat like .. 2 apples a day, 3 banana's a day and some berry's (all kinds) .. also oranges sometimes too :) It all adds up to about 400 for me for some reason :S is it supposed to add to that amount? Because if fruit uses up 400 calories then i dont have space to eat all my 3 meals a day along with drinks aswell (i drink fruit juices which also have quite a few calories)
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    count everything! and even if your over on your daily counter. Later on when u look back at your log you will be able to identify what u need to eat less of and what you need to eat more of. Remember everyones body is different this takes a little bit of trial and error.

Agreed its hard to fit all your meals into the day but look into eating smaller portions....
  • smae1980
    Options
    I would do as Eric said and try to make up some of the fruit with veg
  • Ahaverland
    Options
    Bananas are one of the highest calorie fruits, while they are nutritious 3 a day is a little over the top, if you cut out 3 banans you will cut back about 200 calories...
  • Ahaverland
    Options
    Oh and cut out fruit juice, my motto is - dont drink your calories (with skim milk being the ONLY exception), it is still mainly sugar and causes a blood sugar spike even though it is made from fruit doesnt mean it is great for us!
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    Bananas are one of the highest calorie fruits, while they are nutritious 3 a day is a little over the top, if you cut out 3 banans you will cut back about 200 calories...

Really?? some good info... eventhough i dont eat any bannanas... maybe i should
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did weight watchers a few years back, and had a period where I stopped loosing weight. The lady from ww reviewed my tracker and said I was eating too many bananas. I was having at least one a day for breakfast. She told me that they are the highest fat fruit and to limit them to 3 a week!! :ohwell:
  • smae1980
    Options
    Oh and cut out fruit juice, my motto is - dont drink your calories (with skim milk being the ONLY exception), it is still mainly sugar and causes a blood sugar spike even though it is made from fruit doesnt mean it is great for us!

Also why many people don't get enough fiber, they think if they drink fruit juice it's equal to eating fruit, but you don't get the fiber that makes up whole fruit
  • juelsJUSTICE
    Options
    When i get hungry, i eat fruit, banana's fill me up alot so i eat banana's. I end up eating ALOT since i thought that eating fruit would be better as a snack rather than cereal bars or crisps or something. I usually get hungry alot during meals.
  • mnmom182
    mnmom182 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should check your portions. Five a day is a good rule, but a large apple may be as much as two servings! And always count all of your calories, even the ones from healthy foods! Also, try a vegetable instead of a fruit, most are lower in carbs and calories than fruits
  • LolaBee09
    Options
    Two apples a day depending on how big is 80-90 cal so that's at least 160-180, 1 medium banana is 105 calories and if you're eating 3 a day, then it will add up to 500 calories and/or more with the juices you drink also. Stick to what the other members said and try to avoid fruit juices in general because of the sugar content and the empty calories you don't need. Another thing you can do is to invest in a juicer which you can cut or toss your fruits into it and it extracts the juice for you. So not only are you getting half the calories of the fruits without the pulp but you're also getting your fruit juice fix in the process and that should help.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I eat like .. 2 apples a day, 3 banana's a day and some berry's (all kinds) .. also oranges sometimes too :) It all adds up to about 400 for me for some reason :S is it supposed to add to that amount? Because if fruit uses up 400 calories then i dont have space to eat all my 3 meals a day along with drinks aswell (i drink fruit juices which also have quite a few calories)

You should cut the fruit back in order to make room for everything you need in your diet, and definitely cut out the fruit juice- a typical glass of fruit juice has about 22 grams of sugar, and none of the fiber to balance that out.

Every calorie counts- even the healthy ones, so you definitely need to count your fruit.
  • tollesh
    tollesh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Our trainer always says to eat fruit right after a good work out where your body needs those simple sugars that are easy to break down and absorb. The calories aren't any fewer but at least you know your body will work it off while recuperating from your work out. And def. stay away from them in the evening, too high in sugar!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did weight watchers a few years back, and had a period where I stopped loosing weight. The lady from ww reviewed my tracker and said I was eating too many bananas. I was having at least one a day for breakfast. She told me that they are the highest fat fruit and to limit them to 3 a week!! :ohwell:

I have a daily banana, and it hasn't affected my weight loss at all. Bananas are the perfect food. :)
  • Ahaverland
    Options
    I love bananas as well and I typically eat about 3 a week, they do fill you up and provide an excellent source of potassium which is essential for proper muscle functioning, but if you are hungry try to incorporate more vegetables (I struggle with this too as I am not a huge veggie eater) raw carrots and peppers are filling and if you are good at controlling your portions you can dip them in some hummus or fat free ranch dressing if you dont like them plain.
  • Ahaverland
    Options
    But on a brighter note - BRAVO for reaching for fruit instead of OREOs or Ben&Jerrys!