No/low impact exercises

Does anyone know of some good exercises that are no or very low impact?
I've got bad knees and find that just about any activity that requires me to bend at the knee causes extreme pain and also results in swelling for days afterward, but I feel like I need more cardio in my workout. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Spiderman crawls - forward and backward.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    maybe swimming? but you should really ask a sports oriented medical professional this question along with what to do to resolve this issue, not ask a bunch of random jamokes like me on the internet
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Walking and treadmill at an incline are very low imoact. I also take supplements for joint pain. Recently began drinking "Just Tart Cherry Juice" and within days saw an improvement in the pain and can do more exercises now. My trainer also suggest doing some squats to build up the muscle around the joint, something I was affraid to try but I do some until it gets too bothersome. Also for afterward use ice then heat for swelling and pain. If you can stand to use a wrap try that too. Good Luck.:flowerforyou:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Swimming. Biking. That's about it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Anything in the pool

Bikes are also good.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Swimming is great for no-impact exercise. Your body weight will be supported by the water as well. Have you ever gone climbing? I'm not sure if your knee can handle it (not entirely sure what movements may hurt it) but climbing is good exercise because you're having to lift your body weight. You could go to an indoor wall for a taster session to see if your knee can handle it. What about yoga? I know it might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you say 'cardio' but if you pick the right kind you can get a great workout.
  • danyale78
    danyale78 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for suggestions! And I do have an appt with a dr this week :)