Hmmm

Options
I am prone to eating junk :( I am trying to stop but have noticed that this has taken away quite a few of my meals. Are protein shakes a good way to go?

Replies

• raniaucf
    Options
    I find putting a spoon of natural peanut butter in vanilla shakes help my junk craving a little :)
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Stop buying junk. If it's not in your house you can't eat it.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Agreed; stop buying junk..replace with produce. Eat lots of fresh, raw veggies and if you like dip it in hummus of your choice (my favorite is roasted red pepper) or salsa, "Sals-sa"
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eat more filling foods, and drink a pint of water with meals. If your stomach is full your brain is less likely to have snack urges.

I would say just limit the amount of junk food you buy, or if you live with people ask them if they can keep chocs etc out of sight. There's more chance you'll eat something if you can see it when you open the kitchen cupboard/ fridge.

If you're trying to lose weight replacing them with peanut butter or houmous isn't great imho. I love both but you still should only eat them in moderation. A choc bar could be 100 cals whilst a small spoon of either "healthier" food could easily be more cals and that's before adding up the cals of what you're eating them with. ie add another 100 cals for a slice of bread. Obviously the more nutritional food is going to be better, but calories are calories.

Going cold turkey on any food isn't great, if you don't buy any "bad" nice food then it's increasing the chance of bingeing next time unless you have immense willpower. There's no need to eat super clean its just about sticking to how many calories your putting into your body and how much you're burning off each day. A treat now and then is fine, and more maintainable in the long run.

Whilst protein is proven to suppress appetite, I'd suggest eating food and only using them supplement if necessary. It's also pretty costly buying decent whey protein. You don't want to be buying any Body Fortress crap.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    Protein/meal replacement shakes are not the way to go in the situation you're describing, because they don't teach you about willpower, portion control or proper eating habits. Protein shakes are intended as a way to supplement protein intake when you're not getting enough from whole foods. You'd serve yourself far better by getting your eating habits under control and learning to eat proper amounts of "real" food so your diet is sustainable in the long term.

Weight loss is simple, but it isn't easy. Read this thread for some great advice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • cassyd12345
    Options
    Thanks everyone!