Breathing problems during exercise

Options
I have no idea why, but I have noticed that when I am exercising I start breathing heavy and then I start holding my breath off and on for short periods of time. I have done this for as long as I can remember. I have heard that you're supposed to be able to carry on a conversation while you're exercising, but there is no way I can do this. Can someone help me please??

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop holding your breath! :laugh: there are all kinds of evolutionary reasons why breathing is an involuntary act, the most important being the avoidance of death

and dont worry about always being able to carry on a conversation while you workout. higher intensity workouts will have you well in the upper ranges of your limits. as long as you've been cleared by your doctor to exercise and your heart is fine, being in the "can't talk... exercising" range is good for you

if it gets too bad then just slow down and catch your breath
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor! There are some breathing issues that only manifest themselves during exercise, so you should make sure you aren't doing anything dangerous.
  • d8402l
    d8402l Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For the brief period of time when I went to a personal trainer, she told me I held my breath when I was working out. Something about the muscle strain made me subconsciously hold my breath. So when I would go in for a workout she made me count out loud. This forced me to breath regularly. So now anytime I do a workout I find myself counting out loud, because I notice that when I don't I hold my breath.