There should be a "like" button

Options
luvcookie707
luvcookie707 Posts: 6 Member
I really think there needs to be a "like" button on here. I would definitely use it.

Replies

• Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This should really be in the Website Suggestion/Feedback section along with the 72 other threads requesting a *like* button.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't. No like button is needed.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    This should really be in the Website Suggestion/Feedback section along with the 72,000 other threads requesting a *like* button.
    Fixed that typo for you.

And I say; no we don't need a "like" button.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    like button, while in theory is a good idea and will work for typical forums or facebook, is not a great idea.

When I finish a diary, I expect people to comment on what they thought about my intake. Too little, too much, too much fat, too little veggies, lack of water, no dinner etc. I want specifics. With the like button people will simple see a like on a diary and automatically assume its fine and click on like without ever checking it out.
    Clicking the “like” button is basically saying “I’m too busy to actually be supportive so instead, I will give myself the illusion that I’m being supportive by clicking a button”. While we’re at it, we can make other buttons that’re vague too like “you’re awesome!” or “Tomorrow is another day” and so on.

On forums, like is the equivalent of saying "lol". You're just putting that there to show your existence without contributing anything. If you agree with post, you can bump it or say "agreed" which is the same as "bump" in the sense that it brings the post on top of the forum and helps to spread out the message that thread is bringing up.

tl;dr: "like" button might be a suitable idea for many sites, but not for a support and knowledge base site like MFP. Using it is just being lazy and I would much rather have somebody not say anything than being “supportive” by clicking a button.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    like button, while in theory is a good idea and will work for typical forums or facebook, is not a great idea.

When I finish a diary, I expect people to comment on what they thought about my intake. Too little, too much, too much fat, too little veggies, lack of water, no dinner etc. I want specifics. With the like button people will simple see a like on a diary and automatically assume its fine and click on like without ever checking it out.
    Clicking the “like” button is basically saying “I’m too busy to actually be supportive so instead, I will give myself the illusion that I’m being supportive by clicking a button”. While we’re at it, we can make other buttons that’re vague too like “you’re awesome!” or “Tomorrow is another day” and so on.

On forums, like is the equivalent of saying "lol". You're just putting that there to show your existence without contributing anything. If you agree with post, you can bump it or say "agreed" which is the same as "bump" in the sense that it brings the post on top of the forum and helps to spread out the message that thread is bringing up.

tl;dr: "like" button might be a suitable idea for many sites, but not for a support and knowledge base site like MFP. Using it is just being lazy and I would much rather have somebody not say anything than being “supportive” by clicking a button.

*Like*
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

*Like*

ditto.