Question regarding etiquette (weights)

Options
So I made my plan today for my ST, and I set myself up on the pulley machine. In order to move quickly between sets, I had the rope on one side (triceps) bar on the other (biceps) and a mat off to the side to do push-ups. The plan was to move so I wasn't in the way when I wasn't on a particular side too long. While working, this guy come in and started on the rope...and then hung out for like 5 minutes between sets.

So what I want to know is, did I go about this all wrong? Should I have done all my sets and then moved on, or should I have asked if I could step in for a moment.

I hate that I was super timid, but I am trying or work in the weights section more and I would like to know what the appropriate etiquette is.

Thanks.

Replies

• joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well it was rude of the guy to start using the machine without asking if you were using it. Usually if I see someone using a machine or bench that I want to use, I ask how many sets they have left or if I could possibly work in and get in a set during their rest period. Next time, just be like, "excuse me I was using that machine" and you can either let him use it when you are resting or if you are doing it in a circuit fashion or superset fashion with minimal to no rest, just politely notify him of that and it should be ok. You have just as much right to use the machines as he does.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you were already there then you could just say you were already there but offer to alternate or whatever.

LOL@ someone taking 5 min rest between rope pull downs

To overstep, you might consider doing a prewritten beginner routine focused on compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, bench press (although you're doing pushups), overhead press, barbell rows, and pullups) rather than spending a bunch of time on arm isolation exercises.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you were already there then you could just say you were already there but offer to alternate or whatever.

LOL@ someone taking 5 min rest between rope pull downs

To overstep, you might consider doing a prewritten beginner routine focused on compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, bench press (although you're doing pushups), overhead press, barbell rows, and pullups) rather than spending a bunch of time on arm isolation exercises.

Not overstepping at all. I did a lower body intense workout yesterday, so I thought arms would be the way to go while I let my legs take a break.

The more I learn the better, I'd rather work efficiently.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It is commonly stated that "beginners should not try to program for themselves until they have built a solid foundation, have some experience under their belt, and have found out what their own weaknesses are and how to program for them accordingly" Or at least I say something like that. If you really want to learn, check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners