advise for big girl looking to run

Options
advise on how to start? what i need? how often??
i tried couch to 5 k but gave up quickly awhile ago

Replies

• MLibby84
    Options
    Well,
    you took the first step and probably didnt realize it. You sought out help :) I understand about the running part. I use to love running in my early and late teens but that kind of stopped after I met my husband and had a baby:) My husband has done the 5k and he liked it. Its hard for me to run as it is winter time( but i know thats not an excuse) I dont like running on a treadmill(i am afraid of falling lol) But i would say just take it one day at a time, start with walking and work your way up. Do you listen to music when u run? For me a great motivator is music and the type. Make sure you have good footwear if u dont that can hinder your motivation. in terms of how to start what are you looking for ? just making sure I am being helpful. I talked a little about what I do/did but im still new at this. I am hoping once I do more strenthening that it will help me to be able to run again.

Good luck!
  • melyhegedu
    melyhegedu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started couch 2 5K, and have repeated day one three times. Now I feel ready to do day two. I might do that a few times, too. It is easier to run after you have lost a few lbs. so don't worry. Go your own pace.
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K but eventually switched to using Run Keeper (app) for my outdoor runs. It gives you your pace and distance and I just try to up what I do each time I go out/weekly/whatever I've decided for that day/week. I'm running more on the treadmill now since it is cold and I up my time running each week. So, currently, I walk for 5 minutes, run for 17, walk for 5, run for 17, walk for 5. Next week, I'll up that to 18 or 19 minutes.

So my advice is just find something you like and try to improve on your endurance each week. For me I increase my endurance and then worry about my speed later.
  • pjthoops
    Options
    set a goal of walking at your own pace for 10 mins without stopping. Next time, either go longer or faster ( if you can track it on a treadmill ) in two weeks, you should be at 20 mins nonstop. Go for time and dont worry so much about your speed. Prolonged cardio exercise is proven to burn fat the best. Work you way up to atleast 30 mins of walking and progress to fast walking. If you jump right into trying to jog or run - it wont work. it wouldnt hurt to lift light weights to add some muscle which again is proven to burn fat for you. Just a few basic exercises with small hand weights can help alot! good luck...
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks great advise so far

I did a 5 k two years ago and I was last practically very discouraging did another and only goal was to not be last

And I wasn't but I still walked a lot of it

Really want to make this happen somehow
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts but I just wanted to say that if running isn't your thing don't try to force it. There is so much cardio you could do. I've lost 32 pounds since July and I've run for a total of 30 minutes if I'm lucky. I walk (a lot) and do strength training. By all means if you WANT to run do small increments and build yourself up (to advoid injury) but keep in mind you have other options. Much luck to you!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Someone's gotta be last!

I'm also looking to start running, but I think what I learned when I started doing krav maga is applicable here. Someone will always finish last. Someone will always be the newbie who doesn't know what they're doing and sucks at just about everything. The only person you should be competing against is yourself because if you get stuck on your fear of not being as good as everyone else, you will never improve.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I completed couch to 5K. I did it every other day ....Never missed a work out....and went at a slow pace...slow down your pace....like you are almost jogging at a fast walk pace. Stick to week one work out until you can do all the jogs...once you do...then move on to week two...Just stick with it. I would repeat the last day of a work out once I was able to jog the entire time....on a trail with inclines. It was harder, but seemed to make the next work out easier.

I had never ever jogged or ran before in my life...I am now jogging 2 miles a few times a week on the treadmill. I did get up to the 3 miles. After getting to my 3 miles, I have been working on getting my speed up...and some incline on the treadmill. I am doing the treadmill right now because outside it is dark before I can get to the trail. The treadmill is easier.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Simply start with run/walk intervals and gradually increase your total time. As you get comfortable, add time to your running intervals. Make sure you warm up well and cool down after and stretch after as well. Get a good pair of running shoes (at a store where they can evaluate your gait if possible). Just curious--what made you stop the C25K program? Was it pain, discouraged because you weren't improving or other. I know it's easier said then done, but don't let last place stop you. You are still beating everyone who's too lazy to try ;)
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do the leslie sansone 5 mile walking DVDs - burn stax of calories (I use a hrm) and no real risk of injury until some more weight comes off (your knees will thank you). She does some fast 12 minute mile walks and boosted timed walks (gentle jogging) and uses resistance bands on some of the dvds. One session while doing the gentle jogging I felt I just wanted to keep on jogging.

Now I am on week 5 of the ease into 10k running program. I credit the walking DVDs with getting me off the couch. Plus walking on the spot encourages mid foot strike and leslie teaches you to have good posture and pull your belly in when you walk. I notice these have carried over into my jogging /running.

I waited until I had less than 20kgs to before I attempted running. I don't want injuries. I still do the DVDs.
    Good luck with whatever you do
  • TighteningStrings
    Options
    My goal is to run a 10k in October. At the moment I'm not even running. I'm walking and swimming. I've done half the C25K before, but stopped due to sickness. Once I drop some weight, I'll start the C25K again. I figured it'd be nicer on my knees if I drop a few before I start trying to run!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    C25K is hard, but it is great and rewarding. I ran slow to start...12.5 minutes/mile. After finishing the program, I improved to about 11.5 minutes/mile. Depending on the day or the weather, I run a little faster or slower, but at least I'm doing it! You may be one of the last finishers in the race, but you're lapping everybody on the couch and THAT makes you accomplished because at least you're TRYING!

Definitely run outside if you can....it is far less boring and because it is harder, you get stronger. I will never be fast enough to finish first or even in the top....but I am proud of myself for doing it when every gym teacher I ever had in high school told me I was too lazy to ever be a runner.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Start slow and get a really good bra.
  • Madalynne
    Madalynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You could also pick a small distance, (such as a short route near home, a track, or simply a number on a treadmill).
    Run/Jog for a little bit and walk when you need to. Each time try to walk a little less and run/jog a little more than you did the time before.
    If you keep it up, you will eventually be able to run/jog the entire way! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be to either do Leslie Sansone videos of 3 miles of power walking or build yourself up to being able to walk 3 miles at about 4 mph (I use a treadmill most of the time due to inclement weather). Then start C25K. You will lose weight during the walking process, most likely and then the running will be easier, both because you are more conditioned and also because you are carrying less weight. I started the walking at 231 pounds and began hiking again around 205. Now am at about 190 and am working on building up to a 5K. Can currently run/walk 3 miles at about 5.2 mph running and 4 mph walking (mixed) and am running for 20 minutes straight.So I'm getting there regarding building up my endurance. my goal is to be able to run 3 miles at a 10 minute mile (6 mph) by May. But as they say, I had to walk before I could run!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    go back to c25k and don't give up. it's pretty simple.

((coming from someone who hadn't ever run, started intervals last year.... and then did a half marathon training program - but if you're giving up on c25k then you're gonna get nowhere - and now I've run two half marathons in the past couple months, and am in my next training program ONLY because I LIKE the LONG runs on the weekends with the group - using it as a jump start on training for tribal quest))

OH and someone else said it - slow down. run a very slow pace. this helps train your body to burn off fat as opposed to carbs. running is running, doesn't matter how fast you're going.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

The first point is worth reiterating: When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

If C25K wasn't for you, try walking fast for 30 minutes. After a 10-minute warm up, just jog really slowly for 30 seconds, then walk for as long as you need until you recover.

If after that you decide to give C25K a go, as others have said, repeat each week until you'd ready to move on.

If you like a good tale to distract you, I can't recommend the Zombie 5K training app (from the makers of Zombies, Run!) highly enough. The first week has running intervals of just 15 seconds, building to 30 in the second week, plus the story is really engaging to keep you going. As a runner of 15 years I'm using it to get my 5K speed up.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    And here's my article on coming last in races. I've done it, and it's not all bad!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Start slow and get a really good bra.

^^this!

Intervals really work. Walk to warm up, run until you're struggling, walk to recover, run again. Work at increasing your run intervals and decreasing your walk intervals. Same basic premise as C2K but I never stuck to the specified interval times - just listen to your body! Good luck!
  • martincsaint
    Options
    You've started on C25K. Give it another try. It's fantastic, once you get past the first couple of weeks. You can really see your progress. After about week 4 I just wanted to run and run.

Keep it up, you CAN do it.

Martin