Best running shoes for flat feet????

veggieheadie
veggieheadie Posts: 79
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm am starting a marathon training program next week. I haven't even started and I'm already having shin splints with just my regular daily workout. Does anyone have a good suggestion for really good shoes for women with flat feet?? I' ve gone through 3 pair in the last few months without finding a really good solution.

Replies

• I have extremely flat feet and they gave me so many problems! i'd recommend going to a running store where they look at your feet and watch you run. they do a good job of finding the perfect shoes for your feet and running form. if you don't have somewhere like that nearby, try the adidas supernova control. that's what i wear (and have worn for 4 years now!) and i've loved them. i still have shin problems occasionally, but these shoes help a lot!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Flat feet typically means you are an overpronator. You will want to look for a shoe with some stability control. I personally have enjoyed running in Ryka or New Balance shoes.

However, the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store and have them help you find a shoe for your running style, foot shape, and goals. There are shoes made for short distances and shoes made for long distances. :flowerforyou:
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    I'm a fellow flat footer... :laugh: :tongue: I bought some Asics last year that I loved :love: I'm running a little low on cash right now and those shoes are shot! So I put Dr Sholes inserts in my less supportive shoes. They are the ones with arch support. It's working so far for me. I also find doing calve raises helps the muscles in my feet, so in the long run I'm hoping this will help also.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    A co-worker of mine has flat feet and training for a 1/2 marathon. She has insoles for her shoes. I would also recomend going to a running store that can test your feet and get you in exactly the right combination of shoes/insoles.

Good Luck.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    However, the best thing you can do is go to a specialty running store and have them help you find a shoe for your running style, foot shape, and goals. There are shoes made for short distances and shoes made for long distances. :flowerforyou:
    I would also recomend going to a running store that can test your feet and get you in exactly the right combination of shoes/insoles.

These ladies are smart!!! :)
    Get yourself to a running store before you hurt your legs more! Most towns have one. Get shoes that fit perfectly, not shoes that look pretty. Running shoes are tools, not a fashion statement.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    I would also recomend going to a running store that can test your feet and get you in exactly the right combination of shoes/insoles.

These ladies are smart!!! :)
    Get yourself to a running store before you hurt your legs more! Most towns have one. Get shoes that fit perfectly, not shoes that look pretty. Running shoes are tools, not a fashion statement.

Aw, thanks! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.