Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not working out so far ... Why?

2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Sodium is a really big issue for me. After a few days of limiting sodium, my weight drops 2-5 pounds. All water weight obviously, not real fat loss.
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 89 Member
    If you use the road map plan, you do NOT eat back your calories. You just stick with the same number everyday. Your exercise is already factored in.

Yes, I understand that part of it at least -- LOL! I just don't know then if I should take my 20% cut from sedentary (TDDE = 1830-ish) or lighly active (TDEE =2100 ish). I have an office job, but I have trying to work out AT LEAST 3x per week plus I am pretty active with the kids on the weekends. I got a BMR of 1400. If i used sedentary, I would only be eating about 50-75 calories more than my BMR. That seems kind of low, no? If took the cut off my lighly active TDEE, I would get 1680.

LOL -- typing this out... I basically think I am eating too much now. Maybe I need to follow the roadmap and eat 1450 on days I do not work out and more like 1650-1700 on days I work out. But then again, I do like eating back excercise calories. It motivates me. Maybe I should just get the HRM to make sure it is accurate.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I would try netting closer to your BMR if you're going to be eating your exercise calories back. 1400 might be too low so I'd go with 1500. And like others said above, give it another week or two to know it's really working. We think our body should respond immediately because that's what we hear on weight loss commecials and reality tv but it just doesn't work like that for most of us.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    My two cents is that I don't think you need to eat less, I think you need to give it a few more weeks

Any time you dramatically change your daily routine, your weight is going to freak out (could go up, could go down). After a few weeks you will start to see if your new routine is actually working for you or not.

I've lost weight eating around 1600 calories on days when I don't exercise, and I eat more than that when I do exercise. After one single week the lesson isn't to dramatically cut your calories, it's just to learn a little bit about needing more patience. How long did it take you put on the weight? It's not going to come off immediately. Good luck! :)
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 89 Member
    My two cents is that I don't think you need to eat less, I think you need to give it a few more weeks

Any time you dramatically change your daily routine, your weight is going to freak out (could go up, could go down). After a few weeks you will start to see if your new routine is actually working for you or not.

I've lost weight eating around 1600 calories on days when I don't exercise, and I eat more than that when I do exercise. After one single week the lesson isn't to dramatically cut your calories, it's just to learn a little bit about needing more patience. How long did it take you put on the weight? It's not going to come off immediately. Good luck! :)

Thanks Prokomds! Although you're 25 - LOL. I'm pushing 39 :-). Still, point taken that changing the calories is probably not as important right now as just keeping on this new path. It is a marathon, not a sprint. I think I'm going to keep netting int he 1500-1600ish range until the end of January and then re-evaluate. The sodium . I am going to watch right away. I am OK at breakfast and dinner and snacks, but terrible at lunch. I rely on lean cuisines and such and they have a lot of salt.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    What does it mean when you aren't seeing any progress "really"? To me, that sounds like have seen some movement, just not as much as you expected. I would say to manage your expectations. It's hard to do, but don't expect to lose 2 or 3 or 5 pounds per week. If you're losing even 1/2 a pound per week, you're doing something right.