Anyone like me and...

Options
mom2pne
mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
put down more than what you actually do eat in your food log? I have been just calculating what I will eat and putting that down, but I know I am eating less than that. For instance, I put down that I had a 5oz chicken breast when I only ate a quarter of it and Ruffles and dip I put I had a full serving even though I had 2 small chips and they barely had even a trace of dip on each one. But it does help me not to overeat when I see my calories going up and up.

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I often pre-log, especially my dinner, but if the quantity that I actually eat changes I adjust it so I am more accurate. If over stating helps you and you are still eating enough then great.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It probably won't hurt you now, but as you get closer to a healthy weight and every calorie matters, you should really try to log more accurately. That said, I usually try to overestimate food and underestimate exercise.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It is good in a way, you just need to watch so you aren't eating so little it is actually a detriment :)
    Good luck to you!!
  • kimberleymk25
    Options
    If you don't eat enough you won't lose weight. This is the 1st time I have tracked my food (I'm 40) & decided to be totally honest b/c I would only be cheating myself. So today I went over on my calories but I'm not going to worry about it b/c I'm figuring out how I'm eating. Sometimes the portions on here are a little off from what my labels say so I try to adjust accordingly. good luck!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with "just the facts ma'am" and be as accurate as I can.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did that a lot in the beginning (every once in awhile still cuz I get "paranoid" lol). Anymore though I try to get it as exact as I can, cuz I want to be able to eat every calorie that I can haha.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If I don't measure my food properly I may over-estimate. Usually I measure or have a good idea that I'm accurate
  • kimberleymk25
    Options
    haha...agreed!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I also prelog, sometimes even at midnight before I go to sleep, so I have all it in there (and I try to be leanient with certain things and strict with others, like worse things for me I'll only put in 3 or 4 oz or 1/2 a serving or something in hopes I'll actually only eat that much, later I might adjust if I eat more or less). It's bad to overlog though because then you won't be getting enough calories, unless you're going over calories, But just log what you think you will eat, like if you have the chips and dip out in a bowl and you're planning on having it all, log that, and then if you only have 2 chips and a tiny bit of dip, adjust it.

And also be careful with servings of meat and stuff if you don't have a food scale, it's easy to underestimate how much you eat. So you might have 1 normal serving, and have only 1/2 of it, it might still be a full 4 oz as what a lot of people think is a normal portion is bigger than it should be
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I will often pre-log as well, but I correct whatever I end up changing if I change anything. For instance, if I have a snack tonight, I will add it. If I had logged a protein shake for bedtime, and decided to eat food after work, I will delete the shake and add the food....
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I would try and be as accurate as I can. I wait to eat and log it later and that helps. Two hours after breakfast I log it and do the same for lunch and dinner. It helps by going to the gym on every weekday that way I can have a range on what I eat.......
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's a tracker so I'd say use it as one. Use it as an objective tool. If you make large over-calculations, then you are getting inaccurate data to review/act upon.

I'll over-estimate slightly if I did not get a chance to weigh my food and end up "guessing" at how much that chicken breast weighed. But no eating 2 bites of somethng and logging the whole thing.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Like some of the others said it is a great idea to pre-log what you expect to eat but if you end up eating less of it or even more of it then you really do need to adjust it. If you don't keep track of exactly what you have then you won't know what worked or didn't if you go to look back in the future plus you could be causing health issues and plateaus.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that? For me, MFP is a tool to track what I actually DO eat and help me to see where I am successful, where I'm failing and to just support better habits. If I log different quantities of foods than what I'm actually eating, why bother? And how do you keep on top of your nutritional stats if you're not really eating what you log? -- Sorry, I just don't get it. But if it's working for you, more power to you, sister!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no!!!!
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Mmmmkay...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why would you lie to yourself? Unless your not alone in there...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I overestimate most things other than peanut butter
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I'll overestimate when I'm not sure. But I don't do it as a general rule.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    put down more than what you actually do eat in your food log? I have been just calculating what I will eat and putting that down, but I know I am eating less than that. For instance, I put down that I had a 5oz chicken breast when I only ate a quarter of it and Ruffles and dip I put I had a full serving even though I had 2 small chips and they barely had even a trace of dip on each one. But it does help me not to overeat when I see my calories going up and up.

um no....the purpose of logging is to track accurately......over or under.....so you can see how it affects your body. not to sound harsh, but why bother logging if you aren't going to do it right. I can understand estimating with a measuring cup because you don't have a food scale but what you describe....no......just no.