Over 50 with 100-plus pounds to lose?

harborgirl
harborgirl Posts: 33
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, I'm new here, 55 years old and a whopping 180 pounds over goal weight. This website looks wonderful. I plan to begin working on my new healthy lifestyle tomorrow, and need to head out tonight to do some preparatory food shopping.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a lot to lose or has lost a lot, especially folks in my age group. Would be especially interested in hearing what kinds of foods you eat on a regular basis, since I often wander around the grocery store feeling like I'm not sure what to buy. I know I should eat more vegetables, but I get them home and they end up going bad because I don't have a plan for using them, so I guess I need to get some recipes or ideas.

Also would be interested to hear from those folks that are very overweight, as I am, about whether or not you're attempting to exercise or just aiming to move around a bit more till you've lost some. I find walking for more than a couple of blocks pretty hard on my joints at this point. Fortunately it's spring and I'll be doing some yardwork, so that's something.

Thanks much.

Replies

• chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Well, welcome to MFP!! Haven't back long myself. My goal total was 90lbs. I had already lost a about 22 or so before I came back to the site on a more regular basis. I still have a good ways to go. I will be 50 in about a month. Be encouraged!
  • rnsam
    rnsam Posts: 1
    Hi, like you I am struggling with a lot of weight to lose. I will be good with 80 ish. I have actually been going to Jenny Craig. It's good for me as I live alone, work really long hours etc. I have lost 25 but have been stuck for months. I go off program as I get bored and then eat crap. My JC counsellor told me to buy my fruit and veg already cut up....I never did this as it is so much more expensive. What I was doing, like you, was buying all the veggies and then they would rot. I am doing much better as they are all ready for me in the fridge so when I want to snack, voila. And because they are already prepared they are not going to waste any more. Now with JC and this site I seem to be back on track.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.