Protein Brownies

Options
L14nDv
L14nDv Posts: 33 Member
So I've been having cravings for something sweet and decided to look up healthy recipes using protein powder. I came across this recipe for protein powder brownies and made them last week.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Protein-Powder-Brownies-Recipezaar

They were VERY dry and I was a little disappointed. I felt like the basic ingredients were right so I have tinkered with the quantities a little and added a banana to the mix for moisture.
I have made these today and I can confirm they are delicious! I have used brown sugar as its all I had but you could obviously substitute for a sweetener such as stevia. I also added a table spoon of honey but thats because I have so much of it I want to use it up, so optional extra.
So here is my recipe:

2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 cup oats
2 scoops protein powder (I used chocolate but vanilla works well)
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar (or use sweetener)
2 tbsp cocoa
1 banana
1/4 cup water

I literally threw all of these ingredients into the food processor/blender and mixed them up. I put them into a WELL GREASED tin (oats stick to the pan like glues!)
Bake at 350 for 20 mins!

Yum!

I had some spare mixture left and added it to cupcake pans, this also worked well, I placed a date into the centre and it gave them a gooey middle! So delicious!

Replies

• rebound1
    Options
    Bump
  • smileyyogini
    Options
    I can eat all of that! (sweetner, not sugar)...I am SO going to try it. Thank you!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bumpety
  • luv2bfitandhealthy
    luv2bfitandhealthy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump, yum!
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yum...sounds great. Do you have any idea how many servings the recipe makes and the caloric content of each serving?
    Thanks, g
  • Missyann68
    Missyann68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    this sounds delicious!

i had a recipe for brownies that incorporated pureed black beans. it was good too.

if the whole oats stick to the pan, would it be better to pulse the oats in the food processor until they were powdery, and then add the other ingredients?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Today_BBD
    Options
    Cool....remember apple sauce can replace fat or oil in most recipes and it really helps with moisture so it might be a good add..
  • Today_BBD
    Options
    Remember Pals you can run the recipe through this MFP TOOL and get your calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump! sounds good. Anyone know what I could replace for oats? I don't have any.
  • Today_BBD
    Options
    Remember Pals you can run the recipe through this MFP TOOL and get your calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • Today_BBD
    Options
    Do you have any ready to eat cereal?

Maybe Cheeios .....I use Fiber one cereal often to add fiber content to something I am baking...1/2 c has 60 calories and 14 g. of fiber...but you will need to add water and let it absorb the moisture before adding to your batter.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Were these quick/1min oats?
  • tutti777
    Options
    Bump...Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!!! i must eat gluten free so these will be awesome when i am craving a brownie :)
  • L14nDv
    Options
    Hi guys glad you like it. I ran it through the recipe calculator and here is what it came out with

Serves 10
    The results WITH SUGAR were as follows:
    Per Serving 106 cals, 16 Carbs, 2 Fat, 10 Protein, 2 Fiber, 7 sugar.

You can obviously leave the sugar out and replace with sweetener giving you a lower result!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • L14nDv
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to add that I have now added this recipe ( sugar version) to the database as"Homemade Protein Powder Banana Chocolate Brownies" so you can easily add it to your diary if you use it.
    For the person asking about oats I just used normal oats but instant ones might work, give it a try.
  • L14nDv
    Options
    Just tried this recipe with strawberry protein powder and 2 bananas and it is to die for!! Makes amazing little cup cakes!