OMG ARE THEY SERIOUS????

Options
So my sister went to this weight loss clinic and they gave her a diet to follow. They must be insane let me know what you think of it. WOW

allowed 10 servings per a day. A serving equals 1 oz
lean proteins poultry, some fish fat free cheese or cottage cheese, shellfish misc egg whites, substitutes

SO basiclly at the end of the day you are eating around 350 calories WTF are they thinking. They also give her b12/b6 shots and some diet pills. They say you have to drink 128 oz of of fluid each day and 64 of those MUST be water. Im going to try and upload this diet and please share with me your thoughts. Now she is all about it because she has lost 50 pounds in 3 months well no kidding you are not eating!!

PART 1 the first few days until you hit ketosis
IMG_0001.jpg

PART 2 from there on after life change
IMG_0002.jpg

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's insane. I went to a weight loss clinic once and they put me on a 500 calorie diet. I dropped like 30 pounds in two months. But...guess what happened after I stopped going? I gained it all back of course. I would rather just make a healthy lifestyle change than do fad diets.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm scared!:noway:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That is truely crazy!!! Is she really going to follow this?? If so, tell her to talk to her doctor about it first. These kinds of extreme diets can cause all sorts of health problems. Here's an article I read on CNN a few months back.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/12/15/very.low.calorie.diets/index.html?iref=storysearch
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    it's insane to think that those people are actually considered "professionals."
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Dr. B's diet. Yeah those medical professionals are not at all any kind of respectible nurse you would find in a hospital or anywhere like that im pretty sure those nurses are trained by the Dr. B company no other registered licencing association.

I would obiviously advice against doing this.
  • MommyDaisy76
    MommyDaisy76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Holy Cats!!! :noway: that is insane!!!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Really? I wouldn't trust any diet that told me that I couldn't eat fruits or veggies. What the hell? I mean that's basic nutrition. Since when do weight loss clinics teach you to be anorexic? This is incredibly unhealthy. She should see a licensed dietician, not a loss clinic. My SIL is a dietician and the first thing she told me when I was eating about 1000 calories a day at the beginning of this was EAT MORE.

This should be criminal to offer as medical advice.
  • rosysilhouette
    Options
    how are they not constantly starving?? i couldn't survive with that, i'd end up snacking on everything in sight as soon as i was hungry
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    That sounds extreme. Nothing but protein for 2-4 days, she must have just about died of hunger, poor thing.

What about exercise? Is she doing any exercise? She must be dying.

I am eating something similar to the maintenance, but a little different.

I eat every 3 hours for 5 meals a day. I eat approx 25g of protein [4ishoz] each meal with 1C of veggies. No fruit. I get 1/2C carbs at bfast and lunch and 2 times for dinner a week. I have a list of carbs, proteins, and veggies I can eat. Oh, and 100oz of water a day.

I am struggling with this diet not for the selections but I am hungry all the time, it is getting better the longer I do it. Oh, and I am doing 1hr of cardio a day. I am not sure for how long before I get fruit back, maybe three weeks. Eating every 3 hours is the key to this, you cannot succeed eating like that if you don't eat every 3 hours. Do they have her on a time table for meals?

Congrations to your sister. I can't believe she has made it this far, 50lbs!!!!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ketosis is not healthy. Ketones show up in your urine when you're diabetic!! Not to say this diet will make a person diabetic I'm saying ketones are indicative that there is something wrong!!
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i would be sooooooo hungry if i had to do that, i woulda took one look at that and said fu*k this!!!! lol
  • gummibaehr
    gummibaehr Posts: 143
    Options
    I feel sick just reading that! :-( How utterly horrible! There should be a disclaimer that says:

WARNING! You will gain back all the weight you lose on this diet and then some when you start eating like a normal human being again.
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    I agree, ketosis isnt healthy. Not only does it show up in your urine, it shuts down your liver function (thus why it shows up in your urine) as your body breaks down muscle tissue. Funny how they forgot to mention that when they say you absolutely have to hit ketosis.

The part they forgot to tell you was that yeah you lost a lot of weight fast, your sister may have lost 50lbs in 3 months, but of that 50lbs, approximately 25-30% was muscle that was broken down - so 15lbs was lean tissue thats now gone.

Then when you stop dieting like that, you begin to gain weight, and its not muscle that you gain...it's all fat since your body is in starvation mode. So say you gain back those 50lbs (usually you gain back more than what you lost but just as an example), you now actually have 15 pounds more fat on your body than you did when you started...sounds like a great way to keep people coming back to their clinics doesnt it...
  • heathyr
    heathyr Posts: 12
    Options
    my step mom went on this diet, she lost lots of weight and fast. i think she will gain it all back, and more. i hope she doesn't but we will see.
  • KristinaL
    KristinaL Posts: 41
    Options
    OMG!!!! This is insane... I mean ppl will do the diet cause they lose a tremendous amount of weight but its not safe at all!!! Well I hope all goes well with your sister!!!
  • kevcar0603
    kevcar0603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have gone on this diet and lost the weight. I agree that you do drop pounds fast, but you are bound to gain it back. It just does not seem healthy. :(
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Years ago, when I was a teenager, there was a place called the Weight Loss Clinic :devil: that put you on a 500-800 calorie diet, gave you vitamins and made you drink lots of water. They failed their clients. Miserably. Went out of business and I believe I heard they got their fake white-coated @sses sued :laugh: . This sounds very similar. I went on it long enough to completely screw up my metabolism :angry: . At 16 and 155 lbs., that's the last place I should have been. It was shortly after undergoing that particular diet torture I found I could gain weight eating 1400 calories a day. It was downhill from there.

Thank God I'm older, wiser and no longer desperate to be beautiful. Now it's all about good health and no matter how you slice it, that diet is not healthy. Remember tho', you can't tell a Heinz pickle nuthin'. Everyone has to try their own way. Everyone has to go down their own road. I'm all for self-experimentation. My current rationale involves the firm belief that I have to switch 'survival modes'. In other words, instead of the primal survival centre of my mind thinking I'm in danger of starving [and convincing my conscious mind that I have to eat and conserve energy to survive], I have to convince it, consciously, that the greater risk is not being able to avoid being eaten - I'm trying to get it to believe I must now be able to run...FAST! How? Exercise. Every day. 1700-1800 net calories a day. Down 13 pounds since around Jan 17. Seems to be
    working. Search my name on this site - Hollycat - for more details on this theory. Credit for the theory goes to Jon Gabriel.

I also learned a lot from and got a lot out of the Food Lovers Fat Loss System [FLFLS]. Hokey name, good, rational system. I'm following it in general by keeping to the basics, while avoiding getting legalistic about it, and still listen to their CD's and stuff. Logging food is one of the things they recommend most. SO glad I found this site! I've wasted a lot of money over the years on money-making diet schemes and diet centres - Nutrisystem, WW's, Scarsdale, low-carb [although I really liked living la vida low carb - I felt terrific!], books, machines, hypnosis, etc. However, two systems - Jon Gabriel and FLFLS really have something realistic going on. At least, they rang true for me. Anyhoo, I avoid drastic, unsustainable measures. They just made me feel like a failure and since I already erroneously felt like that most of my adult life, because of the extra weight I carry TO SURVIVE, why would I do anything to make myself feel worse and perpetuate the lie?

Hollycat :flowerforyou:
  • dawguw2010
    Options
    This is way too extreme! Sounds like an extreme version of South Beach, actually. On that, you eat no carbs (grains or fruits or starchy veggies) for two weeks. Then you have to add them back in one at a time. They also want you to limit your fats from cheese or nuts, and control your portion sizes. You'll lose about 4 pounds the first week if you're lower weight, 6-8 if you have a lot of weight to lose. It works ok and it is relatively healthy and if you have the books they make a point of discussing lifestyle, mindset, and exercise. I have done it a few times, but stopped doing it because during the first two weeks I get stomach aches, headaches, dizziness, and just generally feel icky. My body doesn't like the lack of carbs, and with as much protein as I was eating, I would be full on about 900 calories a day. Which is probably where the weight loss came from.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so let me start this off by saying, I HATE THIS DIET. I think it is completely wrong headed and just plain bad news.

BUT

for all of you that are killing ketosis, I disagree.

Let me explain before you go bezerk.

The basic premise of a ver low carbohydrate diet is ketosis, which is DIFFERENT from ketogenisys. You should, before you scream about ketosis, probably look up the difference.

NOW, with that said, ketosis is NOT something you do to lose weight, it's a perfectly valid form of lifestyle management that, if done correctly, is a way to stay healthy for many people who don't have the luxury of high carb diets. I'm not one of them, I can do 50% carbs without issue, but some people (specifically diabetics, people with epilepsy...etc.) can't.

And for the record, ketogenic diets don't hurt the liver per say, there's no proof of that one way or the other, what they do do is make the liver work relatively hard, which is fine if you have a healthy liver, but can be dangerous if you don't. It does put extra stress on the kidneys though, which is something to take note of, and speak to your doctor about.

this all being said, a very low carb diet isn't something you should just decide to do one day, it should be a decision weighed very thoroughly and discussed with family members and your doctor. Because it will completely change your life. For instance, meals are completely changed, the types of exercises you do will change, and you will have to closely monitor your fluid intake and electrolytes as this kind of diet can severely dehydrate you if you aren't careful.

So this means that there are good reasons to go on very low carb, but none of them should include the idea of "losing weight" because that's not what it's designed for, and really, other than water weight and glucose, your really don't lose weight any faster on ketosis than you do on a regular, calorie restrictive diet.

Hey I was one of you guys once, the thought of really low carbs set off giant alarm bells in my head too, but it's not an evil program by design, it's just misrepresented as a weight loss strategy, where it should actually be used as a medical treatment for specific conditions.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Have a friend that was doing this, lost 50 pounds in 3 months. The doctors told her NOT to exercise.

I think it's insane. I would die with only 500 calories a day. Hell no. I'll take my 1500 thank you.