Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss + Exercise...?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Remember that fat doesn't magically go away, exercise is needed to burn it. Without burning fat, you can lose weight, but you still retain the fat you had, and its in a smaller body.
    Not true. Weight loss purely from caloric deficit will be a combination of fat and lean body mass. Exercise (especially strength training, along with adequate protein intake) helps spare lean body mass while the fat is lost, but you will still lose some degree of muscle/LBM along with the fat (albeit a smaller percentage than from losing the weight by diet only).

To answer the OP's question: Exercise has health benefits. Cardio training helps increase your cardiovascular fitness (fittingly enough!) and also creates more of a calorie deficit (which you should fill, at least in part, by eating some of the exercise calories back). Strength training helps maintain muscle mass so that when you arrive at your goal weight you don't have the "skinny fat" look - slender, but with high levels of body fat and no muscular definition.

^^this
  • triliana
    triliana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I exercise because it keeps me from not being depressed. 1200 kcal a day is really not a lot, especially if you are used to 2000-2500 or more a day. That's a huge change to make and I have not dealt with it well in the past. Exercise helps me to feel better, plus it will raise metabolism (which is kind of the point) and it helps me to have less pain as well. It's a benefit in itself.

If you hate your exercise, you're doing the wrong one. Go do something you enjoy - walking, jogging, dancing (yes, clubbing counts as exercise; just watch the alcohol calories or be the DD), tennis, swimming, whatever. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A GYM RAT. I actually enjoy the gym. I get on an elliptical or bike or treadmill, put on my headphones, and in my head, i'm the biggest bad*** ever. I use the BeatBurn apps to get a varied workout. Would like to start with weights again but am going to wait a bit until the resolutioners clear out so I'm not stressed by it. I'm already getting strength in via yoga and moving heavy stuff in my apartment.

We're meant to move. More movement = more happy.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, to lose weight with MFP you do not have to exercise, I don't think it said that anywhere. You put in how many workouts and for how long you will do each week, and it adjusts your calories to that because it's factoring in the approximate amount of calories burned. So if you put that you would work out every day, and then you never work out, but you don't eat over your calories, you'll probably still lose weight, but if you put 1 lb a week maybe you'd like .2 or .5 lbs, not a full pound. But you will lose weight in the form of fat and muscle and will ultimately be "skinny fat" so you'll look great with clothes on, but in a bathing suit everything will be flabby and soft. and you won't really be healthy unless you already live a very active lifestyle like have a very active job and are constantly chasing kids around and stuff then you'll probably still be healthy without extra working out. You can do what you want, just make sure you adjust your profile to this accordingly.

But yes exercise can help speed up weight loss if you end up with a net a little lower than what they sugest (which could be bad or could be fine) and it'll help you tone and build muscle and look better but is not required for weight loss as in loss of pounds, and a low weight doesn't equal a healthy person
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I know that I do not eat back my calories from exercise, i just eat my original 1200 a day.

then you will lose weight to a point quickly and then will stop and probably gain weight
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yeah, to lose weight with MFP you do not have to exercise, I don't think it said that anywhere. You put in how many workouts and for how long you will do each week, and it adjusts your calories to that because it's factoring in the approximate amount of calories burned. So if you put that you would work out every day, and then you never work out, but you don't eat over your calories, you'll probably still lose weight, but if you put 1 lb a week maybe you'd like .2 or .5 lbs, not a full pound. But you will lose weight in the form of fat and muscle and will ultimately be "skinny fat" so you'll look great with clothes on, but in a bathing suit everything will be flabby and soft. and you won't really be healthy unless you already live a very active lifestyle like have a very active job and are constantly chasing kids around and stuff then you'll probably still be healthy without extra working out. You can do what you want, just make sure you adjust your profile to this accordingly.

But yes exercise can help speed up weight loss if you end up with a net a little lower than what they sugest (which could be bad or could be fine) and it'll help you tone and build muscle and look better but is not required for weight loss as in loss of pounds, and a low weight doesn't equal a healthy person
    The bolded part is completely incorrect. When you set up your goals, MFP does not factor in the amount of calories you plan on burning. The exercise goals are just there to help you stick to your fitness plan.

So, if you have your deficit set to lose a 1 lb a week, and you don't stick to your fitness goals, but you stick to your calorie goals, you should theoretically lose 1 lb a week.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've thought about that, too. But, it is good for building muscle and has other health benefits. Also, the more you burn, the more you can eat! ...not that I've thought of it like that ...*shifty eyes*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Because health isn't just about weight.

And though one can just lose weight with calorie deficit alone, without exercise some of that weight will be lean muscle tissue making one weaker and slowing metabolic rate.

There are lots of lean people out there who don't exercise and aren't healthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You may have read it wrong - unless you exercise, the fat in your body does not decrease.
    No, I read it right. You're incorrect. Weight loss as a result of caloric deficit alone (without exercise) will be a combination of fat and lean body mass.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Remember that fat doesn't magically go away, exercise is needed to burn it. Without burning fat, you can lose weight, but you still retain the fat you had, and its in a smaller body.

Just "no"....

You may have read it wrong - unless you exercise, the fat in your body does not decrease.

and also....."no".
  • acowcill
    Options
    I don't count my extra calories, aim to hit the 1300cal mark each day regardless. Exercise has a million and one other health benefits though then just as a "weight loss tool"
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    lllliiiinnnnz wrote:
    And if you don't eat all of the extracalories from exercise you'll lose weight even faster.
    That said, is it even safe for someone consuming the minimum required calories (1,200/day) to NOT "eat back" their exercise calories? Aren't any calories below the baseline too few calories?

(I appreciate your explanations, BTW, I'm still rather new at this, and my mother newer still.)

Second part in particular interests me, from what I am told it is vital to be sure to eat enough, not to leave huge deficit!
    I am also new and learning so value advice greatly!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

No offense, but I think you have your wires crossed. My weight loss has been mainly thru diet and portion control. I haven't done much exercising because of orthopedic issues. I have lost 44 lbs. and at least 20 inches over my whole body. It ain't muscle I've lost! Because of all of the fat I've lost, I am beginning to uncover some of my muscles though, seeing some muscle definition coming back!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Just "no"....

and also....."no".

Yes! to what she said.