Confused!

Options
I was told today, that I should have 1400 caloirie and that my carbs set at 50% fat at 30% and protein at 20% ..I am 261# and have over 100#s to lose does this sound right...when I went onto MPF goal to see what it was set at it was set more.. and has me at 1500 calories. I dont want to mess anything up..can anyone please tell me how to really figure this out or what to base it on..I even tryed to google it and went on a few diffrent sites to come up with 4 sets of diffrent numbers there..Now I am so confused and dont know what to do...Please help me!!

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I would start off as high as you possibly can. If you lose weight on 1500 then definitely start there, because with that much weight to lose you'll need room to lower your intake later during plateaus. I personally started out at a solid 2000, now five months later I've worked down to 1400.
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    i have wondered the same thing in the past. This time around, I decided to check with the multiple sites that I have belonged to. When most of them came back in the same range as MFP, I decided to trust MFP. MFP has me set at 1730 and I am 249. I figure if I am losing at an acceptable and healthy pace, I will stick with it. I think that's the only thing you can do. Decide which calorie goal is realistic for you and your activity level and start with it. If you are losing, stick with it.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Did a doctor or nutritionist tel you this? If yes, then follow their guidelines. If no, I would go with what MFP tells you and adjust later if needed.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are (or if it matters) but I'm very close to your same weight. MFP had me set at 1410. I've been exercising every day for 15-20 min and eating most of my exercise calories, putting me around 1600-1800 cals/day depending on how much I had exercised. I lost 6 pounds first week. I even had a cheat day in there, and I attended a b-day party and had cake and an unexpected couple slices of pizza :devil:

I changed up my goals a little and it dropped my cals to 1370. Still exercising and still eating most of my exercise cals back. I intend to do this until I hit a plateau, then I may play around with not eating the extra exercise cals and/or increasing exercise.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I would start off as high as you possibly can. If you lose weight on 1500 then definitely start there, because with that much weight to lose you'll need room to lower your intake later during plateaus. I personally started out at a solid 2000, now five months later I've worked down to 1400.

Totally agree with this :smile: