Calorie burn lower than expected

Options
2»

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I just purchased a Timex HRM this weekend. My monitor says I am burning more than what the machines indicate. This has been a subject of concern for me this week.

My HRM says I always burn more than the machine. I would trust the HRM because you are able to input your sex, age, weight and fitness level into it.....machines you can't do that so you get a rough estimate.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    Azdak, thank you once again for providing that information. The way you explained it now makes SO much sense to me. I can't possibly describe the levels of frustration I have been at watching my calorie burns on my HRM decrease as I get fitter and fitter...and how I've felt that some of my favorite workouts are no longer 'effective' because I'm not burning as many calories. Thank you for describing what is going.

Like PJilly, I have constantly been adjusting my caloric intake down. It has been very frustrating to think that the more fit I get, the less I need to eat!! I have been feeling for a couple of months that eating less is having a very adverse effect on both my workouts AND my weight (even though I'm maintaining within five pounds). I have been hungry all of the time, and I show it in my mood/demeanor. I've been telling myself that I need to eat more, but that's hard to do when staring at a hard number on a HRM. In other words, I convinced myself to trust my HRM over my body because I am prone to over-eating (hence why I'm on MFP) and felt I was just looking for excuses to eat more. Based on your posts, I finally feel free to eat again....not over-eat, but eat what I think is appropriate given my level of activity (I workout twice a day very intensely). So....thank you!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you, SW, for the kind words. I am glad you found the information useful.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you, Azdak, for taking the time to give such a thoughtful explanation. I love understanding why things work the way they do, and that all made so much sense. I really appreciate it!
  • thebatacs
    thebatacs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg and that is quite a bit lower than the MFP numbers as well. Awesome question!! And womderful responses as well! Thanks for all the great information.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have the f6 and mine is pretty close, within a few calories to MFP. However, in relation to your question Jill, I find i burn 30-60 more calories doing a workout if I drink a 1/2 caf mocha before hand, then doing he same workout with a decaf. My heart pounds from a 1/2 calf (I don't normally drink caffeine) so I could see having low blood pressure effecting the reading on the HRM.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later....