BMI Help?

Options
Can someone please help...

Im currently 196 lbs and my weight before i was pregnant was 140 lbs. This is where i looked slim, felt great etc.

Im 5ft 1 and have just done my BMI which is 37 :( but anyway. I thought about what i should be. According to the height / weight chart for my height i should be between 98 lbs and 130 lbs. I know its only 10 lbs but this just makes me feel awful that even If i get to MY ideal weight, if i go to the docs etc im still going to be classed as overweight! I have been around 112 lbs before and i look awful! Hence why i choose a target weight where i was satisfied.

I have a picture of me at 140 lbs which shows how "good" i look. Glowing, not fat not stick thin!

Does this mean i now need to aim for 130 lbs? I know BMI doesn’t take into consideration your physical make up i.e broad muscle etc but the docs don’t care. Every time i go i get told to lose weight (which infuriates me by the way as i know people who are easily twice the size of me and nothing ever gets said to them!). Im currently on the Obese register as i seen it on the docs screen the last time i went. So even if i do lose weight there never going to be happy.

Before i had my daughter i was 136.5 lbs. And i always got told that i was starting to look a bit thin.......GGGGGRRRRR on another note because my BMI is 37 i may not have to do the step challenge at my fitnut challenge as im too big! WTF you think i was an elephant or something!

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel good screw the numbers. As long as you're closeish it's most likely not going to affect you in any way.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Go by body fat % instead
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Using a BMI calculator can be extremely inaccurate. Take a body builder w/next to no fat, yet lots of muscle mass. It could classify the body builder as overweight. You have to take into account % of body fat.
    Here is a quick link to a site that has an article on it being out of date.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401129/Is-the-BMI-Outdated.html
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    ok silly question but how do you measure body fat %?
  • stacimusmax
    Options
    I love google...here is a calculator to use

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • stacimusmax
    Options
    Scary as it is....here are my results....

Body Mass Index: 32.5 kg/m2

Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.52

Percent Body Fat: 38.4%

Lean Body Mass: 123.7 lb

You are overweight by 21.4 kilograms (47.1 pounds)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ok silly question but how do you measure body fat %?

Calipers are the most accurate way of measuring apparently. I bought a set online for very cheap. I can't remember what site I bought them from but I'm sure if you google it, you'll find somewhere that sells them.

Calipers are a little measuring device that you use to 'pinch' the skin on your lower abs and it measures it that way.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options

My advice to you would be to break those 47 pounds into smaller goals of, say, 5-10 pounds. It's more motivating that way and you're less likely to give up. Plan little (non-food) rewards for each 10 lbs you lose.

You can do this!!!
  • stacimusmax
    Options

My advice to you would be to break those 47 pounds into smaller goals of, say, 5-10 pounds. It's more motivating that way and you're less likely to give up. Plan little (non-food) rewards for each 10 lbs you lose.

You can do this!!!

thanks for the encouragement. I am not being unrealistic, slow and steady wins