5'5"? Realistic Weight goal? Don't need to be size 0....

Options
I'm 42...5'5"......always had to work at being thin, but have let my eating get out of control the last few years. I'm a stress eater! Eat when I'm happy, sad, depressed, etc....lol. Oh and I'm currently at (gulp) 216 lbs......size 16. As I look through other posts, I'm amazed how many people want to be in single digit sizes. While I wouldn't hate that, I don't, honestly, feel the need to get my high school body back. Thinking I start with a goal of 30-40 lbs, maintain, see how I feel and re-evaluate. I'd be thrilled to end up a size 10. Am I underachieving here??? ...I was 160 years back and felt like a super model. Lol. I have a medium-heavy frame. And I want to be able to maintain once I get there......anyone else in the same boat? Maybe I've just been curvy too long and my perspective is skewed....

Replies

• RobynMcGregor
    Options
    I don't think you are being unrealistic, everybody is different you and your body know when you are at the best weight for you. I set a target goal but will reassess as I go as the more I drop the less there is to pad out the wrinkles :-)
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    41....5'6"......201lbs.....and squeezing myself into my size 12 jeans.

I am lucky that when I gain weight, it distributes evenly. My profile picture (and all but 1 of the others) was taken when I was a 159lbs about a year ago. I think I looked good and was happy at that weight. At that time, I was an 8-10. I don't think there is a magic number when it comes to weight/size. I just want to be happy and feel good in my skin....whatever number that comes out to :)
  • scarlet_afire
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and honestly, I have absolutely no interest in being smaller than a size 10. I've got broad shoulders and wide hips and TBH, I like having curves and being a little soft. As long as I am healthy and happy, the "ideal" size can McBlow me.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started off at 224, currently at 204 and want to get down to around 160 which I have never been in my life
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're being an underachiever for your weight loss goal. Many of people may have goals to reach single digits but that can be daunting if they aren't patient and working towards those goals.

Your perpective isn't skewed at all and good luck!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Im about 5'5 and my goal is 170 - 160. I started at 255.
  • feelbetternow2013
    Options
    I am 5'5" also and weigh 228lbs. From what I understand, it is based on wt/ht/body frame and age. Personally, I also feel it's the weight you feel comfortable with, since if it does not feel right, you will have difficulty maintaining in. I weighed 135 in high school but I'll probably never see that again. I'd love to get down to 150 which will take some time. Good luck losing weight.:smile:
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you should concentrate on yourself not what others are doing. if your goal makes you happy then that's all that matters....good luck.
  • wanttobehealthy6
    wanttobehealthy6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 43 - 5'5" - and started at 205 pounds - and was in a 16. At the beginning, I really had no idea what my goal 'could' be. I had been so unsucessful that the thought of dreaming of a goal brought on a ton of fear in me.

I met with a dietician - I wanted to be healthy (which, I wasn't). I wanted my body fat lowered, including my visceral fat - I wanted all of my numbers to go down (blood pressure, sugar, BMI, etc.) We set the goal of 135. This seemed more like dreaming...

I started the end of July and today I weigh 150. I am a size 8 - CrAzY. Not sure if 135 is really where I will end up - but I'm super happy where I am today. If I ended here and maintained here, I'd be thrilled.

All that matters is that YOU feel good and that YOU are proud of YOU!! Good luck!
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 - started at 220lb and currently sitting at 159lb

I am happy here but going going to try and get down to 150lb

I am between a size 10-12 (uk) depending on shop!

xx
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently weight 162lbs (with 22lbs to go). I'm a size 10-12UK, 8-10US

Over the holidays I tried my "skinny aunt's" clothes, she's 5'8 and 120lbs and her size 10 too big for me.

She is 5 inches taller, but I weigh 42 pounds more, but am thinner than her. Really it all depends on your body type. I am very solidly/muscularly built and will never weight 120 unless I forgo the muscle, which just isn't an option.

I've lost 108 pounds and have been very focused on the numbers for a long time, but am now coming to accept, it's not about the numbers, it's how I look and feel. And darnit- I look and feel great! (go on- have a feel!) :laugh:
  • HealthyIrishLass
    HealthyIrishLass Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking 145-150ish for me. I'm guessing that will put me in 8's & 10's, I wore 8's at 145 before I had the twins.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You sound about like me. I'm 5'5 with a large-ish frame, broad shouldered. I just weighed this morning and at 174 (starting weight was around 220), I've got room to breathe in a size 12. I would like to see an 8/10, maybe 150lbs, but I really don't know until I start getting there. Everyone carries weight differently, and some folks are toned, and "overweight" yet wear a small size because muscle is so dense. Others appear heavier, but weigh less. Its just up to you and as you get there, you'll see what works.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 48 (really?? How did that happen!!) 5'5" (sure I used to be 5'6") and finding a US 12 a squeeze at persnt (that'sa 16 in UK sizes). I started at 182 lb last week and want to get to 147/150 ish so I can get back into my nice summer dresses without looking like a big sausage. Doing the zips up even would be a start.
  • Empots88
    Empots88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think your weight goal is perfectly realistic! And I totally agree, personally I think us ladies look better with curves....its just a matter of getting them in the right places! Some peoples bodies look good at size 8 if they have a small frame but it does massively depend on your frame, I would be happy to be a size 12, currently a 16 :(
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 3/4. I started at 185 in a size 15. I'm now 122lbs n a size 4. I am small framed. I would just try to make getting to a healthy body fat % ur goal, whatever weight tht may land u at.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, and at 19 years old, my starting weight was 180lbs!

I reached my original goal weight of 130lbs over a year ago, and have since been maintaining in the 120's where I'm very happy to stay. I'm by no means 'skinny' but I'm slim and fit and I don't have trouble finding clothes to fit me nicely.

However, I have a very small frame! So 120 would look best on me, but I still haven't reached that number. I'm under no pressure, though :smile:

According to BMI, the 'healthy' range for our height is anywhere between 112 and 150, so I'd make 150 your ultimate goal weight :happy:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" (I always say 5'6" plus heels but I try to be good with fitness calculators). I started again six months ago when I hit 82kg (180lbs). I'm not sure what to aim for. I think I want to be between 63-70kg (140-154lb) but I'm not sure if I should be slimmer than that.

I mean, I'm aiming for "fitter" and "healthier" but I don't know what those will be in numbers.
  • kristengoldsmith73
    Options
    hi im 5'9 110.2 kgs ive already lost 20 kgs but i desperately want to be in the double digits again i haven't been there since before i had my babys ill be happy when ive dropped another 10 then ill reassess i think my optimal weight would be 80 kgs just gotta keep motivated :)
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    HI I am 45, medium boned and 5'5" and weight 143. I fit into a 4 slack comfortably, 6 jean and Med/Small tops. Personally I could live at this weight the rest of my life, I went from 189 size 14-16 to this. I want to be 135 which would be 1 size down but it will required some real work. I am going to try but you will find that sweet spot where your body, mind and weight seem to just love to a hang. I think 140-145 is really good for us 5'5" people.