Clean eating.

Options

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't you eat meat? meat is clean food to as long as you don't lace it with oil or has a low fat ratio.
    Fat is dirty?

transsaturated fat yes.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u doing fine haha i think u over concerned .... u really not eating dirty , i dont see snickers bars and mc donalds / stick to the wholegrains like u are , and increase your lean protein ( chicken , fish , beef, eggs, cottage cheese etc ) def more protein
  • flanyo
    flanyo Posts: 15
    Options
    Body for life is a good book/plan for anyone serious and focused on getting fit, healthy and strict with their diet.

http://bodyforlife.com/

You don't have to do it 100% to get the results. It has good tips/facts & myths in there to help you and you can adapt the eating plan to suit yourself, it's worth a look??

I sometimes struggle with eating clean as I like all the bad foods that taste great but are so unhealthy. It is mind over matter and depends how much you want it?
    All the best with it & good luck, you can do it...
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are some really good frozen dinners out there but they can be expensive. The cheap ones have low quality products and lots of salt, so should not be your main diet.

My suggestion (form someone who lived on frozen dinners) get a small grill (George Foreman single person grills are quite cheap) Then all you do is throw on a piece of meat with little or no seasoning and eat with either your favorite potatoes (mash, boiled, etc.) or try cous cous or quinoa which cooks up with just adding boiled water or instant soup mix for flavour, goes will with some feta cheese and you could try introducing one green vegetable to this.

I use my Grill to make far too many grilled cheese sandwiches but I sneak in veggies like tomatoes or peppers so get something better rounded.

Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Many try the all or nothing approach and fail very quickly. I recommend cutting down not cutting out. Remove one bad item, replace it with one good item. Do that for a week, get used to it, then introduce more healthy food into your diet. Occasional unhealthy days are fine.

Of course, losing weight is a different matter - Eat **** and Diet! Calories count.

What do you mean losing weight is a different matter? I've always been under the impression that a clean diet is better for weight loss and to lower body fat?

You're not the only one. If you aim for a mild calorie deficit, the weight will continue to come off.

What happens when people want to lose weight is that they cut out all the bad snacks they used to eat and find they lose weight - not because they're eating healthily but because they're eating fewer calories!

That said, I recommend you eat healthily as it is better for you.
  • iamthecatsass
    Options
    Don't you eat meat? meat is clean food to as long as you don't lace it with oil or has a low fat ratio.

Unless you buy your meat from a small farm that raises its meat free range and without feeding it crap and injecting it with hormones, antibiotics and steroids, your meat is NOT clean.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    Make healthy choices, you seemed like a person that understand what processed foods are, do you like to cook? I do and I prefer to know what goes in to the food I eat so that helps me a lot. My journey to weight loss thought me how to recognize healthy food and make healthy choices hey nobody's perfect I do have my cheat days but in moderation. When grocery shopping look at the labels and check the package and the ingredients, recognize which is better for you because labels can be very deceiving too.

Bottomline is when your body start changing that's when you realize you're doing the right thing. Small steps. Do it and feel empowered by it! yes you can! best of luck.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I love veg and fruit, There are a lot of things I used to hate that I ate until I liked, such as olives, cucumber, bananas....

I'd cut out things like low fat chocolate mousse and quavers, make your own mousse, eat nuts instead of crisps. Your current food list sounds like a stereotypical low cal diet.
    Have a look online for some recipes and stuff. I love eggs for breakfast, avocado and chicken or fish salad for lunch, sweet potato with meat and veg of some sort (curry, bolognese, chilli, stew, all different ways of having the same things) and snack on nuts, fruit, drink whole milk. My diet isnt 100% perfect, but I eat good, unprocessed food. It seems you know what you want in terms of your body, so good luck :)
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So basically, wanting to lose weight & get lean and toned - my current diet won't sabotage that & I don't NEED to eat clean?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Its depends what your goals are? A clean diet will definitely help you get the body fat down. Personally, I always feel if you can eat better and want to, then why not? Processed food is a bit rubbish, and I'd be willing to bet that very few female figure models or body builders would reply on things like ready meals as part of their diet :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Thing is, if you eat stuff that makes you feel bloated eg bread, the bloat is under the fat and muscle; it's in your intestine so technically, wheat is not making you fat, it's just expanding the area inside your "pipework". Much like filling your digestive tract with sand will make you look large even if you're not actually "fat". Stuff like salt will result in water retention in the fat cells so that increases your fat cell size. But it's the fat in the fat cell that needs reducing. Lost water weight will make you feel good but it is temporary and meaningless in the scheme of things.

So, eating less of anything will help.

Also, compare sodium, protein and calorie levels in 100g of cottage cheese, oatcakes and a packet of Nik Naks.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Expect it to take time. In my BC years (before children) I didn't eat any vegies other than peas and carrots. When I fell pregnant I decided I wasn't just eating for me anymore, I had a baby to nourish too, so I FORCED myself to start eating all sorts of healthy things that I had previously HATED. These days you can often find me hanging out for or drooling over a big bowl of steamed vegies - the point is: YOU CAN CONDITION YOUR TASTEBUDS. It will take time but it can be done. And you know what? YOU'RE WORTH IT!!

My favourite saying is 'Feed your body, not your tongue'.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How.. how do people manage it? I so want to eat clean and cut out all processed crap, not just for my health but to help with my weight loss and exercise journey.

I'm not a veggie fan, anything green and I can't stomach it without heaving. And I'm not a fan of most fruits either.. The fruits and vegetables I do like probably aren't the best ones - bananas, apples, potatoes and carrots.

Currently I'm calorie counting but eating whatever I fancy within those calories - mainly processed frozen ready meals and low fat yogurts. And I can't help but feel like I'm not doing my best because of the foods I'm eating.. and that if I ate clean I'd feel better, be able to perform better during exercise and lose weight better while maintaining muscle mass.

I've tried clean eating before, and after two days just gave up. I can't seem to stand the taste or texture of salad or vegetables!

Is there a way to train yourself to eat healthier and clean?

Keep doing what is working for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So basically, wanting to lose weight & get lean and toned - my current diet won't sabotage that & I don't NEED to eat clean?

All that is required is a calorie deficit, a reasonable one, not a big, huge one.
  • Danyell1205
    Danyell1205 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    like the glasses ... u dont HAVE to eat clean , eating clean is optimal for health reasons , not weight gain/loss ... i prefer eating clean because i get more quantity over taste ;)

I AGREE!!!
    I eat a lot of chicken and vegatables (steamed) for dinner and I can load up on the veggies and I feel satified afterwards!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I've heard some of the most fit, and knowledgeable people on this site say not to worry about that too much. Eating "clean" isn't going to affect your weight loss. Eat the foods you enjoy as long as it fits into your calorie goals and you are hitting your macros numbers. They good thing about "eating clean" (for me anyways), is that I tend to feel more full when I eat "good" foods as opposed to microwave dinners or fast foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This post is addressed to everyone --

My current diet consists of -

Wholemeal bread
    Pancakes
    Breakfast waffles
    Crumpets
    Low fat yogurts (muller lights)
    Hot chocolate sachets
    Low fat chocolate mousse
    Quavers crisps
    Bananas, apples
    Potatoes
    Frozen reduced fat ready meals
    Eggs & egg whites
    Low fat grated cheddar cheese
    Mild cheddar sticks & low fat soft cheese
    Skimmed milk
    Sugar free squash
    Weetabix, shredded wheat

Does anyone see anything I should remove from my diet, or have anything I should add? To me I feel like my entire diet should be clean, and that I should be eating lots of fish, chicken, red meat & eggs, fruit and veggies & natural yogurt etc

is that all you eat? dont you get bored eatign the same things all the time?
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great- you can even sneak in stuck like handfuls of kale and not have to deal with texture. They taste delicious!

You might be able to lose weight on junk food but there's a ton more to health and feeling great than slimness....
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been Eating Clean for the past year and have lost 20lbs and 7% BF. I also exercise 5 days a week (mostly). I have a blog with some really good links to help you get started with clean eating = http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/WendyFitMom

Another AWESOME link is http://www.heandsheeatclean.com. They have wonderful ideas and a whole section on getting started. Also any books by Tosca Reno would be really good for you to check out as well as Oxygen and Clean Eating Magazine.

I've taking a different approach this year and cutting out more wheat and focusing getting my carbs from veggies / fruits and grains.

The book Dare to Lose by Dr. Shari Lieberman is really good. Although it's a bit dated, she has some basic ideas and a great detox program that will get you rid of your sugar / simple carb cravings so you can eat clean better.

Feel free to add me if you need some support on-going on your Eat Clean mission. Again, I've been doing it for a year and LOVE it!!

Wendy
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What about bulk cooking? Find a recipe for the things you are buying as ready meals and then cook enough for (say) 4 people, e.g. lasagne/spaghetti bolognese. You can have one portion fresh and freeze the others, then when you come home you can bung a "ready meal" in the microwave and you're done.

It may not be gospel "eating clean" but at least you have a chance to control the ingredients (high quality meat, low sodium. etc.)