Eggs - good or bad for you?

Options
Hey ya! Are eggs good or bad for you & on average how many are you okay to consume within a week?

Replies

• tazzy2805
    Options
    most will say the egg white are great try limit the amount of the yolks u eat as the cals are in the yolk so egg whits omeleets and such are fine but i am no expert sure some ppl will say lots diff to me
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome for you.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs i like them ,yolk and all .
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    eggs are natures platinum source of protein ... eat them according to your macros ;)
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    They say if you want to watch your cholesterol from eggs, to eat no more than 4 whole eggs a week. If you eat whites, you’re ok. The yolk is where most of the cholesterol (and calories) are.

Overall, I think it really depends on your own cholesterol (if it's low or high). I definitely eat more than 4 whole eggs a week!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It irks me when people say eggs are bad, eggs are high in this or that. The cholesterol in eggs is the GOOD kind, meaning it LOWERS the bad cholesterol. I've read many studies done about this, but that's just my opinion. Same with the fats in eggs. They're GOOD fats. Healthy, wholesome, delicious source of good fats and protein. Some people just eat the whites, but I think that's such a waste. You're wasting the animal, you're wasting the nutrition. Without the yolk you may escape a few calories, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the goodness. I say eat the whole egg! :smile:

I'd say I eat about 6 a week at max. Probably closer to 4, depending on the week.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you.

Yes the yokes have more calories in but if you plan them as part of your daily intake they are fine.

The cholesterol issue is not one am going to wade into as there are many schools of thought on this, but if i'm eating eggs I eat yolks as well otherwise it is a waste of something perfectly edible, and too much perfectly good food gets wasted, particularly in uk and usa
  • Pamsa74
    Options
    I love my eggs :laugh:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Love eggs! Even have my own chickens :wink: I eat them all the time I get most of my protein from them.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I generally have 2 eggs a day. I love poached egg for breakfast.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat more than a dozen eggs a week. Some weeks approaching 18. This week we have duck eggs - they're monsters, so I won't have as many. We have boiled eggs as snacks, or eggs at breakfast - poached, scrambled, omlettefied or in pancakes. You don't feel hungry after eggs at breakfast. We've bought egg whites in a carton in the past to better balance out the protein / fat macros, but we don't have any at the moment. I'm not scared of that cholesterol number!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs whenever I like.

They are a relatively low calorie way to fill up - and add protein.

Eggs for breakfast keep me happy until lunch. Anything else makes me want to snack.

According to the British Heart Foundation the cholesterol in eggs isn't so bad - I choose to believe them. :)

http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love eggs .........

2 Every morning poached for breakfast.
    Sometimes I'll have a couple of hardboiled eggs with lunch and if I don't, I'll probably have an omelette for dinner.

Personally I probably consume 25-30 eggs per week.
  • Ijustdecided
    Ijustdecided Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In an effort to up my protein intake I have started haivng a mushroom and onion omelette for breakfast every now and again and find they are really filling, don't eat into my calories allowance too much and most importnantly they are yummy x
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    All foods are good in some way, and all foods are bad in exess. It's all about balance.

Anyways, the thing people say negatively about eggs is the colesterol, because yes, it has a good bit of that, both LDL and HDL - HDL transports LDL to the liver, so if you don't have enough HDL, all the LDL will mess around in your blood, and if they are small enough, they can cause some havoc if you have way too many.

So eggs have a lot of the LDL, but because they also have a lot of HDL, they make sure not to leave too much of the LDL hanging around in your blood. And, eggs can actually make some of you LDL bigger, so it can't enter your artery walls, which is where they can cause trouble.

So unless you know you have to watch your cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about enjoying your omelets :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Eggs are amazing for you!

We eat them daily.

Whole eggs may have more calories then whites but they pack a lot more nutrients.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eggs are very good for you! I eat about 6 a day.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    eat 4-8 eggs a day... 30 count carton, but then again it means I don't get ice cream.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    They are good for you. I eat 4 whole eggs everyday.
  • NewLeafEats
    NewLeafEats Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One of the best foods you could ever eat. I could site sources.

I eat about a dozen a week. Sometimes less. Sometimes more.