Anyone cutting out fruit?

Options
I recently read a diet plan that says fruit should be cut out.

Has anyone cut fruit out of their diet?

I didn't plan to, but since I read it i'm thinking that maybe I should.

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I only eat fruit on my cheat day, so once a week. I'm on a under 100 carb diet, and the sugar in fruit really spikes insulin levels.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    nope.
    there is no reason to cut fruit out of your diet... people get all worked up because of the amount of sugar that are in a piece of fruit, but they are natural sugars. it's not the same as eating a snickers bar.
    fruit is good for you! full of fiber, vitamins and minerals :)

give fruit a chance ♥
  • mjoymarshall
    Options
    I eat fruit every day. I have a sweet tooth, and I choose fruit now over chocolate or cake. I tend to stick with melons which, while they are high in sugar they are low in calories and super high in water.

I guess it all depends on your personal diet/food plan.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Tried that for a few months. Works great for strength training, losing fat and retaining muscle. However, for intense cardio- running, swimming, and spinning- need sugar during exercise or impossible to complete. Thus, I now time when I eat the fruit. Banana just when entering the gym. Banana and apple before a run or bike ride. Occassional berries throughout the day. I ate a peach yesterday afternoon-big mistake- spiked insulin and went to sleep. I also try to stay at 100 or less carbs a day. At that level, I can still run 6 miles easily. If I up the mileage for a marathon, I will up the carbs.
  • Haniabebe
    Options
    Its totally fine to have 1-2 serving of fruit per day, just choose your fruits carefully, I would stay away from high sugar fruit like bananas or grapes.
  • mrspryz
    mrspryz Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't really have a set diet plan...I try not to eat any sweets, crisps, chocolate, cakes etc and try avoid processed foods.

But since cutting crisps out (I used to eat around 2 packets a day), I have started eating more fruit.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut them out entirely, but I've cut out certain high sugar ones and cut down on how often I eat them. Your body treats the sugar in fruit the same way it treats sugar from candy and anyone that says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Fructose is very easily and quickly broken down by the body. I mainly eat grapefruit and berries now.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating high sugar fruits, still eating stuff like berries, red and black currants, grapefruit, avocado, tomatoes and pumpkin because they contain the same amount as or less sugar than many vegetables.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That idea never made any sense to me. Fruit is perfect food for humans. Look at our closest relatives--chimps, gorillas, gibbons all love fruit. It has vitamins, fiber, and a type of sugar that does not interfere with your insulin levels as much as sucrose. This is why diabetics can eat things that are sweetened with fruit juice but not sugar.

One of my earliest successes in controlling my weight was replacing dessert with fruit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The only reason to cut it is if you are diabetic, or temporarily for some fitness goal. The benefits of fruit far outweigh any negatives. The sugar in fruit is easily processed by your body, unlike other forms of added sugars.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I guess my concern would be: what are you replacing those calories with? If you're cutting out fruit to eat more bread and other processed foods, cutting out the fruit is not going to be helpful, and will keep you from getting some vitamins with those empty calories. Fruit does have nutritional value, but its not mandatory for good health that you eat it. If you want to cut out fruit to eat more veggies, nuts, and lean protein, that's perfectly fine.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sugar in fruit really spikes insulin levels.

this... so I also limit my fruit intake ... I am insulin resistant so the sugar is not good for my body.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I recently read a diet plan that says fruit should be cut out.

Has anyone cut fruit out of their diet?

I didn't plan to, but since I read it i'm thinking that maybe I should.
    Well if you read it, then it must be true
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    nope.
    there is no reason to cut fruit out of your diet... people get all worked up because of the amount of sugar that are in a piece of fruit, but they are natural sugars. it's not the same as eating a snickers bar.
    fruit is good for you! full of fiber, vitamins and minerals :)

give fruit a chance ♥
    I agree 100%. It goes well with any plan to avoid processed foods. I'm one of those people who say eat all the fruits & veggies that you want.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Wow...never heard of cuttinv fruit. Interesting.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Nope! Fruit is important just like vegetables. However, I try to keep my fruit to low glycemic. I eat more vegetables then fruit daily
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of berries, pretty much every day. I've actually tested the meals I eat to see how they affect my blood glucose, so I know that the berry smoothies I have in the morning aren't sending my glucose levels too high. Nor have I had any problem losing or maintaining, as long as I keep the calorie balance.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That idea never made any sense to me. Fruit is perfect food for humans. Look at our closest relatives--chimps, gorillas, gibbons all love fruit. It has vitamins, fiber, and a type of sugar that does not interfere with your insulin levels as much as sucrose. This is why diabetics can eat things that are sweetened with fruit juice but not sugar.

One of my earliest successes in controlling my weight was replacing dessert with fruit.

Re: diabetes - that is incorrect information. ALL sugar, whether it's from processed foods or fruit, spikes your insulin levels the same way. My godson is a 6-yr-old type 1 diabetic. If his sugar goes low, a good way to spike his sugar fast is to give him apple juice. A diabetic needs to be does for the carb, regardless of where the carb is derived from. Just FYI :smile:
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have at least 4 or 5 items of fruit a day, they are good sugars, but like anything should be done in moderation. If really hung up on it, go for the berries (rasp, straw, blue etc..) these are awesome for you and low in sugar levels, melons also.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have cut them out for now because I'm doing low carb. I'll still snitch a grape now and then, though. :wink: