Is it good to drink a protien shake after a cardio workout?

Options
Hi all! I was wondering if anybody knows if it is a good idea or bad idea to drink a protein shake after a cardio workout. Or is it only beneficial after a strength training session? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jrevels86
    jrevels86 Posts: 13
    Options
    Protein should be consumed after anabolic (strength/weight) training only. Stick with sugary drinks after a cardio workout like Gatorade or something.
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about the subject, but you are still exerting energy, and muscles are still working. I would think that you could benefit from protein even after a cardio only routine. Maybe not as much as a protein shake, but I still like to have some usually in the form of milk, chocolate milk, string cheese, yogurt,etc.
  • hanzj
    hanzj Posts: 2
    Options
    The answer to this really depends on how much strength training you do and how intense your cardio sessions are. If you are trying to put on some muscle and strength training at least 3 times a week, then you need more than your recommended protein intake(can't build muscle without protein). Additionally, if your cardio sessions are intense where you keep your heart rate at a higher percentage of your maximum heart rate then you will want the extra protein as to not starve your muscle's recovery. I personally take my protein before my cardio.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Most of my work outs are high heart rate (according to my HRM) and predominantly cardio related..I just started drinking protein shakes when I get home from the gym this week and i already feel a difference in my body not hurting so much after a workout. Sore, yes, but not so sore I want to crawl the next day.
    So for me, I do drink protein smoothies (spinach, milk and water, ice and protein powder) after any work out. Its also a nice way to eat back some of my exercise cals. I don't feel super hungry at night when I get home from the gym, so a smaller meal and smoothie is perfect.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Protein should be consumed after anabolic (strength/weight) training only. Stick with sugary drinks after a cardio workout like Gatorade or something.

what?

Protein is good for you any time of the day........especially after weightlifting and before bed time. Whole food proteins are always better than shakes, but a shake any time of the day as a meal replacement is fine.
  • prrizza425
    prrizza425 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help all. I think I agree with most of you. I know cardio is not as much muscle breakdown as strength training, but it must breakdown some muscle otherwise you wouldn't feel sore, right? So a little shot of protein can't be harmful.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options

what?

Protein is good for you any time of the day........especially after weightlifting and before bed time. Whole food proteins are always better than shakes, but a shake any time of the day as a meal replacement is fine.

I'm no expert, but I do know that if your going to have anything extra it would be way better to have protein, rather than sugar!!:noway:
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Hi all! I was wondering if anybody knows if it is a good idea or bad idea to drink a protein shake after a cardio workout. Or is it only beneficial after a strength training session? Thanks in advance.

i'd stick with water...that's what you really want after a good sweat...if the blood sugar is low, throw in a fruit. less calories than the protein shake.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    YES! you want to eat something HIGH in protein after a work out....

read this

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakebenefits.htm
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES....do it...great for lean muscle mass and recovery