How did you get into running?

Options
I really want to enjoy running. Unfortunately, I hate it! My fiance is in the National Guard and always talks about how much he loves running and it's something that anyone can learn to use. I live in Iowa and it's kind of icy and snowy out right now, so going outside may not be an option. I also have bad knees and high arches that give me terrible foor pain when working out. I do have an elliptical. Would that help me with running in any way? We plan on getting a gym membership as soon as we can afford it but right now the gym isn't an option for us either. TIA

Replies

• WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    I got into running from reading about other friends on here who enjoy it. I never thought it would interest me, but I was surprised! It does. It's tough at first when you are building up your capacity to use oxygen more efficiently. That was the worst part of it for me. I had been into weightlifting before running so I have some leg muscles that could handle any of the running... it was just the cardio that I had to work myself into. Only took about a month before I was actually hooked.

I would never have done it if someone else was encouraging me and I didn't really want it though. It was all me. Just got it in my head to do it and did it.

Get fitted for shoes!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i've been into running off and on now for 14 years. i got into it because i was trying to drop weight for my wedding (14 years ago) then after the wedding i tore my acl that was the end of my "running". fast forward 12 years and a friend convinced me to enter an 8k with her like a dope and not knowing how far an 8k was i signed up. quit running after that race. last year i turned 40 and after deciding i need to change everything about my eating habits and health in general i started to jog on the treadmill. yet another friend convinced me to enter a 5k mud run with her and again like a dope i did. LOVED IT!!!!! loved everything about the mud run including the running. haven't looked back. i've done 2 5k mud runs, 1 5k color run, an 8k and a 10k. this year i'm running a half marathon plus lots of other little races. just got myself a garmin forerunner to help me train.

i also have bad knees and high arches - invest in good sneakers. it'll make a world of difference. go to a running store and get fitted spend the money (normally i don't advice this to anyone that's just starting out because i feel like you need to try it first to see if you like it and will be committed before spending lots of cash on sneakers (mine were $140) but since you have feet/knee issues it's probably smart for you to invest in a good pair. good luck and give it a try. maybe if you enter a race (they have all kinds of crazy fun races now - mud runs, foam runs, color runs, water runs) you'll start to enjoy it.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You will hate it until you see yourself making progress, then I bet you will like it. As for your feet, they make specific running shoes for high arches...go get fitted and see if they have anything that will help. Best of Luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always hated running too, but something clicked in my head about a year ago, and I decided to challenge myself and add running to my exercise routine. I saw a lot of people here at MFP talk about the c25k program (or Couch to 5k), so I looked it up online, read over the program, found myself a free phone app for it, and off I went. Nine weeks later I was running the 5k distance without stopping, and nearly a year later, I'm still going. :bigsmile:

I would definitely recommend finding a good running store and getting fitted for running shoes that are right for your feet. If you've got a smart phone or iPod, download an app (I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs), check out the overview of the program and see how it fits into your schedule for the next nine weeks. And then go for it! I followed the program exactly, going out just three days a week, and running as slowly as I needed to in order to be able to complete each segment - slow running is still running! :smile:

A great motivator is to find a 5k race in your area about 10 or 12 weeks out from when you start the program, and register for it! It helps keep you on track, and it's a great way to celebrate what you accomplished - and racing is fun!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I got into running because I needed something to do when it was too wet out to ride.

I started enjoying running when I found a rhythm with my breathing/stride and could then get into longer distances (5+ miles)

Bad knees might be an issue, but high arches shouldn't... just make sure you have shoes that fit properly.

Lastly... if you don't like running, why are you trying to force yourself to enjoy it? Is it something anyone can learn? Sure. Is it something that is good for most people to be able to do at some basic level? Yep. Is it necessary? Hell no.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started because like you I wanted something I could do with my husband. We signed up for a turkey trot together 3 years ago. Got in a huge fight on the way down (he said my 10 minute mile pace was so slow I should just be walking). Stopped talking to him but kept running. I have found my love for longer distances. It doesn't get easy or comfortable for me until after the first 3 miles...then I hit a zone. Ironically my husband has stopped running.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hate running until I do it enough until I can run a few miles at a decent pace. OK, at least 2 miles at under 10 minutes per mile--nothing too crazy! I want to be able to run 3-5 miles without feeling terrible and being miserable. I've only run more than 2 miles in a row a few times. I'm starting over with the c25k plan right no, even though the first couple weeks are easy for me, but I'm starting from the beginning regardless!

Once you build it up enough so you don't feel like you're dying, I find it very enjoyable to run outside. On a treadmill I find too boring.

If I were you, I'd do as much cardio (elipitcal or whatever) and stretching/flexibility as you can at home right now, and then get some good running shoes and start running outside as SOON as the ice melts and it's safe. The other cardio and stretching won't help directly with the running, but it will at least build up your cardio base and help you to prevent injuries when you start running.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I ran track and cross country from 7th grade through high school. That was.... 23 years ago. ugh.

I've run in all kinds of weather - sub zero through upper 90s. Really hot weather running is much worse than really cold! At least when it's cold, you can add layers. I'm in metro Boston now, last night went for a run when it was 42 and melting snow everywhere wearing a jacket and tights and hat and gloves. Ran monday night in the same outfit when it was 25 and still quite icy. I was a full minute slower per mile though!
  • ScaleAndSteel
    Options
    Hello,

I rarely post in these forums or read them for that matter but this post kind-of hit me. I think because I was in the same spot a couple of years ago.

You will likely think I am a jerk for this but hopefully it helps.
    I really want to enjoy running.

Translation = but I am lazy

Unfortunately, I hate it!

An excuse
    My fiance .... I live in Iowa and it's kind of icy and snowy out right now, so going outside may not be an option.

An excuse
    I also have bad knees and high arches that give me terrible foor pain when working out.

An excuse
    I do have an elliptical. Would that help me with running in any way?

Translation = I may have used it once or twice but it sits there collecting dust and watching over my old stack of cook books now.
    We plan on getting a gym membership as soon as we can afford it but right now the gym isn't an option for us either. TIA

An excuse

First of all absolutely dust off that elliptical and start using it. It is a good exercise and helps build cardio. You bought it or got it at some point, make use of it.

Second, the high-arch and foot pain stuff AND shin splints that many people complain of will almost always become a non-issue with the proper pair of shoes. You simply go to a running/sports shoe specialty shop and let the experts guide you. They will get you into shoes that deal with your pronation, gate, etc... and those very common issues become non-issues.

Third as for the weather and hating running, how about start by walking. Commit yourself to 2 months of walking 5 days a week for one hour. Make a walking path and even use your car to measure the distance. Get a stop watch or use a wrist watch and time yourself. Over the winter-snowy months work on your timing. Try to walk just a few seconds faster each time but enjoy it. Also start thinking about how when the snow is gone you will be RUNNING this exact same path. Prepare yourself for it and accept it as fact. Also practice getting lost in your thoughts as you memorize the path. A good runner often times is "lost" in thought for most of their run. Use the elliptical to help build your cardio levels during this time too.

I am only responding because I was in the same situation not long ago. It is vital that you recognize what you are saying. For me, once I understood that I was really just making excuses I was then able to finally do the things I wanted to do. Think about it. If you really wanted to do something, you would make it happen I bet. Don't let excuses get in the way of your desire to run. On the other hand if you just simply hate running and the idea of it makes you want to shutter in a corner - then go lift weights. Lifting weights is as good if not better then running anyways. Also if your a chick lifting weights will not make you look like Arnold so don't even think that. I still think its funny how women think they will do four bicep curls and have Arnolds arms the next day.

Just my thoughts. Hope you get where you want to go.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate it but love what it does for my cardio.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Honestly you have to push through the suck for a long time. I used to smoke, so I have been trying to like it for 3 years. I quit 2 years ago and now I love it
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I got into running because I was out of shape and overweight. Then a friend suggested we do the C25K program and it took off from there. 8 years later, I love to run. I'm in much better shape. I can't image not running now.

I also didn't want to spend tons of time at the gym and all running required was stepping out my front door. Shoes were all I needed so it seemed convenient too.

Good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I got bored with walking so started adding in sprint intervals until I was running more than walking. I too live in Iowa and still make it outside quite often, just gotta dress for the part!
  • You will hate it until you see yourself making progress, then I bet you will like it. As for your feet, they make specific running shoes for high arches...go get fitted and see if they have anything that will help. Best of Luck!

/\/\/\ I used to HATE it!! I sucked at it! But I stuck to interval running (2 min walking, 2 min running) until one day I thought Oh to hell with it and I started running on the treadmill. I set the time to 20 minutes and just wanted to see how long I would last (I had never run longer than 2 minutes at a time). I just ran. Once I looked down to see the elapsed time it said 7 minutes. I couldn't believe it!! I kept going and ran for the full 20 minutes, dripping in sweat!

It was the most awesome feeling ever. I felt on top of the world! I was always the couch potatoe, but now I ran 20 minutes!! From then on I started running more and longer. My first run outdoor was awful. I started crying while running and I can promiss you, you get out of breath quickly that way ;). I wanted to stop because I sucked big time at running. But I kept going.

I ran my first 5K two months later :happy: . I'm now training for a 10K!

You'll feel crap at first because you think you suck at running. Just keep going. Once you'll see progress you're going to love it!!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. With a passion. I'm now in love with running (even though its icy and dangerous in Michigan during winter) and try to get out here and there. Weather permitting. I eased into it from being sedentary, walking to faster walking/longer walking. Then began intervals, run for 30 secs, walk 30, run for 30, walk for 30. Slowly increased the run intervals day by day/week until I was running for 3 walking for 1. And like magic one day I forgot to walk. It was a nice day. That was less than 6 months ago, I ran 12 miles a bit ago when the weather was nice, and planning a half marathon this spring :) All it takes is time, and to push through the inevitable pain of transition. Your body will adapt :D

Can't overstress the importance of a decent pair of shoes. (for running at least)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I started out just wanting to be able to walk a 5K without getting a migraine or feeling like I was going to die. Then I found out that Disney Parks had 5K events, but for some it required finishing in a 16 minute mile, so I decided I could do that with a combination of running and walking. From there it became a personal thing to run more, run longer, etc.

Before I knew it, I was signed up to do one the Disney Half Marathons in 2010. And I've been running ever since. I will be completing my 9th half marathon in a week and a half. The running thing becomes addicting.

My advice is to start slow, don't push yourself too hard but always try to do a just bit more (longer or farther). And set attainable goals... sign up for a 5k or other event so you have something to work for.

Good luck and have fun! :happy:
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I still don't love it, but do it every other day 'cause I'm too far into it to quit now. I can run 3.5 miles and feel great afterwards (not always, but most of the time). I'm running at the Y in Grimes this afternoon at 4:15...grab a membership, treadmill and you can join me!!
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way up to it. I adopted two 16 year old boys that are very athletic. They also are in JROTC and have to run almost everyday. I want to spend time with them so this is my goal. To run 5 miles with both my boys one day.

I started walking 2.0 mph for 15 minutes on the treadmill that my inlaws bought me as a present from a used sporting goods store. It is an awesome treadmill and has been very reliable. Under 200 bucks I believe.

So I started slow yes. I held onto the side bars like I was 100 years old terrified that I would fall. It has been since August. I am now at 3.0 to 3.7 for 45 minutes to an hour. My calves and feet were horrible at first. I have to keep my toe nails wicked short now. I had to get socks that are the old school kind that come up half your calf because my ankle socks rubbed 1/2 ince deep holes in the back of my heels that took forever to heal. I had to go to the doctor for tearing scar tissue from my tail bone removal from all the friction of my backside...I know TMI.... My back burns most of the time BUT it's getting easier. My hips hurt but it will go away. My doctor says I have had atrify and my muscles are going to hurt like nuts until I break through the next level each time.

My boys run at 5.0 mph on the treadmill. They see I'm coming for them now. My eager beaver child has been up on it the past two nights pushing 7.0 mph. He had to use menthol patches, heating pads, and tylenol. I don't feel so crippled now lol. :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    If there's an area near you (but outside) with cleared sidewalks, you could run there. Even running on ice and snow can be done safely if you 1) train properly (it's basically cold trail running) and 2) wear the right gear (appropriate shoes with excellent traction like yaktrax or diy studs). But if you hate running and don't have a cleared area (I run around a local school parkinglot sometimes for intervals - clear and empty), this might not be the time to embrace one of the more difficult styles of running. Don't kill yourself!

I got into running in middle school. All my friends were on the soccer team, and had played in leagues since they were little. I wasn't in a league, and wasn't on a team. After spending a year never seeing my friends during soccer season, I decided I'd rather play soccer than be lonely, but since I wasn't on a league, and the team was already too big, I couldn't just sign up. The soccer coach also taught cross country - and if you ever wanted to play soccer, you had to run with the cross country team in the fall. So I ran cross country the next year with all my soccer friends, trying like hell to impress the coach so he'd let me on the soccer team.

It worked! I got on the team! I promptly discovered that running behind a soccer ball surrounded by people trying to knock me over and watched by people with whistles who yelled at me wasn't half as much fun as running without all that crap. So I quit soccer and just kept running. I got used to only seeing friends at lunch and before school, and have never looked back.

It's been 20 years now, and about once every 5 years I run into that coach. He maybe remembers me (I was pretty unremarkable, they were both big teams), but I thank him every time and tell him I'm still running, still pumping those hills, taking the corners, and finishing strong. When I get tired, it's his voice in my head urging me on, and it still works.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I too was very much like you. Hated running - would have never run a block, much less a mile. Then had a knee injury that made walking and stairs almost unbearable. I eased into it by walking - once I got where I was walking 4 miles at a crack I started reading about the couch to 5k. That program works really well to ease non-runners into it. The first several weeks, I had severe shin and heel problems. New shoes with inserts for additional support pretty much took care of that. Walking and then running strengthened my knees to the point where there is no pain now. Once and a while a twinge of something if there is sideways torque on the knee - but walking, running, stairs....problem solved. I don't think I would have gotten there without running. It would have been bearable, but not strong.

If you want it - you can do it.

building your cardio on the elliptical can't hurt. Why don't you download the c25k and do the hard/easy intervals on the elliptical until the weather improves - or on the days that it's just too slippery to be outside?

I'm in Wisconsin - and run outside as long as it is over 30-35 degrees. You CAN run and walk outside in Iowa in the winter. (it beats running in Florida in the summer hands down. :)

Good luck.