Travelling Alone

Options
buffybabe
buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
Good Morning all! I am leaving for a trip to Italy in a few weeks and I will be travelling alone. This is my first time travelling overseas by myself and have never been to Italy. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences, and could share some tips, places to go, places not to go etc. It would also be breat to hear from some folks who live there that could give me some insight as well. Thanks!:)

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Speaking at least a little bit of Italian will help greatly.

JM
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Speaking at least a little bit of Italian will help greatly.

JM

This!

I travelled across Mexico alone once... what an experience. It was a shame I chose French instead of Spanish as my foreign language in high school & college. Lol. I took a Lonely Planet guidebook and a translation book. The translation book was very helpful :)

Also... what I learned is to relax. Relax, smile and be open to those around you... while wary, of course. People are MUCH kinder than you expect in situations like this. I was helped numerous times by strangers. I will never forget how some of the locals bailed me out of some situations.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I travel alone all the time! And I love it.

I definitely am a planner though and need to feel like I know where I am going in order to feel comfortable. When I am traveling with someone else I generally relax and let whatever happen, but alone I always feel like I need to be on a mission. Enjoy yourself. Do somethng you wouldn't otherwise. Take your time. :)
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I went to Italy a few years ago on my own, and WOW! There were very few people who spoke any English at all. Definitely come prepared with a phrase book and possibly a dictionary.
  • ws8996
    ws8996 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually traveled alone to Italy the summer before my junior year of college. I lived in Rome in an apartment for 6 weeks. JM is right, you should know the common courtesy words. Know how to say hello, please, thank you, excuse me (most used phrase in Rome), "I would like" (when ordering food). I would say, the less Italian you know, the closer you should stay to the touristy spots. The workers around there will speak more English than the average Italian because they're used to tourism (their menus are also translated.)

As far as where to travel, Pompeii is amazing. You can get there by train and walk to the ruins which were like 15 euro when I was there. There's also a really nice restaurant about a quarter mile away from the train station that had a showcase of their food outside and it looked awesome and tasted better. Florence, Venice, Capri, etc. are also great places to go for the traditional tourism. Venice was a little too "Americanized" for me. There was a pizza called "Pizza Americana" which had hot dogs and french fries on it, pretty weird.

The food everywhere is great, try something different over there and the wine is cheaper than water with dinner generally. Try a Kebob shop when over there, it's not Italian food but they quickly became my go to food.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    +1 to take your time. I moved to Barcelona following my college graduation and just enjoyed every day. Having a plan is good, but being alright with varying from that plan will make the trip better. Keep an eye on your things, especially purse and wallets, as most tourist destinations are ripe with pick-pockets. Don't be afraid to ask for help. More people speak english than you may suspect!

Have fun!
  • Jvsg14
    Jvsg14 Posts: 5
    Options
    A lot of Italians speak a little bit of english, but a translation dictionary or smartphone app would be helpful. I LOVE Italy. Florence is fabulous - Must tour the Duomo and take the time to climb to the top of bell tower - the views are amazing. Rialto Bridge and the Uffitzi (sp?) museum are musts as well. In Rome, Vatican City, the Roman Forum and the Trevi Fountain. I was underwhelmed by the Colesseum but I know others like it. Only eat in small cafes to really enjoy the atmosphere. Run away from any American Restaurant, it spoils the trip. Pisa is really neat if you have a chance to get out there. Didn't love Pompeii - dirty and not tons to do. Venice is nice - St. Mark's Square is great and some of the glass-making shops have interesting demos. Venice is slightly harder to get around in if your Italian is limited, but you can't go to Venice without a Gondola trip. Enjoy!
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Travelled around the world for 5 1/2 months on my own about 10 years ago, although being male it's slightly different.

Having said that was a liberating experience and you definately learn to open up more to meet new people. Would say as tips make sure you don't put yourself in any situation where you feel awkward or uneasy, but be willing to engage other travellers in conversation, you'll likely meet some amazing people, and can have great experiences.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    CLOTHES SHOPPING A MUST!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Whenever I travel alone, I try to learn about the culture and the language. On one trip to Brazil, my interpreter never showed up. I met a guy that was sort of bilingual and learned a lot! If you have some language, you'll always feel a little more in control of things, the locals seem to warm up faster, and tell you more of what you really need to know.

Have fun, they have great food, lots of historical places to go. However long you stay, it won't be long enough!
  • buffybabe
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the great advice! I really appreciate it. I have bought an Italian dictionary that I have begun to study some, just so I know some things...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    only thing i'd add is to make sure this guy knows you are there. just in case...

reg_1024.taken.mh.100312.jpg
  • buffybabe
    Options
    only thing i'd add is to make sure this guy knows you are there. just in case...

reg_1024.taken.mh.100312.jpg

My dad has already threatened to volunterr hahaha
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Check out a website called memrise.com I use it for learning French and it's fantastic for building up vocab, some courses are geared to phrases rather than just words. They do loads of languages on there including Italian. It might help get you some basics before you go.

Enjoy!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I spent 6 months back packing through Europe after graduate school, travelled alone, besides spending time with people I met on the way. Here are some tips for Italy:

1. Get Rick Steeves book on Italy, best travel guide ever.
    2. Don't take the night train to southern Italy.
    3. Get a money belt, don't carry a purse in Rome.
    4. Venice, get lost, find a place to eat as far from St. Mark's square possible.
    5. Florence is wonderful, visit the museum's, but get your tickets before hand so you can skip the extremely long lines!
    6. The more southern you go in Italy, the more aggressive the men get with women travelling alone, not in a dangerous way I think, but I've seen the occasional cat call.
    7. Most people speak some english, but a few phrases in Italian are helpful.
    8. If the restaurant has english as its first language, skip it.
    9. Dont' be afraid to go off the beaten track!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the great advice! I really appreciate it. I have bought an Italian dictionary that I have begun to study some, just so I know some things...

Barnes and Noble has a "Learn Italian CD pack" for $10 in the bargain rack. :) Other than that, I have nothing to add but jealousy to this post. Enjoy!!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you but wish I was going! It's a goal of mine to go there before I turn 40.
    I also wish my friend was on here, she travels alone often, she went to Iceland last year by herself and had the time of her life. Her pictures were amazing. So with that said I'm sure you will, but take a ton of pics for memories and have a great time!!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I went to France on my own in September and learning just basic language skills is a must. Pleasantries, directions, travel, etc can get you most of the way. Knowing these skills also allows you to talk with locals, which I adore doing.

Also, research the areas that your visiting, and metro maps. People may try to take advantage of you, and I know Italy is notorious for pick pockets so be aware all of the time! Always know where you are and how to get home. Make copies of your passport, in case it gets stolen or lost, and keep your money and credit cards in multiple locations. A purse that zips shut and stays close on your body may be beneficial as well.

And most of all, have fun!! Try to venture out of the tourist-y places if you can. I love going to local hot spots and chatting up a stranger. So many stories.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I always put my passport, credit cards, and money in a bag around my neck under my clothes. I know seasoned travelers who have been the victim of pickpockets. I loved Florence and Rome was nice. Venice, not so much. Enjoy.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I spent 6 months back packing through Europe after graduate school, travelled alone, besides spending time with people I met on the way. Here are some tips for Italy:

1. Get Rick Steeves book on Italy, best travel guide ever.
    2. Don't take the night train to southern Italy.
    3. Get a money belt, don't carry a purse in Rome.
    4. Venice, get lost, find a place to eat as far from St. Mark's square possible.
    5. Florence is wonderful, visit the museum's, but get your tickets before hand so you can skip the extremely long lines!
    6. The more southern you go in Italy, the more aggressive the men get with women travelling alone, not in a dangerous way I think, but I've seen the occasional cat call.
    7. Most people speak some english, but a few phrases in Italian are helpful.
    8. If the restaurant has english as its first language, skip it.
    9. Dont' be afraid to go off the beaten track!

Read Line # 3.. This is sooooooo very true over there. They have ppl who will take it off of you w/o you even knowing, literally. Huge issue over there right now. And others are less skillful, they use the old smash and grab tactic. Be safe, have fun!!!