Tricking your Metabolism?

So, I know that eventually your metabolism does get used to your routine and adjusts your calorie burn and sometimes you have to "kick it in the butt" so to speak...but I read something that has me wondering...

I read something that said if you switch up your calories every day, ex...eat 1200 cals today 2000 cals tomorrow, 1200 the next day etc etc...that you will constantly be confusing your metabolism so your metabolism wont slow down to adjust to your routine, and you will continuously burn more.

Is there any truth in this?

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Bump - curious to see what it said about this :)
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    bump again...nobody has knowledge on this???
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Anecdotal, it seems to work for some people. You will get all sorts of answers, if people answer. But as far as I know there aren't any legitimate large scale peer reviewed studies on this.

Check out this post, as it explains it better than I could.

http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    I've heard that that's quite possibly the worst thing you can do for your metabolism, actually
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

Your resting metabolic rate will decrease in response to a chronic energy deficit. Shifting calories around by a few hours doesn't mean you're not still in a net deficit.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    do some jumping jacks
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    129163_f520.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

Your resting metabolic rate will decrease in response to a chronic energy deficit. Shifting calories around by a few hours doesn't mean you're not still in a net deficit.

This... also, your metabolism is always working and is not on a set 24 hour clock. You can't trick your metabolism. You either process food or run your bodies functions. And you will get better results by not suppressing the fuel coming into your system that much. A moderate deficit is better than a huge deficit for long term success.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    No
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    So, I know that eventually your metabolism does get used to your routine and adjusts your calorie burn and sometimes you have to "kick it in the butt" so to speak...but I read something that has me wondering...

I read something that said if you switch up your calories every day, ex...eat 1200 cals today 2000 cals tomorrow, 1200 the next day etc etc...that you will constantly be confusing your metabolism so your metabolism wont slow down to adjust to your routine, and you will continuously burn more.

Might want to check out SHRED Revolutionary Diet. Written by Dr. Ian something. Haven't tried it, but I hear one of things it things he talks about. But is more on a weekly or monthly basis.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member

No