Antibiotics?

Options
I was on antibiotics for just a few days and have been eating well and continued to workout, but my weight loss has stalled. I have read both that taking antibiotics will make you gain and others who had no problem to continue to lose. I just took the last one yesterday. Should I wait to weigh in again until next week to see a change?

Replies

• peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    I'd imagine it would take a few days but I would take some probiotics. Antibiotics kill everything even the good flora. And they replace that, or just eat some probiotic yogurt. Jut make sure o replace the old bacteria and that's when you should start seeing something.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was on antibiotics for just a few days and have been eating well and continued to workout, but my weight loss has stalled. I have read both that taking antibiotics will make you gain and others who had no problem to continue to lose. I just took the last one yesterday. Should I wait to weigh in again until next week to see a change?

One of the largest uses for antibiotics is in animal feed---it completely dwarfs the amount used for human consumption. Do animals have a lot more infection than people?? No--it is used to promote WEIGHT GAIN!

In addition, studies have been done that demonstrate that children who suffered many throat and ear infections and who were given many doses of antibiotics have a three-fold increase in obesity! This is thought to possibly be in response to the altering of types of bacteria in the gut. Researchers have noticed that those who are naturally thin often have three times the number and variety of intestinal flora as those who are obese. It is also known that eating a high carb diet--and specifically one containing a lot of sugar also alters the balance of gut bacteria. As a further note, taking children off of cow's milk is often all it takes to eliminate chronic throat and ear infections. There is a specific protein in cow's milk (I forget its name) that provokes many an allergic reaction. There is just a tiny, tiny amount of this protein in goat's milk.

The information is starting to trickle into the medical community, but the progress is slow. A friend was recently told by her family's physician to take her daughter off of cow's milk for the daughter's repeated ear infections. After switching her to goat's milk, the daughter never had another ear infection and it has been almost two years now. Before that she had been on antibiotics approximately every ten weeks. The daughter has also become obese (even though both the mother and father are trim). After the mother took her off of sugar (also suggested by the family physician) she begged for sweets for the first few weeks. The mother then took the daughter to a naturopath who recommended a product called Bio-K to correct intestinal flora imbalances and the child appears to be thriving and slimming down!

In addition to the problem of the alteration of gut flora, certain antibiotics (in the quinolone class) cause blood sugar surges. Those who are diabetic must avoid those antibiotics.

There are natural alternatives to antibiotics that do not cause the problems that antibiotics appear to cause. The most powerful is Oil of Oregano, which has powerful anti-microbial action on a variety of fronts---bacterial, viral and fungal. But it is not recommended to be administered orally to children. There are naturopathic ear drops for ear/throat infections that contain Oil of Oregano. There are also other naturopathic preparations for ear/throat infections. Another recommendation (in addition to taking them off of cow's milk) is that children who have repeated ear/throat infections should be taken completely off of any added sugar (no candy, cookies, etc.) and fruit juices. Natural fruit is just fine.